“A Wonderful Visit to Sibiu, Romania...” 5 of 5 stars

Romania
Directions
Romania
Atlanta, Georgia
“A Wonderful Visit to Sibiu, Romania...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

The city of Sibiu (pronounced 'sib ew') became the ultimate favorite destination for me when I visited Romania this last Summer. This medieval town set in the heart of Transylvania, comes complete with museums, cafe restaurants, a wonderful town square and a history that dates back to 1191.

While Dracula has a somewhat cheesy presence in the town, there is so much more to take in when walking throughout the square. Surrounding the town are various remnants of the fortified walls that once protected those within. Rooftops in the large square showcase the “eyes of the city” with unique windows resembling little eyeballs that watch your every move. It is a feature well worth photographing!

Just 4 kilometers outside of the village square is a museum worth visiting. The ASTRA Museum of Folkloric Traditional Civilization is a bird's eye view of homes from various regions in Romania in it's original state; complete with thatched roofs, an old farm setting and village well, this outdoor museum is worth the trip to walk outdoors and take in the flavor of the old homes.

A small part of my heart will always remain in this sleepy little Transylvania village. I look forward to the day when I can return and would highly recommend this stop for anyone. An airport with direct connections to both Germany and Austria (as well as main metro Romanian cities) this village is easily accessible to all who want to explore.

As we speak, the town center has a wonderful Christmas market that can be viewed on their webcams. I invite you to check it out for a holiday treat.
http://www.sibiu.ro/LiveOK/ Click on any of the cameras to see the holiday bustle. Additionally, I'd invite you to look at the tourism website that is available in English by clicking on the British Flag in the upper right-hand side of the page. http://www.turism.sibiu.ro/index_en.php This is one place I would love Rick Steve's to discover and present to his audience as it is well worth the trip!!

Duluth
“ROMANIA a tourists secret getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

I just completed my third trip to Romania. To me it is like a secret from the US tourist because they don't promote themselves heavily. Tourism is rather new for them, which is the charm for me. This trip I traveled through Moldavia and Mara Mures. I must have driven (I had a driver-which I highly recommend!) through at least 50 villages, where caravans have the right of way. I was there the first part of August and the roadsides were dotted with fruit and vegetable stands. The tomatoes, melons, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries were the sweetest I have ever tasted. An omelet breakfast can be had for $1.00, and coffee is $.67. Unless you live on a farm, you have never tasted an egg or a chicken with such flavor! Everywhere in the north, were stands selling tuica of varying strengths. You are allowed to taste it before buying, which could make for a fun day. My favorite place to stay was the village of Oncesti. For 2 nights, 2 dinners, and 2 breakfasts, I spent $50.
We were given many tips on where to go that the average tourist doesn't read about. For example, there is a magnetic spot in the road where your car rolls up hill; there is a washing machine built in to a stream; tuica and polinca stills near a river; a man making wooden barrels and miniatures carved in to bottles; and my favorite-a church service with everyone dressed in Romanian costume.
The people are SO kind, the food is so good, and the mountains so beautiful-plus the prices, because of the favorable exchange rate, are out of this world.
I also went to Oradea and the Baile Felix mineral baths and spas.

New York
“A most rewarding tour of Romania with Andrei Nicolau”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from Romania. We toured for 11 days with our private guide Andrei Nicolau Miclea. He was recommended by the International Travel News magazine and a few travelers to Romania -- both on this web site and on similar ones. We then saw him interviewing on the television last fall on the Travel Channel.

We would like to commend Andrei for his superior knowledge of English, patience, charm and above all, the ability of customizing the tour according to our special interests. The fact he knows Romania so well was such an advantage. Meeting locals in their homes and learning about their lives, attending a folklore show organized for us only as well as touring some of the off the beaten track sites -- were all rewarding experiences. We particularly liked the friendliness of the Maramures family we stayed with for two days.

We never thought Romania to be such a beautiful and fascinating land with a diversity of culture and customs. And it is now changing fast -- in fact we found the country much more developed than we ever thought. We would like to return to the area -- probably visiting Bulgaria and Albania in 09.

Anyone interested in knowing more about our Romania trip is welcome to E-mail us.

Martin & Jen Richards
New York, NY

Been to Romania? Share your experiences!