“Avoid in Cold Weather” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 38 Hotels in Chisinau
Chisinau, Moldova
“Avoid in Cold Weather”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have tried to stay a night in the hotel in January, 2012. It was -10 outside and when we entered the room, there was only one A/C unit trying to heat the air. It felt like +10 in the room and we decided to cancel our booking. Also, laundry is not new and looks grey. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
downsouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I travelled to Chisinau to watch England play Moldova.
The rooms were comfortable, the staff were friendly and very helpful. I would like to say thank you very much for making my stay in your country excellent..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Solothurn, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Dear friends of hotel "Bella Donna", Chisinau

It was my first trip to Moldowa. So i couldn't know, what to expect. I was very glad, that i had made the choice with hotel "Bella Donna"!!!
I guess you will find nowhere else such friendly and supporting staff like here. I felt very comfortable from first day in this hotel.
As i can recommend the "Bella Donna" to all visitors, when i will be in Chisinau next time, for me the only choice will be again "Bella Donna".
I send all my warmest greetings.

Room Tip: A very good hotel nearest center of city of Chisinau. Clean and cozy rooms. Very delicious and tasty...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

well ...let me say..it was a good choice to go to this hotel.. being in the center , close to the bigest mall in Chisinau, comfortable hotel and very charming staff...

i felt like i was home ,,in a family.. they where trying to help me in any question i had ...even if i had to buy cigarrets...
the room where very clean and , they had satellite for my country ,,so they helped my to find my language channels...also the breakfast was very different from usually breakfasts i tried in other countries...well probably i can;t describe the moldovian cuisine,,but i enjoyed it...

My next choice will be Belladonna!

Room Tip: Room nr.7 is very nice.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Hello! I was recently in Chisinau on my business issues. When I came, I had a distrust of the hotels in Chisinau, because my friends have had a bad experience in one of the citie"s hotel. I choose the Belladonna hotel finally and did a very right decision. I spent in Chisinau 3 days and it was a pleasure,to live in this hotel/ Good staff,i felt there like at home,the atmosphere was awesome good! I was very surprised! SSo next time when I will be in Chisinau I i already know my destination of residence. Hotel Belladonna greeting towards you

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
tipperary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

Christina was very good! thankyou! I enjoyed my stay here and so did my Daughter. We got on very well with the Staff and I thought they tried very hard to make us feel comfortable. I wish I had had more time to spend there. I loved the Moldovan Breakfast. The moldovans are very kind and warm. I will definately go back

Room Tip: Hotel is on bus 20 route
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Westborough, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

My husband and I recently traveled to Moldova for a few days. Having lived in Moldova 10 years ago I was very surprised by the high prices for lodging in Chisinau! I ended up choosing Bella Donna because it was on the lower end yet looked nice. I am kicking myself for that decision!
First of all, it's two (longer) blocks up from the main drag, Stefan Cel Mare and down past the central piata--meaning it's a pretty good walk to get down to the 'nicer' part of the city. The hotel itself is tiny and while I don't know for sure, it seemed pretty "Russian" to us. I had made a reservation before we left and they seemed very nice at the time, writing to me in very good English and assuring us we could check in early.

There were three girls at the front desk when we arrived and one of them checked us in, speaking all Romanian which was fine but I found out after that they all did speak English. As they knew who I was when I checked in I would have thought they'd speak English--not a huge deal but it does make me wonder if they were deliberately trying to make me confused, as my Romanian isn't that great. Anyways, we checked in and paid in cash for the 2 days. I paid them and in our jet-lagged exhaustion we did not get a receipt--big mistake. We went up to our room, which is nothing awful but definitely outdated, not pretty and the bathroom smelled. All we wanted was a shower since we had been traveling for days without one. They were out of water. We were told it would be on in one hour so we went out to explore Chisinau. We came back around 3:30 and there was still no water, we were told it was coming on at 4pm. 4:00 came and went and we went out to dinner. Came back at 9pm and still no water. We woke up the next morning and there was water! Only it would start and stop and was mostly just a trickle. We stayed one more day and never had a steady stream of water the entire time.

But the worst part came when we were checking out, they stopped us and said we didn't pay. I told them (this was in English now) yes I did and that there were three girls at the front desk who saw me. They said they didn't see anything. Well it's a tiny lobby and I'm sorry but Americans don't show up every day, they all knew my name when I arrived...I guarantee they noticed me plopping down $1,750 lei. The girl specifically asked me at the time if I wanted to pay now or later (remember, all in Romanian). I said I'd like to pay now and she asked me if I had Moldovan Lei and I said yes. Well they said we didn't have a receipt so we didn't pay and the girl who checked us in wrote down that we didn't pay. I demanded to talk to her and they said they couldn't get a hold of her. Which is also suspicious because previously when I asked her what time they locked the front door, she told us that she lived there and was there all the time to open it. Anyway, we weren't budging and eventually they let us go, after calling more people to come in and talk to us. But I got at least 4 phone calls from them the next couple days repeating that we didn't pay.

I really believe that other westerners who aren't familiar with Moldova and the people could easily be convinced that they would need to pay twice to avoid trouble. I advise ALL travelers to beware of this hotel!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bella Donna? Share your experiences!