“Great service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest

You added Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest to your Saves list
Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 - 3 Episcopiei St | District 1, Bucharest 010292, Romania   |
Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #8 of 162 Hotels in Bucharest
Houston, Texas
“Great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed here for business. Beautiful hotel staff. The staff were exceptionally helpful and professional. Rooms are very good. Location is good, near to everything I wanted to see. I will stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. It gave me great pleasure to know you enjoyed your visit and took advantage of our central location, in the heart of Bucharest. I hope that next time you will visit us you will also try our restaurant, Roberto’s, and allow us to surprise you with our exquisite Italian menu and excellent service.

Linda Griffin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

As much as I'd like to rate well this hotel, recently I was stunned and dissapointed by one of the doormans, a sub-Saharan African person (a person from African diaspora, therefore not Romanian), so-called Anderson. The day I arrived at the hotel, he just turned his back on me instead of opening the cars' door or help me with the luggages. Also, later on, talking about this with my partners, they said they've noticed this person's habit to jump right of his shoes when a tip is involved and to make himself invisible and not fulfilling his tasks with other hotel guests... BTW, does the hotel knows about his behaviour? I am sure this is not the only complaint about this person. Let me be well understood, I am the last person to be hatefull, but this guy really pissed me off! Overall though, this hotel has a great location, quiet rooms despite traffic, everyone speaks english.

Room Tip: ask the receptionist for a front or side view, the one in the back is not appealing at all.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
I was disturbed to read of your experience at our hotel, particularly in reference to our doorman whom we regularly receive positive feedback about. As a team we work hard to ensure all of our guests feel valued and respected and I can see obviously we failed on this occasion.

I appreciate your feedback on the remainder of the hotel services and facilities. Please be assured that I will share all of your feedback with the entire hotel team, in order that we may learn from your experience. I hope that next time you are in Bucharest you will give us the opportunity to correct your impression of our hotel.

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The hotel is an historical building located in the very heart of the city.
Rooms are at Hilton standards and presidential suites are huge and really amazing. Love the nespresso at disposal in the suite. Lobby is a piece of art and English bar team is the best in town : friendly and professionals.
Internet is expensive but fast. Breakfast in the room and room service are really expensive for what you get. Better to avoid.

Room Tip: Suite are a must.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. Indeed, the hotel is a well-preserved historical monument, with Les Colonnades from the lobby dating from the original construction in 1914 and I am happy you appreciated its beauty. Also, I will make sure to pass on your kind feedback to our team in the English Bar.

We hope that we will welcome you back soon and that during your next visit we will enchant you with our delicious Italian menu at Roberto’s.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I booked the Athenee for my second trip to Bucharest. The first time, I stayed at the Intercontinental, which was also an excellent stay; it meant that the Hilton had a lot to live up to. I booked directly with the hotel, as I found they were able to offer me a competitive rate. As we flew in, we were met by a driver from the Hilton (we had prebooked airport shuttle via email with the concierge), so naturally I felt at ease not having to worry about travel arrangement mishaps etc. The location of the hotel is excellent (close to the Old town, and also very central to all main areas), however I would say the entrance is not great. You would not think you are about to pull up to a 5* hotel. Things change once you step inside; you are greeted with extravagant decor and cleanliness, along with friendly staff. The front desk were very helpful and accommodating, as in the 11th hour we decided we wanted to spend 2 nights in Mamaia, and the reception made our booking at the Athenee flexible. This was very reassuring, but we ended up staying all 4 nights in the Athenee anyway.

The concierge team (Cristian and Alex i think) were very efficient and had contacted various hotels if we still wished to go to Mamaia (the beach resort); they also organised the Go-karting for us which was good as it was advertised in only Romanian. (the Go karting track is amazing- about 40 mins drive out of Bucharest, and track length of 1385m)

The rooms were of a nice size, well equipped with good A/C. The shower could have had more power though. Room service were always bang on target with their times, sometimes they would manage to turn things over in a short-ish window such as breakfast time. Every occasion I phoned the front desk or concierge, my call would be answered with no more than 4 rings- This is one thing I hate- when the phone keeps ringing with no answer.

