“Good to see, but I'd rather see where my 50 Euro's went...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 41 things to do in Chisinau
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Naples, Italy
7 attraction reviews
“Good to see, but I'd rather see where my 50 Euro's went...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Great winery tour, but WAY over-priced!

I was part of a work group and we did this tour on our off-time at our own expense. Considering that we provided our own transportation to/from and during the tour (the guides got into our vans - forcing some of us to stand, on a tour we paid for??).

Then we had wine tastings and a dinner, which consisted of a vegetable plate (no dip, sauce, oil or vinegar - despite having asked twice, once by our Moldovan speaking host!) and a small cup of broth (I guess it was supposed to be soup?) that had a rock hard bread cap baked on (not edible...but fun to play with, see picture) and contained 3 or 4 mushrooms and I kid you not, a single cube of chicken. AND no dessert... incredible when compared to the dinners we had had previously in our time in Chisinau, where we had 3, 4 and 5 course dinners with beer and wine for about 20 Euro's.

For 50 Euro's (in MOLDOVA) I expected a helluva lot more - especially when we found out the most expensive wine we tasted was about 7 Euro's in their shop!!

The wines were good, especially if you like white wines and/or sweet wines. The tour itself? was neat to see & experience, if only so that I can say I've been to the world's largest winery. If there were anything else to do in Moldova, I'd give it a miss, at least you won't find yourself singing:

Ohh where, ohh where, did my 50 euro go? Ohh where ohh where can it be??

Visited March 2012

Bucharest
13 attraction reviews
“best winery in Moldova”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

The winery is pretty big, and you need a car for the tour in the underground streets. The guide was very friendly and helpful, although her english wasn't quite good.
They offer several tasting and eating packages, but most are available for a minimum 5 persons group. The meals, the wine and the service were awesome, although the prices are pretty high.
You can buy great wines at the winery shop, for prices far smaller than the city supermarkets.

Visited April 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 attraction reviews
“Must see when in Chisinau”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

As a wine consumer and modest collector, this was quite a treat. 2 million bottles, quite a few oak barrels and miles and miles of wine....
I took a private tour arranged by the hotel which turned out to be very affordable.
Apparently, the cheapest ticket to get in is 250 Lei, the rest of the money went to pay my guide who also brought his car.
The wine tasting hall was impressive and the wine I got to try was pretty decent.
I was told that the more you pay, the better your lunch will be... not the wine.
I haven't visited the Cricova winery, but this was an interesting and enjoyable trip that occupied half my day.

“Nice, but not great as Cricova”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

It has strong points, but too may weak ones. The tour guide was very unfriendly, the wine served for tasting it was not botteled one, etc. Etc.

Chisinau, Moldova
11 attraction reviews
“worth to see not overpay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

is great to see all that great deal of wine streets underground that you can drive with a car, not sure is good for wine to have so much pollution in closed environment, guide was terrible her english was bad and i had to explain sometimes myself, she newer knew the answer for questions we asked, rushed us too, wine tasting was worst part, they serve ok wine not worth even buy, give you allot of average quality wine, better give one bottle of good wine that 3 of what they give, i know they have good wine as i had few times... well i would say is good place to visit just to see the biggest wine caves in the world //

Visited November 2011