“Satisfied and would return.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square

You added Doubletree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3A, Nerva Traian Street, 3rd District, Bucharest 031041, Romania (Formerly Bucharest City Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #27 of 162 Hotels in Bucharest
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
“Satisfied and would return.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

The service, cleanliness, and comfort is much appreciated. The cigarette smoke is almost unbearable. The hotel is soaked in cigarette smoke. However, almost EVERY Romanian smokes, so plan on anywhere you go (all restaurants, bars, etc) will be filled with smoke. It's terrible. Anyhow, my room was actually clear of smoke. I was thankful for that. I couldn't smell any at all.

The service was exemplary. The taxis are so cheap that it doesn't matter what the location is. Most taxi rides end up costing between 2-5 USD. I took a taxi everywhere. Just make sure the tariff posted on the side of the car says "1,39 lei".

I would definitely choose this hotel when in Bucharest.

• Stayed March 2013
SaleemS, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square and for taking the time to review us out our on Trip Advisor. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests, and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards for our guests to have a memorable and pleasant experience during their stay.

We place great value on your custom, and I look forward to welcoming you once more to DoubleTree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square or any of our Hilton Worldwide Hotels in the near future.

Saleem Sarieddine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pompano Beach Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at the Doubletree Unirii Square in Bucharest for 3 nights in Feb. 2013. The hotel is very comfortable and appears to be very new. I was upgraded to a junior suite (I am a diamond member of Hhonors). The room was large by US standards and Huge by European standards.
The bed was very comfortable. The hotel is about 5-6 blocks from Unirii Square. But there are bus options right outside the hotel. A 7 day metro/bus pass in Bucharest is only 20lei ($6)
Getting to the hotel, i booked a private transfer online before I arrived. I used www.bucharestairporttranfer.com for 15 Euro the driver was waiting for me at the arrivals door with a sign and within minutes of getting off the plane I was in a car on my way to the hotel. The driver was very professional and polite. Also, he did't try to sell me additional services (tours, restaurants or girls) which is a huge plus.
The only thing on the slight down side for the hotel is the heat. I was there in winter, butthe room was warm and the temp controls would not lower the temp. I had to open the windows to cool off the room, which let n a lot of street noise.
I had coffee at Gloria Jeans once, but it was so warm and smokey. I did not eat at the hotel, but there are lots of restaurant options in Unirii Square.
Te front desk staff was helpful with directions and

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SaleemS, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Regarding the heating and cooling ventilation system, we will make a few changes I can assure you that this will not be an issue in the future for our guests. If you have any other suggestions to give us in order to improve our services please don't hesitate to contact me.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I look forward to welcoming you once more to DoubleTree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square or any of our Hilton Worldwide Hotels in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Daniela Lazar
Director of Sales
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We arrived today for our last stop before heading back to the UK. I booked this hotel via Expedia double room £51, but I inserted the wrong month accidentally (Feb instead of Jan) the receptionist was really helpful and told us not to worry and that she will sort it out with Expedia and amend the booking at no extra cost. She was very friendly and gave us delicious complementary large cookies also on arrival. Our room was immaculate, bed large and comfortable, free WIFI, large wall mounted TV with good Channel ranges, free parking, toilet and shower room also sparkling clean and a refreshing powerful shower. Strongly recommended! :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SaleemS, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at our hotel and for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We greatly appreciate your comments and value your feedback about our rooms and service. I am also glad you enjoyed the food at our Avantgarde restuarant.

I look forward to welcoming you once more to the DoubleTree Bucharest Unirii Square in the future.

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Good four star hotel with descent pricing.
It may not be right by the old city, but considering the taxi prices, then value-for-money is easily justifiable.
Although the old city has been expanding with many restaurants and cafes - then this hotel is close to the less know (at least for tourists) Bulevardul Decebal, which has a lot of cafe's and restaurants of good quality.
There is a nice Gloria Jean coffee shop (Starbuck like) right next to the reception. The bar is small but nice - but you have to be ready to accept people smoking.
There is a tramp and a taxi stop in front of the hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from street side if you want eliminate road noise (traffic noice is low here com...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SaleemS, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square and for taking the time to review us out our on Trip Advisor. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests,and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards for our guests to have a memorable and pleasant experience during their stay.

I am pleased to read that you found our location convenient and I hope you enjoyed our Bar and Coffee shop outlets.

We place great value on your custom, and I look forward to welcoming you once more to DoubleTree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square.

