“Lovely hotel, wonderful staff, a few minor details missing” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Direct booking discount
Ranked #1 of 162 Hotels in Bucharest
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, wonderful staff, a few minor details missing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

This was a wonderful hotel, and the staff in particular were absolutely lovely - so helpful and very friendly. In fact, I've never met better hotel staff anywhere! They helped us book tickets to different events and for the train. The breakfast was super, especially as they will bring it up to your room for you, which is a lovely touch (although go down at least once early on to discover their impressive selection so that you know what to order, a menu isn't really available).
The room itself was great - very clean, spacious, well designed and comfortable, with excellent amenities. The bed was comfy and I loved that you could raise it up behind your head (it was one of those electric beds), the decor throughout the hotel was great fun. The hotel is also in a great location, an easy 10 minute walk to the Metro station.
Because I want to leave useful feedback, I'll mention the slight drawbacks (which to be honest were very minor). Our shower head needed to be fixed as it kept falling down, yet simultaneously flooding the bathroom. We reported this, but although they tried to fix it, I don't think it could be fully fixed without some more serious work, but I'm sure this will be fixed before the next guest. There was also quite a lack of cupboard space and the ironing board and iron weren't great. However, these really were very minor flaws, and I would very happily return to this hotel in an instant! Thank you for such a wonderful stay!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, October 22, 2014
Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor and feedback, I really appreciate it and take in account. Unfortunately we could improve the shower head only slightly on the spot, but I hope your experience with it was still enjoyable. Of course we changed it in the next few days, so now it is completely new. Since then, we have new iron and ironing board, so everything will be fine when you next visit. Regarding the cupboard space, you are probably right: if you travel with allot of luggage, you may find that the space is a little bit limited, but maybe having a minimalist and modern design sometimes has small drawbacks. I am looking forward to your next stay for sure!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Let's start with the positive: Clean,on a quiet street,almost gourmet breakfast very polite staff.
BUT: Overdesign cannot divert my attention from the fact that a) it features a very small shower cabin- too small to wash one's shelf properly.
B)There is not an armchair in the room to be able to sit comfortably and use your tablet
C) the pamphlet describing hotel services is a poorly made little booklet in black and white from photocopied pages.Lousy quality of photocopies.
D) on a day with 12 degrees temperature outside there was no heating.
I paid 75 euros for room,wi-fi and breakfast.I know at least one Bucharest five star Hotel selling apartments at 88 euros.Thus Christina is not value for money.That was my first and last visit there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
First of all, thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, your feedback is very important for us! I am glad to know you took some positive aspects from your stay with us, even though I am sure that there must have been more pluses that made you enjoy yourself. Regarding the negative aspects:
A) the showers have a standard size, there are not smaller then the average sized showers.
B) the beds are electrically adjustable and you can set them in almost position you can think of, including up-right so you can browse your tablet very comfortably. Furthermore, if you really want an armchair we have a few rooms with this option (not all of them), so please don't hesitate to ask for a room with armchair when you make the reservation
C) of course improvement is always possible in all the areas, this is why we will have a different way of sharing this information with our guests in the near future: displayed on the TV in the room, or by scanning QR codes. We always take in account the feedback from our guests very seriously.
D) even though outside could be 12 degrees, inside the hotel can be a very pleasant temperature if allot of days before this were 20+ degrees as I am sure they were in May... starting the heating in the whole hotel in the middle of May is very unfriendly to the environment and our Eco-conscious guests (the majority of them) would have a strong word against this practice. Even so, you always have the option to set your A/C in the room on heating mode and it works very well to raise the temperature in the room at any time.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

