“A Bit Far Out for a Weekend Break” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Phoenix
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sesvetska Cesta 29, Zagreb 10360, Croatia   |
Ranked #25 of 55 Hotels in Zagreb
Wareham, United Kingdom
“A Bit Far Out for a Weekend Break”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We were a party of five staying for a long weekend in Zagreb. Our first visit. The hotel was too far from the city centre for comfort. We had to use taxis to get into the centre and it was difficult to get a taxi for 5 to start with.The receptionist was not able to assist with such things as restaurant recomendations nor could he find us a large taxi. On arrival we were allocated rooms and the one my wife and I werwe in had no towels. On enquiring with the same receptionist we were told that we had to move rooms as he had made a mistake. This was annoying as we had already unpacked. The rooms were comfortable with all the desired facilities including hair dryer but no coffee or tea and no safe as advertised, This we were told was under repair and could not be found. We had no safe! Breakfast was very good and the service was good. Eggs were cooked to order and the standard of selection of cereals, fruit etc was very good.On Sunday evening having arrived back at the hotel we decided to have a drink. It was 2210. On approaching the bar we were told that it was shut even though the staff were present.Having been told that the closing time was 2300 the is was queried and we were told that on Sunday they shut at 2200 and in any case there was a staff shortage. We did not get a drink!! Overall the hotel was comfortable but let down by the service from reception (male). With a little more effort from the staff it could be very good.

Room Tip: Second floor was quieter as it is further away from basement weekend disco. (This may not be a weekl...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We were in this hotel for one night. Arrived late and took a while to figure out that the back door was closed. The rooms were supposed to come with the internet, it did not have any internet. The reception seemed a nice guy who tried to help by offering that we can come to lobby but it was late night and I couldn't do it. Early morning I came to the lobby but the internet was not still working.

The breakfast was supposed to end about 10:00 and we were there about 9:00, many items were gone. For every item we had to ask to bring them and they were not really cooperating. When we left, we noticed that they are preparing table for their own breakfast.

I was told that I need to pay for city tax which was some Kuna, I only had euros and the guy accepted euros and paid me Kuna back instead. I finally objected these issues to the receptionist, the guy seemed apologetic.

If we go Zagreb again, we will not choose this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Parma, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

The hotel is nice, good, clean, well taken . Even the restaurant, which I did not try, looked very good, with some very attractive proposal ... " the dalmatian raw ham " for example . If I return in that area, I will stay there once again and try the ham .

I liked the style of the room, very modern and high tech ... but, at 6:05 am, for some strange reason the television switched on by itself ... and I lost a good one and half hour sleep !

Before going to bed I also had to turn off the refrigerator of the minibar . Nice tool, but it made a strange noise ... like a small frog inside ... and believe me ! there was no frog there . It is probably due to the no-frost system ... some strange valvles make small noises .

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

just got back from there,
thing is when i was booking this hotel i was a bit up and down.

when i got there, all the bad reviews i saw on tripadvisor , and their reasons werent there, i guess hotel removed all the mistakes they had and moved on.

wireles is all over the place, i forgto my shaving kit and they gave me one for the guests with a small rasor and shaving foam and creme, really cute.

thay also ironed my shirt for free wehn i had to go to a meeting in the centre,taxi has some kind of a deal and it was around 10 euros, really cheap.

nothing best but the food, their restaurant is a thing of its own, receptionist told me that people come from outside just to eat there, and i am not surprised.and brakfast was awsome.

i got more then i was expecting here, i am definetly coming back in november

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I regularly stay at Phoenix Hotel in Zagreb during my business trips.Easy access from the highway when travelling by car.The city center is within 10 minutes ride.
I like the comfortable and clean rooms, some of them are recently renovated.The hotel has a really recomendable Croatian restaurant with a good choice of local wines.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Ljubljana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

While traveling through Zagreb I have stayed in the hotel several times. Easy access from highway. Very clean, excellent self service breakfast, good variety and high quality. New, comfortable beds, large screen TV. Hotel has good fitness, sauna and if you have some time do take advantage of excellent massage. Hotel has deceiving appearances: inside is much better than one would judge from the outside.

In winter rooms tend to be too hot, I had to open the window to cool.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Tehran, Iran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Phoenix is a wonderful place to choose in Zagreb. Phoenix provides u with warm atmosphere and many options. I loved that place

Room Tip: allof the rooms are well suited. i didnt had any spesific choice
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Phoenix? Share your experiences!