Melbourne Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I'm a little torn when writing this review today. I enjoyed my stay at the hotel, but it came with some problems that may bother other travellers. We booked 2 rooms for 9 nights in this hotel.
Location: Doubletree Unirii Square is about a 20 minute walk from Unirii Square. There is not much surrounding the hotel (see photos). Luckily there is a convenience store across the road and a Gloria Jeans in the lobby.
Smoking: The first thing you will notice when you enter the lobby is all the cigarette smoke. I'm not sure if there were any non-smoking areas in the hotel. The smoking in Gloria Jeans in the hotel ground floor was so bad we could not stay in there. I could also smell cigarette smoke in our clean bathroom towels each day. I am not sure if there were any dedicated non-smoking rooms.
There is a lot of smoking in Romania with non-smoking sections of restaurants (if they have one) being quite small. So the smoking issue is not only an issue for non-smokers at this hotel. It would be the same at most hotels in Romania.
Hotel room: The rooms are actually quite beautiful, modern, clean and very comfortable. We booked Junior Suite rooms (rooms 6 and 8 on each floor... see floor map photo) for the extra space. Ceilings were low in some places, but not a problem. I did detect the smell of body odour from previous guests in some places. It was not a big problem.
The mini bar prices were a little higher than I expected. But the convenience store across the road kept me supplied with cheap drinks. I find it funny that beer costs the same as a coke in Bucharest.
Staff: I found some of the staff at the hotel to be particularly miserable. The 2 young wait staff in the breakfast area seemed particularly unhappy and didn't seem to care much that the power had gone off to the buffet letting everything go cold. The older wait staff on other days were much more friendly and seemed happy in their jobs. The front desk staff were also very helpful.
Breakdowns: This requires it's own section as there seemed to be so many of them. On my first day in my room there was intermittently no water in the taps and the electricity kept going out. On 2 days during our stay the electricity kept going off every 2 to 3 minutes for the whole hotel. This was not a big problem... unless you were in one of the 2 lifts. I have never been so scared as the day I arrived in the hotel and the lift dropped twice during my one ride. First the power went out and I was alone in darkness in the lift as it dropped and bounced. Then it return to the top floor and bounced again. Then it dropped to the bottom and stopped smoothly. Eventually I got out in a deep sweat. I told reception and they told me "don't worry... it's safe". On another day when the power was going out the lifts would not come to our floor so reception told us to use the stairs. These lead down in to the kitchen of Gloria Jeans or out the back of a block of flats. It was a long walk to get back to the front of the hotel from there. During all of this I found the worst thing was that the hotel was giving no explanation of what was happening at all.
Food: I want to end this review on a positive point. The food we were served in both the breakfast area, dinner in the restaurant at night and room service was of a very high quality. We enjoyed eating in the hotel. I would really recommend eating in during your stay. The food here is very good.
Summary: I did enjoy our stay at this hotel. It is a bit of a walk or a short taxi ride to get anywhere. The rooms are very nice. There is a lot of smoking in common areas. Staff could be a little happier around guests. There are some maintenance issues around supplying power to the hotel (might have been a one-off issue). The food in the hotel is very good.
If I came to Bucharest again I would consider this hotel again. But there are others that are better positioned.

Room Tip: Check the floor map. The larger rooms are the junior suites. They are numbered 6 and 8 on each flo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Amazing. The only hotel that I've experienced in which they give you a hot baked welcome yummy cookie! *__*

Comfy, clean and quite rooms, better if you ask for the double room with king size bed; the pillow with the message is sweet.

Nice gym, small but full of everything; there is also sauna and massage room.

Tasty room service, "Gnocchi 4 Formaggi" really deserve their name, very good!

Room Tip: ask for a double room, they're quite bigger and comfy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SaleemS, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square, responded to this review, January 16, 2013

Chorzow, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The hotel is located in 15 minute walk distance from the old city, where you can find many fine restaurants. It wa built not long time ago and everything is modern, clean, I can say - brand new. The breakfast has an additional taste because there is a nice view to Bucharest from the restaurant located at 9th floor. The sevice is provided on a very high level, very nice personell. The price is much lower than in other chain hotels and for that price you get really high class service. The beds are very comfortable with the standard Doubletree comfortable pillows. The heating system was working fine and provided exactly the temperature which was set. That was really important as there was -16C outside.

Room Tip: Very nice and comfortable is suite, especially if you travel for business, because you have a lof of...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SaleemS, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Bucharest. I am glad to know that you found our location convenient and that you were able to explore the different venues around the hotel. We are working continously to always improve our services to create a rewarding experience for all our guests. Our rates are indeed competitive for this time of year and I am glad you found added value in our over all services.

I personally thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I have shared your wonderful remarks with our staff. We are all thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

On behalf of my team & myself, please allow me to wish you happy holidays and great new year ahead

Saleem Sarieddine

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Bucharest Unirii Square? Share your experiences!