“Good hotel in downtown Sofia” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Spa Experience Package
Ranked #15 of 124 Hotels in Sofia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good hotel in downtown Sofia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Modern style, brand new hotel in a very good location in downtown Sofia. It is close to shops, restaurants, bars and the cathedral. It also has a rooftop bar which is great if you want to have one last drink before going to bed.Staff was kind and responsive. Overall no complains. If you are traveling on a budget though, there are cheaper alternatives in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Elitza V, General Manager at Sense Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments about your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

We love to know that you have found our hotel and its location appealing to your needs and requirements.
We are pleased to learn that you’ve appreciated the kind service of our team members and enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback.

Sense Hotel Sofia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Greek first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I went there for a week for a company training, this hotel is really well located in the center of the city, in addition the bar on the rooftop is one of the good one for nightlife so you can easily enjoy a drink

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments of your recent stay with Sense Hotel Sofia.

It is our pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and the views and drinks of our rooftop bar.
We hope that your visit to Sofia and the training were pleasant and exciting.

We’d love to have you back with us in the future.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We have stayed in the hotel with my husband and a small baby. We have booked one of the suites as we needed more space with a crawling baby and we were not disappointed. The suite was around 45-50sq m with an actual sitting area. Hotel is very design and modern which we liked. We had an amazing terrace with a view of the cathedral though as it was snowing we could not use it.

Our check in was very smooth and quick . We were offered a glass of champagne for welcoming. Really friendly receptionist team (there were 2 people at the time of our arrival)

We have realized there was no baby bed in the room as requested and it was very quickly sorted.

The breakfast at the restaurant is really nice. The hotel has also the stokke chairs for kids which was lifesaver. The staff was very attentive and constantly asking whether they can prepare something for our son.

I did not use the spa but my husband did and said it was very nice.

We have also tried the bar on the top which apparently is a trendy place to be. It was a bit too loud and I found the manager of the place to be slightly rude considering we were staying in the hotel. I guess it was a busy Saturday night but still.
As we stayed in the suite just below the bar we could hear the noise until 1 o'clock. It did not bother us but in case you are a noise sensitive traveller have it in mind.

We have also tried the restaurant at the hotel which was excellent. It was quiet with good food options. The wine card was vast and we could choose between both Bulgarian and French wines.

As a sum up absolutely amazing hotel in the city center of Sofia. Very easy to explore the tourist attractions around with excellent restaurants around. Very welcoming staff and great customer service. Highly recommending the hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience with us on TripAdvisor!
We greatly appreciate and value your feedback!

It’s a great pleasure for us to learn that you and your family enjoyed staying with us and found our staff, services and facilities accommodating. It is wonderful and very rewarding to know that you have such kind words to say about our hotel. We are glad that you have tasted our breakfast and restaurant menu and both adhered to your expectations and we were equipped with all items that your little one needed.

I was disappointed to read of your experience at the rooftop bar and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused. I’m glad that the service received there has not affected your overall stay in a negative way. I would to assure you that your comment was communicated to our rooftop bar manager and he’s run an investigation for these dates in March, 2014.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and compliments! We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The Sense hotel is a boutique hotel that tries to offer style and comfort.

It is located next to the Parliament on a main road close to the best shops, embassies university and park.

Check in is at 2pm and no rooms were available before that time.

The bar / lobby area leads on to the restaurant which has outdoor terrace at the back of the hotel. It is shaded and also heated for winter. Breakfast is served here. Breakfast buffet has good quality ingredients - the mini-croissants are very good. However the coffee is poor and special coffees have to be paid for.

Sense hotel has a nice roof-top bar / sitting out area most of which is enclosed but fantastic views in all directions. Drinks are quite expensive - and champagne prices are club prices not bar prices.

There is a spa and 15m long swimming pool as well as a salt water tub.

The bed had a good mattress and soft or hard pillows and great sheets. I slept very well. We had one of the largest rooms. All have wooden floors in the bed area and marble tiles in the other parts. So it is a minimalist look and feel. Wi-fi is fast.

Overall it is a good destination hotel to spend a 3-4 days exploring Sofia. Would I go back? Yes.

Room Tip: front rooms are larger (and more expensive)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Elitza V, General Manager at Sense Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback.

We are exceptionally pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and had the time to try our Spa, restaurant and Rooftop Bar. We are more than happy to know that you had a great sleep and appreciated the world quality of our mattresses, pillows and bed linen. Our guests’ sleep is of predominant importance to us and that’s why we have invested in the best quality bedding.

