“Better than the price lets you believe” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Rex
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37 Sarajevska str., Belgrade 11000 , Serbia   |
Ranked #26 of 64 hotels in Belgrade
Bucharest, Romania
“Better than the price lets you believe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

We made reservation last minute because we could find a suitable 4 star hotel for me and some business partners. I was encouraged by good ratings but a bit worried about the low price - 40 euros single, 50 euros twin.

I can confirm most of the other reviews, very good value for money, clean, simple, friendly staff. Breakfast could be a bit better, but for one or two nights it's ok.

Cannot really comment about location, because we were with car and had a certain agenda but it seemed pretty central, and with a few parking places.

For a budget solution - highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

My room cost less than 40 euros a night, so I really don't complain. It had been renovated a couple of years ago with nice simple style. There were all the things you normally find in a good hotel room, the TV had lots of channels, there was always hot water in the shower, etc. What I didn't like was the smell of cigarettes, which I guess is normal in Serbia.

The breakfast buffet was abundant but not very good. There were very few vegetables and fruits, the eggs and sausages were cold (I'm not sure if the sausages had even been boiled). Lots of people were smoking in the room.

The staff was friendly and helpful.

The hotel is located some 500 meters from the main railway station, but to the "wrong direction". The area is relatively quiet but in the evening I couldn't find any open restaurants nearby. There are some bakeries ans small shops, anyway.

Room Tip: My room on the 4th floor at the back end was quiet but I think those near the street are not so.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Kragujevac, Serbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012 via mobile

I was not to satisfied with buffet bdeakfas but staff is excellent, specially reception, they a honestly pleasant, no fake smiles like on some places

• Stayed March 2012
Bollnäs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

This hotel is very central and in spite of its exterior ( looks like a soviet-style hotel from the 70s) it is very welcoming with nice rooms and splendid breakfast. I truly recommend it to travellers as well as the lovely gourgeous city of Belgrade!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
A
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I went to Belgrade for a short trip. The room was new furnishing and very clean. The staff is very helpful and very friendly. Very good position.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I stayed at this hotel many times during my trips to Belgrade. I've been always very pleasantly surprised to professional service .. maybe with one exception, but generally the staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are newly remodelled and spacious, very clean with very comfortable beds, air conditioning, mini-bar, cable TV etc. Hotel is located near the station and walking distance to most of the city. Parking seems to be too small for the needs of a large number of visitors, sometimes to enter the hotel you have to elbow between parked on the way to the entrance cars. Unfortunately the general impression was spoiled by an unpleasant lady working on the front desk, 10 minutes before check out time she called me and told me that "you finish ", for a moment I felt like in a cheap hotel with rooms rented for hours. I expected during check out only one word from her - "sorry", but only an ironic smile was a response to my complaint. In any case, despite of the unpleasant one case, my overall impression of this hotel is very good and I recommend it to anyone who is going to visit Belgrade.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Scottish Borders
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

This hotel was recommended to me by a work colleague who had visited Belgrade before. this was my first trip to the city.

I travel a lot on business and I'm used to staying in 4* hotels run by the usual chains. I hesitated at booking a hotel that was charging the equivalent of £30 GBP per night (with breakfast) but thought I would trust my colleague and book anyway. I am very glad that I did.

I don't intend this to be a review of Belgrade as a whole, which is an interesting city with a striking history, but I will offer a bit of advice on getting into the city centre from the airport. You will be advised to book a taxi while you are still airside to avoid being ripped off. You can do that if you wish, and spend about 1,500 Dinar (15 euros), or you can catch the airport bus (No.72) which is parked immediately outside the door, departs every 20 minutes, travels to the central railway station and costs a princely 250 Dinar.

Hotel Rex is a 10 minute walk from the railway station. Don't be put off by the grey post-war architecture of New Belgrade, the older city has certainly got that lived-in look but it has much of interest to offer. The nightlife is excellent (I'm told), the restaurants are plentiful, cheap and of qood quality (cuisine tends to be unpretentious but uses plenty of fresh produce).

Hotel Rex looks like a throw-back to the 1980s in decor but the staff are extremely effcient and helpful, and the place is very clean. I booked a 'single room for single occupancy' and was pleasantly surprised to get a very spacious room with a king-size bed, flat screen TV, good Wi-Fi connection (complimentary) and a perfectly adequate shower room. The room was spotlessly clean, the mini-bar well-stocked and very cheap (less than £2 for a beer), the bed comfortable and the water hot. Elsewhere in Europe I have paid five times the price for a grubby room of inferior space and quality at a more pretentious establishment.

The hotel restaurant is open from 0600-2300 and serves a good range of food from an extensive menu. The breakfast is fine and there's a fair choice of foods. The salads are particularly good. While none of the cooking would win any Michelin stars, it is freshly cooked, using fresh ingredients, and was tasty and filling. Service was excellent and I was astonished by the polyglot waiters who seemed able to change from Serbian to English to Italian to German without breaking step. I felt rather ashamed of my poor language skills in comparison.

The only criticism I would make is that smoking is still allowed in the restaurant, but this is the case throughout Serbia so it's unfair to single the hotel out in this regard. Non-smoking bedroms are available (as mine was) and they are fine.

In conclusion: clean, comfortable, spacious accommodation with good facilities at an extremely reasonable price. i would use the hotel again.

Room Tip: Book in advance (I used Octopus Travel online and paid in advance in the UK) and make your request f...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Rex? Share your experiences!