The gym is excellent, better than most gyms in the UK in terms of some of the equipment there. The team in the Health centre were amazing to provide me with a copy of some of the music that was playing in the gym as I enjoyed it so much. This extra touch showing their courtesy really made my experience at the Athenee personal, which sometimes I think is missed at the bigger chains of hotels.

The hotel breakfast was good, although when I asked for 5 eggs with 2 yolks removed, I was given a universal mixture of eggs (which meant that I probably got 5 yolks with 5 eggs) I wasn't happy about this, as I am very particular about certain things. Anyhow, not a big issue really, as the omlette was tasty. The hotel restaurant was pretty good.

One aspect of the hotel which was rather irritating, was having to pay quite a significant fee to use the wireless internet. Now I think this should be made free in bedrooms, or for a more reasonable fee. All in all, an excellent hotel, and I will definitely be returning in the future.

Room Tip: If you want to use the gym, be asked to be situated near the lift which is used for its access (you...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful and detailed review of your stay with us. It gives me great joy to know that we succeeded delivering the best of hospitality to our guests. I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to my colleagues, especially to our concierge and front office team. As for our wi-fi services, please note that we offer free Wi-Fi in our outlets (Roberto’s, English Bar and Café Athenee) and that Hilton Honor Gold and Diamond members have free acess to Wi-fi in their rooms as well.
Thank you once again for your kind review and I hope we will welcome you back soon.

Lynton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed overnight before joining a river cruise.

The staff were friendly and very helpful.

Our room was large, clean, airy and had a large flat screen TV and an immaculate bathroom, plus there was a bottle of complimentary water which was an added bonus.

Breakfast was excellent, the choices were first class, it really set us up for the day.

I would highly recommend this establishment and would gladly stay here again if I were to revisit Bucarest.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I was very happy to read you enjoyed your visit, despite of it being so short. I hope you will come back soon so you can discover more of the wonders of Bucharest and all the other services and outlets our hotel has to offer.

Budapest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This Hilton lived up to all of the expectations one should have about staying at a hotel which promotes itself as business traveler friendly. The desk staff were friendly and efficient (even at 0100 when I arrived after a delayed flight). The room was clean, roomy and had all of the amenities one could hope for. The bed was comfortable, and the desk and small lounge area my room offered was a great bonus.The breakfast choices were solid and were certainly enough to satisfy even the finickiest eater. Extra bonus points go to the Hilton for offering Illy coffee. The hotel's English Pub is a must visit local for a nightcap or a fantastic hamburger. The bar and wait staff are among the best I've encountered in many years of business travel.

Room Tip: If you are looking for an extra quiet room, ask for someplace on the 4th floor facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review. I was very happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated all of the amenities our rooms have to offer and the small, but important details that we focus on in order to enhance your stay, such as high quality coffee. I will make sure to pass on your kind feedback to my colleagues at the English Bar and we hope that next time you will also try our delightful Italian restaurant, Roberto’s.

Constanta, Romania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Hello, i have staid there 2 days, the entrance its ok , but at reception 3 girls not working just gossip time for them, i went up , the floor it has a bad carpet old and smelling . In the room was ok but they mix old style furniture with modern sofa and dont match at all, the tube bath are old and small they should change it as all 5 stars hotels do. I went out and we ask about some nice places to go have a drink and relax , and all we got was a map. in the night i worder some fruits to room service, and i cant explain how discusting was the room service boy, dress with no uniform and with the shirt open almost till the belly , that was really not nice, and the only bar from the hotel its smells as closed air and cigaret, WHY THIS HOTEL STILL STAYS 5 STARS?

Room Tip: just choose any hotel from bucharest not this one
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for finding the time to review your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience and please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience. I would like to assure you that this does not reflect our level of service and your feedback was taken most seriously. I would be interested in learning more regarding your stay, if you would be so kind as to contact me directly.

Linda Griffin

Been to Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest? Share your experiences!