My sister and I went to he 'Barbarossa' on the last evening of a week trip through Bulgaria. After having read the comments of our predecessors, we were quite enthusiastic to have dinner at an original italian restaurant. unfortunately, our choice ended up being the worst place we've eaten during our trip. here come the reasons:
1) the barbarossa is quite expensive. expect paying twice the prices of a standard italian restaurant in Bulgaria und much more then usual bulgarian restaurants. this place is undoubtedly upper class, so it has to accomplish upper class standards.
2) the servant forgot our drinks. we waited for the drinks 20 minutes, got them finally after the starter.
3) i ordered an 'erdinger weißbier', but believe it or not - and i have drunk many wheat beers in my life, so i'm 100 % sure that my taste worked well - the beer that was in bottle wasn't an erdinger weißbier. it was for sure not a yeast beer. i have no idea how this can happen, but i'm sure that it did happen.
4) i ordered tortellini for 18 leva and had about 9 of them on my plate which weren't in any way special. they weren't bad, but regarding quality in quantity unreasonably expensive.
5) the tortellini came 20 minutes before the pizza for my sister came. so we had to eat seperately from each other.
6) to bridge the time gap, i decided to order a tiramisu. another 20 minutes later - by sister had meanwhile finished the pizza - the servant approached to inform me that there is no tiramisu and that i could have something else instead. we asked for the bill.
7) on the bill, i found the tiramisu. of course we didn't have to pay for it, but all in all another point for a disastrous dinner.
barbarossa gets one point for the nice atmosphere and for the quality of food, which isn't special or worth a visit though.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.