“elegant and confortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 124 Hotels in Sofia
Ferno, Italy
“elegant and confortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014

our favourite hotel in Sofia.
it is in the center with private parking. rooms with elegant furniture. right in the center of Sofia at a walking distance from all you must see.
on the same street a plenty of pubs and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2014

As I stumbled into the Maria Luisa at around 6:30am, after leaving my hostel because of the poor management there, I didn't know what to expect.

I completely lucked out! The Maria Luisa was great! The room and bathroom were spacious, it was very clean and quiet. The location was just a couple blocks from the main shopping area too.

I was also pleasantly surprised when I left to find out they would only charge me half price the say of my early arrival!

The staff was also very friendly and helpful.

I couldn't have hoped for a better hotel to walk-in on and know nothing about. If I return to Sofia I'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2014
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I originally booked with the Downtown Hotel. When I arrived at Downtown, they said there was no room for me and blamed the travel agent. Then they told me there was a room at the Maria Luisa, 10 min walk (not true). They didn't ask me whether I wanted to go to another hotel of MY choice. I went with it as just arrived for first time. The hotel looks like a very poor youth hostel from the outside. Arrived at Maria Luisa, very dated room smelling of cig making my eyes burn. Room was extremely noisy on a main road. Also, the hotel was too far from my congress location - not the ten minutes walk they were dishonestly telling me. Very bad scam between the 2 hotels. Called travel agent straight away to change. Beware of booking at these 2 hotels as you are in danger of being seriously disappointed. I really wish this hotel was good but it wasn't showing that they try to trick you with an inferior arrangement. Sadly, bad impression of Sofia on my first visit.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Tirana, Albania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I loved the hotel. Such a great hotel with spacious and clean rooms, excellent staff and delicious breakfast. Everything about it is so welcoming. The staff is so polite and ready to offer their assistance. I enjoyed the standards of Maria Luisa!

Room Tip: Room 302 is a very nice one
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Island of Malta, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The hotel is situated on a main street of Sofia. But despite of this the rooms are very quiet. My sister and her husband had a room overlooking the main street but they had no problems with noise. The only thing that they heard was the gentle rumbling of the tram.
Rooms are clean, the towels are changed every day and they have a nice, clean smell to them. The staff are very friendly and courteous. We were leaving the hotel at 07:30, the time the restaurant opens for breakfast, but they opened the restaurant at 07:00 so that we can get breakfast before we leave. I have been around a lot, but never had a hotel restaurant opened for us before opening time.
The view out of our window was a small garden that is shared by some residents, not a grand site BUT who is going to look out of the window when one is on holiday?
Price wise very moderate. I'd recommend this hotel, if we go back to Sofia, we will stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bucharest, Romania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The fact is I barely managed to enter the hotel. I had booked a room online, confirmed the booking and started my journey towards Sofia. Just when I was arriving I received a phone call from the hotel, telling me that there was a problem with my room, which had become unavailable (they did not want to tell me what had happened), they didn't have any other, so I could not stay in their hotel. Imagine how nice it feels to find yourself for the first time in a foreign city, at 6 PM, with no accomodation.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed twice at the Maria Luisa with my adult daughter. Rooms were excellent with all the usual conveniences. Breakfasts were well above average, and the coffee shop Bulgarian menu was all one could ask for. The hotel is in an excellent location in Centrum, within easy walking distance of several of the main tourist sights of Sofia. It's on a tramline and 50 metres from a major taxi rank as well. The stand-out feature was the friendly service. On our last morning we had to leave at 7:00am to catch an Istanbul flight. When we were checking out, the desk girl said "We knew you were leaving early, and breakfast is included in the room price, so we made you a breakfast to take with you." She handed over two chic little bags with ham and cheese sandwiches, orange juice, and an apple! It beat the usual overpriced airport breakfast.

Room Tip: ASk for the room on the thirds floor with a balcony: great city square view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Maria Luisa? Share your experiences!