“Indian food for spice-averse people (with very high prices)” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #173 of 872 Restaurants in Kiev
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Indian food for spice-averse people (with very high prices)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

The restaurant is oddly situation, and certainly not easy to get to the first time you try. (It is right off a cloverleaf on major roads near the river.) We entered and were impressed by the decor, which is rather expensive. The menu, which has many pages, took us a while to peruse. I did notice immediately that these were pretty substantial prices for Ukraine, especially for a restaurant so far from the expensive downtown area: nearly every appetizer is more than $10; nearly every main dish is closer to $15/20.The food that came out (kofta, curry, chat), with the exception of the paratha (which was excellent!) was absolutely tasteless. So bland that I, who will eat most anything, couldn't eat it. (I believe that the dishes were seasoned to East European tastes - Ukrainians don't seem to like spicy food as much as those of us who are exposed to spicey food all of our lives.) After friendly consultations with us, the Indian chef cooked up a special meal.Those dishes, which weren't on the long, long menu, were fabulous, mostly because they contained actual Indian spices and ingredients (dal, . I would change my rating from a 4 to a 5 in a New York Minute if the restaurant would offer such delicious dishes on their regular menu! Definitely 5 for service, though!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Mississauga, Ontario
“Went down a bit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I reviewed New Bombay back in earlier in the year, but when I returned in Sept my experience was not as good. We arrive at about 9 pm on Saturday night and the place was empty. Strangely this was my experience at most of the better quality places in Kiev, very few people eating. Anyways this time around it seemed the portions were smaller then I remember and we had to even order more food and generally is was not good and fresh as I remember it from before. I think it might be time to check out another Indian place next time I return to Kiev.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Mississauga, Ontario
“Authentic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I ate there twice back in February 2013 and will come again. The food is good and fresh although "not spicy" might still too much for most of the locals. I was talking to the staff and and they import most of their own spices from India and it shows. The interior is well done with a some traditional furniture. The only con's for me was the place it bit out of the way so you need a taxi to get there and the hard liquor is not cheap. I will return.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kiev, Ukraine
“Best indian food in Kiev”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I love this place!!! Very simple exterior of the building is so in indian style, cause inside interior is really gorgeous (as far as I know they don`t like to show to publicity their wellness).

Menu is fully indian and very exotic.
Dishes are very delicious, portions are big.
Service is also very pleasant as you can always receive a very good advise and help on dishes.

Tastes are perfect, well, due to this place I really loved indian food one of the best.
Really advise it! If yo want to have different experience and try smth new - this place is perfect.
One of the best criterias - I saw many indians visiting this place, so they do feel like home here.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Winchester, UK
“Better Indian food than I dared hope for in Ukraine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Actually Ukraine has (I am told) a long history of co-operation with India in industry etc and this place is something of an institution with local resident Indian nationals and visiting delegations. I have been a few times and the standard has been consistently good with some less common dishes. Indian food is often adapted in other countries to suit local palates but not here and on each occasion I have left very satisfied - better than the average for the UK (and we have some of the best Indian food outside India, partly because our own food is so bland and there is, therefore, no local palate to offend).

• Visited April 2012