“Amazing Hostel, great atmosphere with friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

Hostel Mali Mrak
Dubicka 8, Zagreb 10000, Croatia   |
Ranked #1 of 105 Specialty Lodging in Zagreb
Split, Croatia
“Amazing Hostel, great atmosphere with friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Great place to stay and know people form around the world. The hostel was nice and I really enjoyed the atmosphere. The rooms were big and confortable. The bathrooms were clean and everything worked very well. The staff were friendly and they help you for all your needs.
The hostel had an amazing vibes and Igor (the Owner) is simply the best.
I'm pretty sure that i will come back as soon as possible in this wonderful place!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
GnomeZagreb, Owner at Hostel Mali Mrak, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Pierro!! good to read you here, thank you as well :)))

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

For a lot of reasons this place is amazing!! A LOT! But you can just talk about the people who works in the hostel. They are great! Nice people, very friendly and helpful! You just have a good sensation of being at home, in a nice and cozy place. I went to croatia for just a few days and at the end i spend a whole week at the hostel! Great place!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
GnomeZagreb, Owner at Hostel Mali Mrak, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
And that brazilian style lunch you made is still remembered, as the picture shows, lol :D
Thank you B., !!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Great staff, location and facilities. The guys'll help you with whatever you need, and make you feel at home at the same time.

The rooms are worm and the kitchen is ok to cook, wich is good if you are travelling on a low budget, also the room price is not expensive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
GnomeZagreb, Owner at Hostel Mali Mrak, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thanks! Update: there's an additional, outside summer kitchen now :=)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

As a big group, we all enjoyed our stay here. It wasn't in the city, but it was only a short tram away. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It's a very quiet neighbourhood and the staff really respect this- We were asked to be quiet at around 9pm for talking slightly loud in the garden. So it is definitely a place to go and chill and not a party hostel. Perfect place for lone travellers or small groups to meet other people from all over the world. The rooms themselves were decent and the hostel felt more like a massive house than seperate dorms which was different from any others we stayed in.

• Stayed June 2014
GnomeZagreb, Owner at Hostel Mali Mrak, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Yes sir, exactly :D! Quiet place, not a party hostel, that's us :) I like your review, but i do have to make a correction: Quiet time is after 22:00, not 21:00, and if you were asked to be quiet, it's because people from England are usually really loud (sorry, but that's a fact :D), so your perception of " talking slightly loud" would be "quite loud" in ours. We have no other choice, even if we wanted, because the police regulates these issues very precisely!

Thanks for staying!
Kaiserslautern, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

I mean that title literally. I've traveled all over Europe and Africa and stayed at more hostels than I can count, and if I had to pick one place to go back to, it would be Mali Mrak. I planned to stay one night on my way to the coast but ended up staying a week the first time, and barely left the hostel because I was enjoying drinking wine in the garden with the staff and other guests too much to leave. I came back through on my way out of the Balkans and got stuck nearly another week because I couldn't make myself leave. I wanted to live there forever. If you've been on the road a long time and need a place to recover your sanity, I can't recommend this place more highly.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
GnomeZagreb, Owner at Hostel Mali Mrak, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
High praise, dear Cid :) We're glad you came, and stayed and came again. But i think there's a lot of "best places in the world" :) We are expecting you!
Haskovo, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I stayed at Mali Mrak for a few nights in the spring (2014) and have been recommending it to friends going to Zagreb every since. Igor and company have created a warm, welcoming environment that fosters community. The staff was helpful and kind, the rooms were great, and the location away of the noise of the city center. I will absolutely stay here again next time I'm in town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
GnomeZagreb, Owner at Hostel Mali Mrak, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you Sam, for being part of the community, and the nice review :)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

As someone who has stayed at dozens of hostels in the past few years, I can honestly say that Mali Mrak is among the best I've seen. It is constantly being renovated, very clean, afforably priced, and has a fantastic atmosphere; all that, though, pales in comparison to it's most positive aspect: the people. The owner is without question the warmest and most welcoming I've encountered, and everyone working there couldn't be more pleasant. During my stay I was treated to a free hiking tour and a delicious homemade meal. I honestly cannot recommend this hostel highly enough.

And in regards to comments other reviewers have left about the hostel being a place full of "scary drugs", I will only say that I saw nothing of the sort during my time at Mali Mrak.

• Stayed May 2014
GnomeZagreb, Owner at Hostel Mali Mrak, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thanks for the support, Jake. The issue has been solved. Turned out to be a somewhat problematic girl. You are always welcome here.

Been to Hostel Mali Mrak? Share your experiences!