“Absolute magic” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Indian
New York City, New York
“Absolute magic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Interior is quite authenthic. Owner is really nice guy with an open attitude, very good host. Food is absolutely magic! We have tried Thali, Curry chicken, Briyani rice, and some other meals. Naans were also fresh and delicious. Also they served us original idian tea which is remarkable. Will come there again very soon! :)

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dubrovnik, Croatia
“Bad Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Poor interior, the lack of female hands. About food. I reluctant to comment, it's about the food, let's just say it could be a lot better. I also think that the waiter was aware of the situation at the restaurant.
When you take everything into account I think I will not go there again.

• Visited March 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Lonesome, Isolated In Need for a Maharani!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

This restaurant has been around for ever, and has quite a reputation, i.e for bad food. So, even though I eat at Royal India regularly, I wanted to see for myself how bad it really is! So I ended up here with a friend, and were warmly greeted by the owner who turned out to be a typical Bhaiya from UP. The place is deceptive from the outside. The restaurant is upstairs, and in spite of the typical, tired old images and paintings that one sees in all India restaurants outside India, the space was quite inviting. After the limited menu at Royal India, I was quite excited to see certain items here (Bhindi, baingan bharta, poori, dosa, etc.) But the owner quickly deflated my excitement by saying none of these items were available, since there is no demand for them! At the end of the meal I wondered if there was a demand at all for this place. We were the only diners on a Friday evening! While the food itself was not much to write about, I was quite pleasantly surprised with the owner's forthright and honest attitude, making no excuses and offering no apologies for anything amiss. He blamed the meat centric Croatians for his woes, and to a large extent I agree with him. However, Royal India seems to be doing quite well, even though it is very inconsistent in its offering. Also, the prices here were on the higher side.

Perhaps, if the owner could find a Maharani, this Maharaja may not be so lonely!

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Huntington Beach, California
“Oasis in the desert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

After being on travel for 10+ days, it was good for an ethnic Indian to find an Indian restaurant in Croatia. Granted that they don't serve gourmet Indian food, but that is not what I expected. Running the only restaurant in a country where Indian food is virtually unknown must be challenging. Anyway, the owner personally greeted us as we entered the front door. The roasted paneer with a spicy chutney as appetizer was excellent, and chicken curry and bharta (roasted eggplants/brinjals) as main courses were reasonably good and nans were fresh and piping hot. It is located on a not-so-well-traveled street, so the only people who would come here are the ones who are craving for some Indian food and would seek it out, or the few locals who like that fare. We did not expect an Indian restaurant in Zagreb and were fortunate just to be walking that street and finding this gem. The Indian ex-pats normally don't go to Indian restaurants as they think of it to be a food that they can fix at home for a fraction of the cost. So, I wouldn't worry about expats not patronizing it. And how many of them live in Zagreb in close proximity in the first place? The owner of this restaurant was the only Indian (either a resident or a tourist) that I met/saw during my visit there. I would definitely visit it again, should I happen to be in Zagreb in future.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Velika Gorica, Croatia
“Poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

poor stuff, bad atmosphere, bad food...
Worst restaurant food I have ever encountered.
Never come back again!