“Best Location in Zagreb” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Dubrovnik
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ljudevita Gaja 1, Zagreb 10000, Croatia   |
Ranked #15 of 55 hotels in Zagreb
Oakton, Va
“Best Location in Zagreb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This hotel is fantastic from the viewpoint of service, location, and room. We arrived and were taken to our room immediately. The hotel and its breakfast room are right on the main square in Zagreb. We watched the "rush hour" in the square while we ate breakfast. Likewise, we walked the town from the central location of the hotel and when we left we walked to the train station only a few blocks away along one of the most beautiful streets in the town. The room was large and the bed was great. I would not stay anywhere else in Zagreb because of the combination of hotel services, room comfort and location!

Room Tip: Did not see enough rooms to know this
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

454 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Right in the centre of Zargreb. Good cafe and buffet bar. The rooms are acceptable but not something to write home about. The location is excellent. My wife and me like the hotel. However, we decided to move to an apartment as the prices of the hotel were not compatible with our budget.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel is very central and therefore a good choice if you plan to do some sightseeieng. My single room was not very big, but it was clean and well furnished. Toilet was small but clean and very warm. Comfortable bed. The hotel does not view the central square, so the view was not great. WiFi is available throughout at no cost. The lobby has also a bar, but there is no space for just casual sitting or working. Reception was friendly, they checked me very early in the day.
Breakfast is served in the adjecent reastaurant and was good, although more on the savoury than sweet stuff. There is a parking available.
Altogether a good choice particularly for those who want to remain central and for business.

• Stayed February 2013
Brattleboro, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here for two nights on business at the recommendation of a co-worker. The room was nice, and the staff was helpful and friendly. Other reviewers have said that they did not understand english, and I imagine this might be the case for some complicated requests, but I had no trouble making myself understood, nor ordering at the restaurant.

The hotel breakfast was excellent—a good variety of hot food, bread, coffee and tea. I had mostly fresh fruit, yogurt and muesli for breakfast, but also tried the eggs and some of the other offerings, and all were quite good. The coffee was not slow-food quality, but it was better than average.

The hotel restaurant did not shine at dinner—I ordered a Pizza Margherita, and got a cheese pizza with an olive in the center. Perfectly edible, but not what I was expecting. The sparkling water here is incredibly bad, though. Do not order. I could not finish it.

The free internet that comes with the room worked well, although it was not entirely trustworthy—they do some filtering. So if you use it, use secure protocols, and maybe set up a tunnel for your DNS traffic.

My remark about "the right room" isn't based on having got the wrong room, but I reserved a "Deluxe King," which was very reasonably priced compared to the Esplanade. The room was spacious, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was clean and well appointed.

My room was in a newer wing of the hotel (my colleagues who did not order the deluxe room were in the other wing, but did not complain about their rooms, so those rooms are probably okay as well). The public areas in the new wing were nicely decorated, with an open atrium in the middle.

The hotel is right off the town square, and there were lots of shops nearby, plus a frightening array of sausage stands—if you are into sausage, this is clearly the place to be. The tram system runs close to the hotel, and will get you around town if you have the time to figure out how to use it. I unfortunately didn't—it was a busy two days.

I might be tempted to try the Esplanade next time I'm in town just for comparison, but I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Wien
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The biggest asset of Hotel Dubrovnik is its location right on the main square, with a lot of restaurants within walking distance.

I had stayed in Hotel Dubrovnik a couple of times years ago and then stopped because price-value in my opinion were not right - everything from the attitude of the people behind the reception desk to the interior design and the quality of the breakfast were just inferior and not worth the money.

As I've seen the hotel advertising its new rooms on a booking portal, I decided to give it a try again. What can I say: nothing had chanced. I got an old room. The breakfast was as horrible as it used to be. Also the communist-style attitude of the staff hasn't changed. So I was disappointed.

Because I was curious I asked how many rooms they have already renewed - they told me less than half .. so I guess I'll wait for another year or two until I come back. Hopefully by then they will have real orange juice and real coffee for breakfast too and some of the people working there will have retired.

Room Tip: ask for new rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Frederick, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The location of the hotel is excellent if you are sightseeing. However, being right on the main square, you can hear a lot of street noise. We were staying during advent and every night, a few times each night, there was a loud concert in the square, which we could hear clearly in our room. When there weren't concerts, you had street performers right out front that you could also hear. Interestingly, we did not have a problem hearing other guests from our room, but the noise from the street was very loud.

Some of the staff were very friendly and helpful. They went above and beyond during our 7 night stay. Others were just so so. The breakfast was nice every morning. We ordered room service several nights and enjoyed the food (and the prices in Zagreb for food, in general, were excellent. Very affordable.).

Overall it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paphos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel just prior to Christmas. Being situated on the old square we were treated to the nightly free concerts in the square as well as the host of Christmas market stalls. Trams were no more than 10 metres away. Staff were exceptionally helpful and courteous. The hotel restaurant represented excellent value for money. Rooms were comfortable and spotlessly clean. Free WiFi was in the room.

Room Tip: Even rooms on the square have very effective double glazing to keep out the noise
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Dubrovnik? Share your experiences!