I was surprised to read that you have been asked to pay for the espresso at breakfast as this is complimentary with every breakfast.
However, as part of our internal procedures, we do ask all our valued guests to sign for their coffee consumption at a zero price. In either case, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I regret that we could not meet your request for an early check-in, though we strive hard to meet such, should hotel availability allows it. We do suggest that such services are requested as early as possible, preferably at time of booking, in order to do our best to accommodate them.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Sincerely yours,

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

The service at check-in was not a good experience but the manager went out of her way to rectify it so we were very pleased. The room was spotless, modern & very nice. The top floor rooftop was gorgeous! The staff was overall very friendly but to my disappointment, when we asked where the Central Synagogue was (it's the largest in Southeastern Europe), they didn't know what a synagogue was (or a temple) and didn't know where it was. They even asked each other and still could not help. I can't understand how a modern hotel that provides touring recommendations didn't know that such a beautiful, holy place exists less than a mile from them & they didn't know what or where it was.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

It is our goal to consistently provide exceptional service and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target issue areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

It is with gladness to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff friendly. I’m happy to know that the mentioned bad experience at check-in, for which I sincerely apologize, did not leave a bad taste and was solved to your satisfaction promptly. I regret to read that the staff you have questioned about the Synagogue were unable to provide the needed the information. Usually our Concierge go out their limits when it comes to finding any information needed by our guests. This is the type of attitude we try to maintain within the entire hotel team. If I had an idea which department you questioned it would be easy for me investigate further this unusual behavior on behalf of our team.

Hopefully we’ll have another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Sussex, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

The location is great and the hotel is much better designed and furnished (in a standard hotel sort of way) than most other Sofia hotels. The spa is excellent, very nicely done and very relaxing ( though quite small). Loved the steel pool and hot tubs. The rooftop bar is pleasant too with lovely views.

The catering was very overpriced. I know this is common with expensive hotels but there's a mark-up and there's serious rip off. Bulgaria is an extremely cheap place to eat. For example breakfast at the hotel was 35 lev. Breakfast in the very pleasant garden cafe 50m down the road was 7 lev. Also, we signed for a 7 lev tip for the waiter in the roof top bar. When I came to pay the bill the next morning, the total bill amount was correct but an extra food item had been added to our bill and the tip reduced to 1 lev. When I queried it at reception they said there was nothing they could do. I found it very unpleasant that a hotel would purposely take money intended for their staff.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed staying with us. We are glad that you had the time to enjoy our urban Spa and the Rooftop bar views as these two don’t have a parallel in Sofia.

I’m sorry that we have not appealed to your pricing expectations about the meals offered. I would like to assure you that our full buffet breakfast, priced at 35 BGN, contains great variety and only high quality products that cannot be found in any of the cafés in Sofia offering breakfast items. Our lunch specials and a-la-carte menu prices, served at the restaurant and bars, again prepared without any compromise on quality, are very competitive to all similar restaurants in Sofia.

Your comment about the waiter tip really did surprised me and greatly triggered by attention. I fully investigated the situation and have spoken to the receptionist at time of your check-out. I can assure you that the tip left on the bar’s bill is the tip that the waiter will receive. Should you provide me with an e-mail, I’ll be more than happy to send you a copy of your bar bill to prove this. Our hotel software splits the meals and drinks' checks in a strange way, making it confusing for our guests sometimes. We’ve been working on changing this with the provider of the software for some time now, with no final success till now. For that reason wait staff tips information is acquired through the bar & restaurant software before being distributed to staff. I’m sorry that our receptionist had not had the chance to explain this to you at time of querying it.

I thank you once again for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We hope that you’ll be our guests again when traveling to Sofia.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay in Sense Hotel in Sofia.

It was a personal (non-business related) visit to Sofia and we really enjoyed staying in Sense even if it is quite expensive hotel for Bulgaria. I feel we paid a fair price for what we got - friendly an experienced stuff, good rooms and a fair hotel restaurant. The breakfast was also ok - it is not the breakfast in Mariott for sure, but it is a very good breakfast for the smaller hotel. The sky bar and the spa was very good as well. Yes, I absolutely agree that this hotel is not really a 5 star hotel you find in UK or France, but my stay was quite comfortable so I do not regret the investments (taking into consideration that we stayed in the other hotel which charged us 80% of Sense price and was really bad).

As per the comments:
1. There is no clothes hanger in the bathroom - we used spa and swimming pool every day and it was very painful to dry our clothes as there was no place to hang it. So I personally finished up with a wet swimming suit all the time. The spa is great though and the facial is really good.

2. Lifts only bringing you to the floor of your room, so if your team/friends stay on the other floor you need to come up with some kind of a plan to meet them and visit their room. I absolutely appreciate that it is done for the safety of the guests but this hotel looks like a hotel for business stay, so I assume this issue creates a lot of problems for those who travel in groups like us.

3. Seems that the hotel is not particularly flexible with the late check-out and early check-in, but the girl at the reception really did her best to accommodate us as early as possible. Would be fantastic to improve on this.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

It’s a pleasure and reward to find out that you experienced a lovely stay with us.
Your comments are greatly appreciated. We apologize for the inconvenience caused due to limited hanging space in the bathroom. As you have noted yourself, the guest floor lifts’ access control has been put in place for the security and comfort of our hotel guests. We do have many non-hotel visitors for the Rooftop bar and Spa and we have restricted lifts’ access to ensure that all hotel guests are never inconvenienced or left unsecured by any means. Regarding your comment about early check-in and late check-out, I would like to share with you, that we always do our utmost in trying to accommodate our guests’ needs of this kind based on hotel availability. I regret if we could not meet your request this time due to the high occupancy rates. We do recommend reserving such services at time of making a reservation to allow greater hotel flexibility.

It would be a great pleasure to have you back with us in the future.

Sense Hotel Sofia

Been to Sense Hotel Sofia? Share your experiences!