This place was a great find. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean, and it's a great location. The only reason I even give it 4 stars instead of 5 is because I prefer hotels with more old world character. The rooms here are ultra modern, fluorescent lighting and all. That being said, they even have the ergonomic style beds so you can sit upright or change the level of bed which is pretty nice.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review! Sure, we tried to give a hotel a modern look (it is also very new in term of years since opening), a minimalist, yet very functional style, with environment friendly LED lighting everywhere and other gadgets as you mentioned, but we inform our guests about this characteristics on every website we promote ourselves through pictures and information because I realize that this is not on everyone's liking, but because of this it shouldn't be a surprise. Even so, I hope that you will pick Christina for your next visits in Bucharest as it was our pleasure to have you as our guest for sure!
midlands uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Had a really nice long weekend stay here. The staff from the front desk onwards were really helpful & friendly & spoke excellent English. A quick & very efficient check in & after a few steps a lift was there to take us to our room, although help with bags wasn't offered I'm sure if it was needed it would have been.
The rooms are colourful & trendy with cool lighting, electrically adjustable beds, air con & flat screen TV's. Bathrooms whilst not large have nice toiletries & illuminated showerheads - more of a gimmick - but with good water pressure & always with hot water.
The breakfast room was clean with a clean table always available during our visit, breakfast was good with the largest range of accompaniments for your breakfast cereal I have ever seen. The coffee I had on our first morning wasn't to my taste so on the second morning I asked for a latte & had one of the finest I have ever had & at no additional charge. Excellent I thought. There was also fresh orange juice straight out of the juicer, plus the usual assortments of pastries, a good choice of fruits & a small hot food choice. They also offered each day to make fresh eggs or omelets.
My only negative is the location, it is on a quiet residential street with not much around it. We did walk to the old town - a must visit btw, which was a 25 -30 minute pleasant walk but after that we took a taxi as it was under £2 for the journey & reception were happy to call one which usually came within 4 minutes.
The only reason I wouldn't give it 5 marks is because of location & because in common with lots of Eastern European hotels they want to charge E10 per person to use the gym/"spa" area. (we didn't & I doubt anyone would.) Why they would do this seems strange as everything else is great with this hotel.
I'd recommend this hotel strongly along with the advice to use the very cheap taxis to get around. Even the taxi to the airport mid day on a Monday was only £5.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor, your feedback is very important for us! I am happy you enjoyed your experience at Christina, this is our goal in the end. Please keep in mind that you can order almost anything at breakfast with no extra charge: 26 different types of tea, short or long espressos, cappuccinos, cafe lattes, you name it! Also, as you mentioned, if you want eggs cooked in different style, it is also no problem and no extra charge: omelets with anything you can think of, fried or boiled eggs, Benedict eggs, etc. Regarding the location, it has some advantages, as it is very close to the city center (it is 3 minutes walking to the Piata Romana, 5 minutes to the Piata Victoriei and the Government building and quite a few museums: natural history, geology, Romanian peasant, literature and more) but on a quite but safe side street, so there is no noise during the evenings and nights. It depends on what you are looking for. We look very carefully at our guests' reviews, so now the spa/gym is completely free of charge. Please just ask for the access card at the reception and you will get all the information you need!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We planned a trip for holidays and had a recervation in Christina hotel, but one friend from the company couldnt travel , and we had to cancel the the trip, and the management of the hotel didn`t charge us at all, which was very kind.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, September 24, 2014
Thank you very much for your review, I really appreciate it! I know how tough it can be sometimes to organize a trip and how many variables there are that can influence it, so when it is possible, of course we won't charge our guests. Even though the policy would allow us, it is not in our nature to do so. I hope that in the future, we will get the chance to meet and have a good time!
Kathmandu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

It is a wonderful hotel with a very good location. It’s just a 10 min from metro station. The staff was very polite and very frankly and owner was very talkative and helpful. They have a free wifi and they serve free tea/coffee in the room which makes your trips more memorable. The room was very clean. It was nothing to complain about it. I stayed just one night but I will definitely come back. The restaurant is bit small but excellent with good service. Breakfast was great and dinner wonderful. I highly recommend Hotel Christina.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, September 22, 2014
Even though we have some modern touches and always try to keep up with the latest trends, we do try to add a warm and human feel to everything as you noticed. I am glad your stay was the way you wanted it to be! Thank you very much for your recommendations and review! It was a pleasure to meet you and I am looking forward to your next visit of course!
Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Recently I stayed one more time there and owner of Christina still manage to maintain very high quality standards. And he is doing it for many years. Christina hotel is small privately run one. It is unusual with very warm human touch, super clean and with very descent restaurant. Breakfast is fantastic and one of the best I ever tried. Internet is true broadband. And all people that are working there are truly friendly and helpful. It was great week. Next time I will definitely stay there too. Hotel Christina is as close as possible to my image of ideal functional but with clear touch of personality hotel. Thanks to owner and all people working there.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
I would also like to thank you! It was a pleasure to meet you and have you as my guest at Christina! Thank you very much for your wonderful review and pictures, for sharing them with the TripAdvisor community, it is very important to me!

Been to Hotel Christina? Share your experiences!