“A Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 124 Hotels in Sofia
Provo, Utah
“A Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I spent 3 days at the Grand Hotel, and I cannot say enough good concerning this hotel. The room was luxurious, very quiet, and clean. The bed was excellent. The design of the hotel was very inviting and reassuring to a weary traveler. The service was superb, and the staff was very helpful in providing information about the city. The breakfast buffet was very good with a large selection of food. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Sofia.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Valued guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share this review. We're flattered and thrilled that you enjoyed our amenities and, above all, that the service exceeded your expectations. Your remark on the service of my colleagues is very much appreciated because it is people’s attitude that really makes the difference. Reading your review would be a great motivating factor for all of them.

Thank you for your overall rating of Grand Hotel Sofia as an excellent hotel.
Naturally, we would love to be at your service again in the future and hope that your travel plans will take you back to Bulgaria.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The Sofia Grand hotel lives up to its name. Excellent service, huge rooms, very good restaurant, good central location.
I was upgraded to a top floor room with balcony which had lovely views over the city one way and the mountains the other way.
The restaurant is really excellent - I would especially recommend the smoked salmon and the beef stroganoff. Bulgarian red wine is also very good indeed.
My only suggested improvement would be that the breakfast service could be better.
Do take the time to walk to the Saint Sofia church, the Russian church and the cathedral which are all within 10 minutes walk through pleasant parks.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for the kind words and recognition. What a wonderful start of the year.
We’re proud of our culinary operation and work hard to ensure that the dining experience is of the highest caliber possible, with fresh ingredients and gourmet dishes that look as amazing as they taste. We are glad that our efforts have been noticed.

We really hope that you will find reasons to come back to Sofia and I would like to assure you that my colleagues will make it another worthwhile experience for you.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Sofia in November 2013. I read the reviews before traveling and all the bad things I read about the hotel I did not see when I stayed. The staff was very nice and attentive. They helped with everything from getting me a power adapter to giving me recommendations on where to eat and places to see. The other reviews I read about the staff being more concerned about their smart phones and not greeting the customers were completely wrong.
The rooms were HUGE and gave me the room I needed to get my work done. The breakfast at the restaurant was wonderful and the staff at the restaurant made me realize why this is a 5 star hotel.
The hotel is located in a part of the city where one felt safe to be able to walk around at night without the fear of being mugged or robbed. I cannot say that for the other countries I have visited. Places where you could not walk past the corner of the hotel without feeling threatened.
I would like to give a special thanks to Irenia who works at the front desk, who took the time to show me around a little after she got off work. That was a very nice thing to do and I learned a lot about the beautiful city of Sofia.
All in all, I would stay at this hotel again and may be the only hotel I would stay at in Sofia.
Thank you for the wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the 7th floor or higher. You will have a nice view of the city and mountains.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this wonderful review.
It was a real pleasure reading it. Our service team is grateful for the kind recognition.

Thank you for your overall rating of Grand Hotel Sofia as an excellent hotel. We are thrilled that we have come to your level of expectations and even exceeded it.
You are a valued patron of our hotel and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on future occasions.
Wish you a great and successful 2014.
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Just came back from 4 nights at the Grand Hotel, Sofia.
The hotel is right on the city center, within a walking distance to main attractions, shopping etc.
The staff is extremely helpful, service is excellent. Room is cleaned twice a day. The rooms are HUGE! and very comfortable.
The buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner are somewhat disappointing...
With such a splendid hotel one could expect more imagination from the hotel's chef...
However, I will happily recommend this hotel to all my friends.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear valued guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us and for choosing Grand Hotel Sofia. We are delighted that you have enjoyed our amenities and, above all, that the service has met your expectations.
Please take time up on your next visit to contact me directly and we can discuss any cuisine suggestions and preferences you may have. We would gladly prepare something special that will suite your taste.
Happy Holidays from all of us.
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

At the heart of Sofia and a few minutes walking from the must see. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Had a nice view from room 611 (single room). Gym and spa available (unfortunately had not time). Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, December 11, 2013

Sofia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

12 nights at the Grand hotel. Great place to stay although I would advise personell to smile a bit more. Makes you feel more comfortable especially when you have to stay 12 days. Rooms are great and clean. Would like to see more choices in the In-room dining menu. There's enough to see/shop in the area where the Grand is located.
mr. Nelwan

• Stayed November 2013
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor readers. The guest feedback is the best way for us to rate the quality of the services that we provide. Thank you for helping us in our ongoing efforts to achieve excellence. Your notes have been taken into consideration.

We are looking forward to your next visit to Sofia and our hotel.
Sincerely

toronto, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Fantastic location and excellent room. The size of the room was spectacular. The furniture and decor were ok, a bit dated, but very clean and upscale.
The personnel is not very well trained, for example they would avoid eye contact and would not greet the guests, even if they have seen them repeatedly, numerous times per day. It could be a cultural issue, but for a 5 star hotel, I would expect the personnel to be trained a bit better. They were helpful if asked questions, however.
The gym is inadequate. It's a small room in the basement with no window and hardly any ventilation. There are a couple of machines, but I wouldn't call it a fitness centre. If there are more than two people working out, it would be a problem. Also it's hard to access it, you need to take a separate elevator which is slow and very tiny.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for your overall rating of Grand Hotel Sofia as an excellent hotel.
We would also like to thank you for the valuable feedback you shared with us, because it all will help us in our ongoing efforts to meet guests’ expectations.
The small size of the fitness area we try to compensate with all the other facilities in the SPA center including Jacuzzi, sauna and steam bath. Many of our guests take the time to indulge in different body treatments and all of them share their positive experience.
We hope it will not be long before we welcome you again as guests of the Grand Hotel Sofia. I can guarantee you that my colleagues will make sure that it would be a worthwhile experience for you.

Best Regards

Front Office Manager

Been to Grand Hotel Sofia? Share your experiences!