“The worst we have stayed at” 1 of 5 stars

Slavija Hotel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Svetog Save 1, Belgrade 11000, Serbia   |
Ranked #57 of 72 Hotels in Belgrade
Prague
“The worst we have stayed at”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

My grandma stayed there in the fifties and she brought back a post card of this hotel, so we decided to see what it is like now. I dont think much has changed. Maybe the staff is a little older, but otherwise, no change at all.

This was possibly the worst hotel experience of all time. The toilet looked as if nobody had cleaned it and there were 4 half finished rolls of toilet paper just lying around. There were USED soaps in the bathroom, they did not even bother to take them away after the previous visitors. We were afraid to step on the floor and actually sleep in the bed, covered with what appeared to be a blanket. Two out of the three lights did not work. The window could not close, so we had to carry our stuff around. That was the dingiest hotel I have ever seen. The staff was quite OK, it is a good location and you could park the car (not free) in the basement. But that is about it.

I have forgotten a lot of places I have stayed at, but this one wont get out of my head :)

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first

I booked the Slavija for 3 reasons:

1. Reasonable price
2. Great location
3. Internet in the rooms

All three factors were equally important, unforutunately the internet in the rooms, promised on the website, turned out to be a figment of the imagination. Internet is only available sitting in the dingy lobby and so slow it wasn't even possible to open a remote connection. When I pointed this out at reception, the guy shrugged his shoulders as if to say, what can I do? Reception staff were generally unhelpful, apart from one pleasant lady.

Everything is tatty, carpet frayed, tiles cracked, plug sockets hanging off the wall and minimal facilities in the rooms. The TV worked, but just about. The bed looked like something out of a youth hostel. The whole impression was of something out of a Peter Sellers film.

The location was convenient for me, although I didn't actually walk into the old town directly from the hotel. My advice - pay a bit extra and get something nicer. The Slavija Lux, across the road, might be better!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Izola, Slovenia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

We stayed at Slavija B, because it was the cheapest option we got.The location is actually good, on a main street/roundabout to the city centre.We could park at the underground hotel, which was great, because basically we just walked to see the main attractions and took public transport when needed.Rooms were really basic, with old Yugoslavian furniture, the bathroom was worn out, but all in all very clean. The food was actually really good, esp. if you want to have a strong breakfast to have energy all day long. The staff was really cool and we could pay with our ATM card (Maestro) - no problem.Would recommend this hotel for people on the budget, like students, etc. If you need a more confortable accomodation opt for the Slavija Lux across the street.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Zurich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

The hotel is pretty old and needs to be renovated. The mattress was very old, soft and uncomfortable. There was noise from another room and the reception was not too keen to deal with that when we asked. The windows don't close properly, therefore you could hear the noise from the street.

The only good point is that it was clean and well located.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

Unbelievably overpriced, astoundingly outdated furnishings and decor and a very depressing atmosphere. It seemed dark and dank with decor circa 1960. We had no air conditioning and the bed was very soft and uncomfortable. I only spent one night here, and spent that night sleeping on a towel on the floor so that the tiny breeze entering through the window would reach me. Unbearably hot (as it was summer) and I had a terrible night's sleep.

I didn't even think about eating in this place based on what the rest of the hotel was like. I can't believe this place manages to stay open, it's absolutely horrific!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Blighty
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

The lobby is typical Soviet brown gloom, full of smoke and fake brown leather. The lift gave me some of the most terrifying experiences of my life. As Belgrade has relatively few hotels, the best ones had been block booked for the media during Eurovision and for the "delegations" from each country. This is why they only offered the Slavija to independent guests.
The room itself was not too bad - just worn carpet and worn furniture. The bathroom, however, was something else altogether. I have never seen a shower plughole like it. The walls in the corridors had numerous smears in various shades and someone had scratched the words "Bin Laden" into our door. The carpets in the corridors had cigarette butts stubbed out all over them.
But the staff were generally nice and helpful, and the breakfast was strangely good. And Belgrade is an amazing city.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
cork, ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

Should have read the reviews, this place is shocking! Hotel is caught in a timewarp, circa 1950's. Old, worn and dirty furnishings in lobby area. Rooms are like ovens - no airconditioning ( my room made 41 degrees C ) in fairness they did agree to move me when I complained that I was almost cooked!! Reception staff were helpful, I guess that the owners don't give a damn.

On the other side of my stay, Belgrade is a fab city. The people are friendly and welcoming. Great value for dining out and entertainment. The river area is sensational - whether its boat trips, water skiing or sunbathing/swimming. We went to a night club on the river - one of the best I was ever in, anywhere!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the standard
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Slavija Hotel? Share your experiences!