“Charming Accommodation + Excellent Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofia Residence

Save Saved
You added Sofia Residence to your Saves list
Sofia Residence
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   63 Oborishte Street, Sofia 1504, Bulgaria (Formerly Residence Oborishte)   |
Ranked #9 of 122 hotels in Sofia
Zichron Yaakov, Israel
“Charming Accommodation + Excellent Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were in town for a wedding and were looking for a boutique place close to the City center. Couldn't have wished for anything better. This charming townhouse-type hotel was just perfect. Our suite was spacious and perfectly equipped (including a fully-stuffed) bar, the staff was extremely helpful and eager to accommodate. The hotel is located on a charming quite street with numerous cafes and convenience stores. The city center (Alexander Nevsky Cathedral) is within 10-minute walk. Also, very reasonably priced, particularly as compared to Western European or US equivalents. Would definitely stay there next time we are in town.

Room Tip: Go for the attic
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Berlin, Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

For a year I got to stay at this hotel many times for work. My boss got a room at the Oborishte one trip and told me that I had to request it on my next trip. It turned out to be an excellent find.

The people who work there are friendly. The breakfasts were always great for going into a sometimes long day at work. I stayed in many of the rooms in the hotel. They all looked nice, were clean, and were comfortable. The room right below the penthouse toward the back is probably my favorite. Though, in summer when a thunder storm rolls through, I would sit up in the penthouse and watch the storm while drinking wine. It was pretty excellent.

The neighborhood is excellent. Its changed even in the year I was there. There are lot trendy restaurants appearing. I passed a fancy-looking cheese and wine shop last time I was there.

I recently left my job for better things and won't get to go back for a while. These folks run a good hotel and they made my trips away from home excellent, so I am leaving a nice note. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

With a just very few rooms, this Hotel has very warmth atmosphere! It is very private and charming, the stuff is very nice and great food! Very big and fantastic rooms! Very good location! I recommend it!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are very big and beautiful. Only the one in the top is a little bit smaller than the o...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My friend and I stayed here last month, and were delighted to have found such a gem.

The positives:

1) It's located in a leafy, peaceful district favoured by foreign embassies - and is just a few minutes walk from Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. Other key tourist attractions are about 15 minutes away by foot.

2) Forget what you might have read in other reviews; although this gorgeous little property is predominantly aimed at couples or single business travellers, it is possible to share a room with a friend. We enquired in advance and were given a beautifully decorated, immaculate suite - Tzarevetz - where the stylish, oversized sofa was converted into a second bed for us.

3) Breakfast is fantastic. Yes, you have to order the evening before, but this is only the slightest of inconveniences. In return, you can opt to have breakfast in your room (they don't apply room service charges here) or downstairs - both until very late in the morning. The portions are enormous, too. And there's a lot of choice. I can seriously recommend the Bulgarian breakfast.

4) The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. They helped us sort out a little medical emergency without batting an eyelid, and were on-hand to deal with any requests we had - from sourcing a guide for a trip out of the city to answering questions about Sofia itself to providing free wifi passwords.

5) The on-site restaurant, Landau, was really well-priced - considering that it is a hotel restaurant. Both service and quality/menu options were great.

The negatives?

None. Seriously, you could nit-pick about little things, such as the fact that Residence Oborishte doesn't have a night porter or the fact that it doesn't offer a couple of rooms with twin beds. But these fade into insignificance when you compare them to what you get.

All in all, I would very much recommend Residence Oborishte - to couples, single travellers or small groups of friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Friendly stuff, excellent rooms, bars, food etc. I can truly recommend it! I forgot my scarf somewhere and they found it took good care of it until my friend picked it up and sent it to me.
Larry Kärkkäinen, Helsinki, Finland

Room Tip: I had "Serdnica". Jolly good!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Very comfortable apartments, extremely friendly and accommodating staff. Breakfast brought up to the room at a time to suit me. I travel on business a lot and have grown to hate large faceless hotels. This really did feel homely and cosy. In fact, it's one of the best places I have stayed on a trip. One of the gems of Sofia.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I visit Sofia regularly on business and normally stay elsewhere, however this time I was pursuaded by a colleague to give the Sofia Residence a try. I booked a superior double and wasn't disappointed, large lounge, bedroom area with freestanding bath very nicely decorated, clean and well presented..I was impressed.
The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough to help, breakfast was good with a wide choice and they were quite happy to bring it to the room at any time you wished. I wanted to use the gym which is based off site (but less than a 5 minute walk) this was well equipped and no hassle getting in with the hotel entry card.
I eat in the on-site restaurant in the evening, this had a very nice atmoshphere, food was good and very reasonably priced.
All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 night stay and will be making this my regular chocie in future visits.
Keep up the good work

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sofia Residence? Share your experiences!