“Sudden stay at the Downtown Belgrade Hostel, nice experience” 5 of 5 stars

6th Floor Hostel Belgrade
Karadjordjeva 91 | 6th floor, 26 app., Belgrade 11000, Serbia   |
Ranked #143 of 205 Specialty Lodging in Belgrade
Elmhurst
“Sudden stay at the Downtown Belgrade Hostel, nice experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Our family ended in Belgrade for couple of days and as this was not our original destination, we had to cancel our reservations and to find a place to sleep in Belgrade. The city was full of visitors, as there was a concert of several bands that weekend. So finally, we found accommodation in the Downtown Belgrade Hostel. The place is central and we were met by a nice and hospitable girl who showed us the room, which was clean and spacious. The price was very normal and even low. As we asked for a map and some directions, we were given a lot of tips and were recommended certain places that are good for eating out. In general we had a good experience and our children were the center of attention of the young people that stayed there. I can say that the place is good, but it is mainly for young travelers, students and backpackers. It is a little bit too noisy for a family with kids. Even so, we enjoyed our stay and felt in love with Belgrade.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Couples
Business
Halifax, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

This place is also known as the Downtown Belgrade Hostel. I honestly can say that I had a terrible time -- there was a mistake with my reservation and the owner refused to refund me, yelled at me and was very rude, and slammed the phone down on me.

The night staff guy routinely left to go partying, leaving whoever was still awake to open the door for guests checking in late or for walk-ins. Don't expect to be let in if you arrive after 6.

"No smoking" only extended to guests; staff smoked constantly in the common room and kitchen.

Daytime staff -- let's just say that the anti-American and anti-Albanian vitriol was not very nice, as were the angry outbursts when guests declined the staff's sightseeing ideas due to legitimate reasons like a lack of time.

After hearing positive things about this place, it was a letdown and I did not get my money back.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Rude and mean owner, incompetent and pushy staff, smoke
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

There´s only positive things I can say about this hostel!
The family who runs the hostel passionately is lovely - it´s very comfortable there and they get not tired to recommend secret tips to see in belgrad. You can get back 24 hours, the rooms are very cleany and you have the best view over the downtown city and the train station. I want to recomend this hostel everyone who gets to belgrade whether for short trip or a long time. I loved it and get new friends there too. Thanks

• Liked — The Staff!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2007

I just happened across this place while doing a little backpacking trip. The place was nice (price was right too) and the staff is young and knew the town. I became friendly with a group of young Polish students and we ended up hanging out at Akademija club until almost 3 am every night for a week. The staff was very tolerant and also had good recommendations for the best place to get palacinka (pancakes) and pizza! Overall an excellent experience for the backpacker/traveler!

• Liked — Price and location were great!
  • Disliked — Dunno. it was pretty good!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
Dortmund, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2007

I stayed a few nights in this hostel, which is greatly located in downtown Belgrade, close to the train station. A great rating for a hostel: It provided an atmosphere becoming rare for non-expensive inns. I liked the clean rooms and the very hospitable staff. They seemed to have good knowledge about what's going in town to help me and my fellow guests (who came from all over the world) to orient in busy Belgrade nightlife.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Elevator often occupied
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to 6th Floor Hostel Belgrade? Share your experiences!