“Reputation fully deserved” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 159 hotels in Bucharest
London, United Kingdom
“Reputation fully deserved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

We are a group of 4 friends for whom Bucharest was the last stay on a 5 city trip by train from London.

We arrived mid morning exhausted having done the "sleeper" from Budapest on which the Romanian tracks ensured we got no sleep. Marvellous scenery however, and fascinating to watch the Romanian countryside go past at foggy daybreak. Hotel arranged a much welcome people carrier from Gare de Nord. Blazing hot day and too early to check in, we sat on their oasis of a terrace at the rear and took the complimentary cheese and wine, which was lovely.

The staff are all immaculately polite and helpful and cannot do enough for you. Dan the owner inroduced himself, and we chatted for a couple of hours, and I was fascinated in his descriptions of life before and afer the revolution. I could have talked all night. He is a marvellous, funny, gregarious fellow.

The rooms are spotless and comfortable, and there are no carpets in the building. This does make noise travel a little, as others have said, but I'm a super light sleeper and always notice anything like this. Excellent breakfast, with juice out of fresh oranges, not a carton. The only slight disappointment was that we were told we could dine on the terrace, so looked forward to this all day in the hot and dusty city centre, but on our return in the evening, there was a meeting till 10pm in the conference room, which gives access to the terrace. Consequently we ate in the basement dining room and were the only ones, which made it a bit solitary.

I would like to give a special thanks to Dan who went to extraordinary lengths to provide a collapsible wheelchair, as one of our group has very limited mobility. It allowed us to do a lot more than we could have done otherwise. An example of the passion he has for his business. We were extemely grateful.

The hotel also managed to get us on a tour of the Parliament Building by persisting when told it was full. They also arranged a round city car trip with a delightful guy called Jan, who had a brand new Dacia and gave a very friendly and informative commentary. His driving was a lot more reassuring than the normal taxis (very "Latin"!) so we got him to take us in and out of town that evening, and to the airport next morning.

The location is just a little out of the very centre, but compensation is a quiet side road, which is a relief after the chaos! We loved the city, and loved this hotel. I cannot imagine there is anything else remotely as good in Bucharest.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
I am very happy that you had a good time in Romania and you liked and appreciated Bucharest, a very lovely city especially if you know where to look. I’m sure you went back home with fond memories from your trip, traveling by train being an excellent way to get to see the country, even though, as you experienced yourself, the railway infrastructure in Romania can sometimes be irritating. Glad we could help you out and that your stay at Christina was a good way to end your trip in Europe. Thank you very much for your review; it was a pleasure to have you as my guests!

519 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Turkish first
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

I booked this hotel after checking reviewers opinions and I'm glad I did.The hotel is new and unknown to many, including locals.It is located on a side street away from traffic and noise.At first I was concerned about the safety of the area since some of the surrounding houses didn't look too well kept, but after walking around for a while I realized that the area is actually pretty safe and central.The hotel is beautiful, from the helpful staff to the modern rooms and the excellent morning buffet,included in the price.The restaurant is worth trying as well,and the complimentary cheese platter and wine on arrival were a nice touch.If you're looking for a boutique style hotel, away from the crowded areas of town,but still centrally located, this is the one.I'll also add a very reasonable price and free internet and you have a gem!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
You are right, this is the first impression of some of our guest, but if you get to know the area a little better you notice that the hotel is situated very close to three different subway (metro) stops located on two different lines, you have the fanciest lounges in the city at a stone throw away, five minutes walking to Piata Romana, one of the most busiest and central squares in Bucharest and all this with the hotel located on a smaller quiet street that is still very good illuminated and has fresh asphalt over it. We don’t believe in charging extra for services like internet, breakfast with fresh squeezed orange juice, parking, nor for the first bottle of water and coffee machine in the room, using the computer in the lobby, printing, scanning, faxing, so always feel free to use them/ask at the reception. Thank you very much for your recommendations and review!
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

The accommodation, staff and food are all fabulous. From the complimentary cheese platter on arrival that highlighted local produce to assistance with even getting my clothing mended, I felt very welcomed and that they would do anything to accommodate my needs. The breakfast was delicious (included in the room rate) and they were able to store my luggage when I went away for a couple of days touring. I also took advantage of using the guide they recommended to me. As a solo traveller, I felt safe with him and found his commentary very informative. He was even prepared to answer some pointed questions about life in Romania. Initially I was only going on a tour of Bucharest, but then I indulged in having him take me on a tour of Sinaia, Brasov, Bran, Rasov, Sighosaura and Sibiu. I'd planned to travel by train, I'm so glad I changed my mind. You can contact Aurelian (my driver) via the hotel reception. I'm going back!

Stayed April 2012
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Thank you very much for your TripAdvisor review and recommendations! I’m glad you enjoyed the tour with Aurelian; as I am sure you found out, those are really nice cities, the best ones Transylvania has to offer. The trains in Romania are slow and they don’t reach certain places like Bran, robbing you of your mobility so I’m sure you made the right decision. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to make your stay in Bucharest and Romania a pleasant one!
Eisenstadt, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I'm coming now more than two years to the Hotel Christina and it is just PERFECT !!
The rooms are great, the stuff extremly friendly and helpful, the foot in the restaurant is delicious and at reasonable prices.
I've tried so many other hotels in Bucharest, but Hotel Christina is by far the best and I will continue to stay there.
I simply feel HOME.

A small comment: It would be nice if the could provide smoking rooms as well

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
I am happy to know we could be at your service and that you found what you were looking for in Bucharest! Thank you for your nice thoughts, it is a pleasure to have you as our guest for all this time, thank you very much for your reviews during the years, they are very much appreciated!
northlew
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

wot can i say. hotel christina was excellent the staff very friendly and well dressed nothing to much trouble even sent out for a packet of cigs for me. rooms very clean and fresh. the food was excellent. we were made very welcome on arrival. have stayed at many hotels world wide a credit to owner and staff. will be back again!

Room Tip: all nice rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you very much for your review and for the time you took to upload those photos! It was a pleasure that we could help you out and we're looking forward to have you as our guest again!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I love this place! We only stayed for one night but if I ever returned I would stay again. The service is fantastic with extremely helpful and friendly staff! The rooms are fantastic, very swish, modern and elegant yet it still managed to be funky and trendy! Loved the color themes. The breakfast is amazing with so much variety. Fresh coffee and juice. Eggs are cooked to order. There is also free wifi available and a complimentary wine and cheese platter. Rooms are very clean and beds extremely comfortable. Check out is also quite late. There's nothing negative I could say about this place, it was simply amazing!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Next time you visit Bucharest, we will be more than happy to have you as our guest again! As you probably noticed yourself, one of the great things in advantage of the smaller hotels in general and Christina in particular, is that a more personalized and friendly approach is possible with our guests. This is available in many domains, starting from the way we organize tours, trips and airport transfers, the way you are greeted, the way the breakfast is organized and other smaller or bigger things. I am glad to know you enjoyed your stay in Bucharest, thank you very much for your review!
Toledo, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Great service, nice eclectic rooms, very friendly staff, lovely welcome with wine and Romanian platter! Everything about the Hotel Christina was excellent! The breakfast is truly outstanding! The owner made us feel so welcome! Will be back when in Bucharest again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
I am happy to know you really felt good at Christina and in the city because your satisfaction is a reward for us. Thank you very much for your feedback and looking forward to seeing you again when you're traveling next time in Bucharest!

Been to Hotel Christina? Share your experiences!