“Surely one of the top restaurants in Zagreb” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Rome, Lazio, Italy
“Surely one of the top restaurants in Zagreb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

So far, I've visited Ribice i tri tockice (Fish and three dots) for three times and I would always recommend it to people who would like to dine in the center of Zagreb. You can get such a great value for money. I always order fish and mangel with potato as a side dish. I also ask for the sauce (olive oil, garlic and parsley) and I put it on the side dish. As a drink, I take their excellent house red wine (I think it is Merlot) and some water.

Ribice offers a taste of Croatian coast, a taste of summer in Croatia. The restaurant is usually full of people, but we always got a seat without reservation. It is easy to relax and enjoy there. The service is so nice, and it is good to ask for a recommendation from waiters. Waiters are dressed in Dalmatian traditional clothing, and it gives even more charm to the place. Music is also mainly from Dalmatia, and on the walls, there are paintings and drawings of fish, boats, sea... Imagine, it is even possible to ask waiters to clean a fish for you out of bones. I know how to do it, but it was so sweet when I've heard this question, and I can guess that many people need a help with that. I believe it is a perfect place to learn how to clean fish

I will mention just one bad thing, and that is the only one, but still to mention. The toilet was always quite in a bad condition. It was full of paper all over the place, some important things were relatively clean, but it was smelly and with papers all around. Maybe, that is my guess, the waiters are too busy and in too small number to be all over the place all the time, but surely the toilet needs more attention.

I would say that people should go there if they have time to enjoy their meal. I go to Ribice when I want to enjoy in food, with close friends and I am always ready to leave one and a half hour of my time, sometimes even more.

For the end, one warning. The menu is huge, but very often you cannot order whatever is on the menu, but it is not a problem because they always have a lot to offer and finally, everything is fresh and delicious what is the most important.

• Visited December 2013

Zagreb, Croatia
“Not too good fast food a la Croatian”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Based on many positive comments from our friends we decided to try Ribice...
Nicely decorarated restaurant with a good concept of fairly priced meals.
The restaurant was full and after some 10 minutes of waiting we found a seat. The lenght of menue was impressive, prices attractive, Out of 30 or more seafood menu items only 5 or 6 were available. Staff was badly challenged and was hardly coping with the workload. Soops were very good. Medium rare tuna was OK, rare tuna was cold in the center. Fried fish was OK, can be much better. Finally, we were all sick afterwards.
Personally, I am surprised by such a good rating. Would agree only that it is great value for money - if you do not get sick.
The restaurant is kind of Croatian fast food whereas there are much better (and cheaper) places in own.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We ate here 3 times while in Zagreb for a week. The fish was very fresh and prepared in an excellent manner. We had some great sauces. Some of the specials were recommended by the wait staff and they were spot on. A very good value.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dubrovnik, Croatia
“Must visit if you like fish or if don't like fish :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The waiter recommended us a few plates and we were happy that we agreed to eat what he has proposed because all the meals were fresh and very tasty. The service was enough fast and staff is very polite. What we liked the most is interior of this hidden gem in the very center of capital. The walls are covered with the beautiful paintings that remind visitors about beautiful Dalmatian countryside.

For all who don't like to eat fish they can enjoy having a chocolate souffle :)

• Visited November 2013
Tucson, Arizona
“Hidden gem for good Dalmatian seafood in a happy setting - open Sundays”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Note to TA: this great little restaurant should be listed in ZAGREB, not Zagreb COUNTY - it is above Korcula, in the very middle of the city at the corner of Teslina / Nicole Tesle street.

Important note: it is open on Sundays and accepts people even at 3pm for lunch! Many other recommended restaurants are closed on Sundays in Zagreb.

To find it, you need to enter a dark porch, climb dark stairs, turn right, open a door and voila! You enter a new world of bright naive art, colorful walls in 3 rooms. Ribice ... means Fish in 3 rooms - this is exactly it. A small 3-room restaurant serving great fish and seafood. Our waiter was prompt, attentive and even better, his English was very good so that we could have everything explained well. Most of the clientele was local - a good sign.

We asked for 1/4 kg of a mussel in sauce (moule mariniere) dish to transform a main in an appetizer and the fried olives (served with some arugula) because it sounded original and then we shared a squid stew with polenta (one of their specialty) with a grilled fish. The stew portion was huge so a grilled fish with it was a good balance. For vegetables, we wanted to know what blitva was (translated in mangel???) - it is a sort of chard. 1/2 liter of good red house wine and the whole thing was under $50 for 2, tip included.

Small note for those not used to Central European customs: yes you do pay for bread if you ask for it or accept it (it's not free like in France). It happened that their bread is delicious, a sort of olive cake in fact and for a full basket, we paid 5 kn, which is less than $1 - totally worth it.

• Visited November 2013