“Great Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 124 Hotels in Sofia
Bethesda, Maryland
“Great Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Stayed two nights at this property located within walking distance to the city center. Now, its a good 15 minute walk to the main shopping street, Vitushka, but closer to 20-25 minutes to Nevsky Church.

Unfortunately for me, I was staying at the hotel at the same time there was a 500+ person group staying in the hotel, in fact it was a pharm company that had taken up rooms in every high-end hotel in the city. I actually felt for the staff, as the group had some bad apples that weren't very nice to them, but they handled in stride.

My one and only complaint is directed to upper management of the hotel, who I felt did a subpar job of seeing that the needs of non-conference guests were properly antiquated as a result of the conference. Let me explain:

I have gold status with Hilton and my rate included full a full breakfast. I was told upon check-in that because of the conference, all other guests would be eating their breakfast in the Executive Lounge (hangout joint for Hilton Honors guests). I inquired if the full breakfast would be the same as in the proper restaurant, and was told it would be. The following morning I re-inquired and was given differing accounts, as nobody really knew. I asked if I could go look, and was told that was fine, and was then, rather aggressively told by a restaurant staffer (red hair, don't remember her name) that it was the same. I, without going to look, said ok and was then told that I could go look for myself, which I said wasn't necessary. She then, again, told me to look as if I was implying I didn't believe her. Now, this could be attributed to me misunderstand her tone or maybe a slight language barrier, but I felt she could have been a bit more polite, not make me feel like I was a nuisance for wanting the breakfast I had paid for. I never did look, but my gut tells me the breakfast was in fact not the same, which upsets me only because I shouldnt have had the pay the same amount as a normal breakfast.

Let me reiterate, this was my only issue of my stay. Every single other staff member couldnt have been nicer or more attentive. There are many names I wish I remembered to recognize, but Mira at the front desk and especially Krum, the attendee at the Honors Lounge were rock stars. He was AWESOME. Friendly and patient, he answered all sorts of tourist type questions I had, including where and where not to walk, talk and eat. If I come back in a year and he is not part of management, then the hotel's upper-level administration needs a serious evaluation.

All of the other staff I encountered were great as well, this cannot be overstated. From the doormen to the concierge and reception staff and the wait staff in the lounge each morning, all were exemplary. Again, only rudeness was from the one woman, she really did rub me the wrong way.

Rooms were nice, elevators quick, location a 8/10. I would certainly stay again, but next time will call before reserving to see if there is a massive conference going on!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Indian Head, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The outside of the hotel is flat and sort of strange looking but once you enter the main lobby area, it is quite nice and pretty. I liked the stairway to the left as you walked in, with the colored lights going up. Above you is a glass ceiling which lets in lot's of light.
There is a small bar also downstairs to the left. The rooms are your basic hotel rooms but roomy enough for one person and you do not have the feeling of being cramped in. It is a non-smoking hotel and you have to smoke outside. You also can not open the windows to let in fresh air. Plenty of water pressure for your shower and amenities, including coffee, tea, etc.. No problem what so ever with the internet [Wi fi]. Across the street is a McDonalds. Also, there is a shopping mall only about one block away that has restaurants, grocery store, clothing, etc.. The hotel staff was very nice and pleasant and I enjoyed my weeks stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here with my lady for a weekend getaway to Sofia. It was truly one of the most comfortable and pleasant hotels I've ever stayed in.

The room was extremely cozy--large, comfy bed, ample space. The bathroom was also quite large, with a separate shower and a bathtub. And the room was immaculate.

The service was the best and most helpful I have ever experienced in a hotel. For example, I had an important document I needed delivered to the UK, and when I asked for directions to the nearest post office, they helped me take care of this in house. Every encounter I had with the employees was most pleasant.

This Hilton also has a very nice restaurant, lounge area, and an indoor pool.

Really, the only drawback is that you have to pay to get wifi in your room. Although they offer free wifi in the lobby area, it was very, very slow. Honestly, if Trip Advisor allowed "half" ratings, I would give this place 4.5 out of 5 for the internet situation. (Just my opinion, but I think a luxury hotel should offer free wifi in every room.) However, there is just no way I can take off one "star" for that since everything about this total was absolutely wonderful.

For those visiting Sofia on business, this is the place to be. If you are there for pleasure, I think there are better placed hotels closer to city center. Nevertheless, the Hilton Sofia is next to the Palace of Culture and virtually on top of a metro station, so the rest of the city is a short walk and a short subway ride away.

All in all, this is a place I would return to without hesitation.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The location of the hotel is great, close to most major attractions in the city, we had a corner room on an upper floor and the view was amazing. The service during both check in and check out was perfect and we were set up with a reliable taxi service to the airport very early in the morning (you gotta be really careful with cabs in Bulgaria).

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Knivsta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed several nights at Hltion Sofia, this time in a park suite, enjoyed the stay very much. The room is good, enjoying very much that it's very silent in the room. Just that the location is slightly beside the main center, so it's a little bit to walk downtown.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest,

We are very happy to receive feedback about your recent stay with us. Thank you for sharing your hotel experience via TripAdvisor. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back under our roof, on your next trip to Bulgaria!

Yours sincerely,

Bucharest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I spent one night at Hilton Sofia. The rooms are very nice, large and bright ones. The service is very good and the team is really interested to have very pleased guests.The breakfast is excellent. Location is convenient, walking distance to the cultural area and shopping streets. One minus for the Executive Lounge. Very limited food (biscuits) and very limited drinks (wine and soda). I do hope this can be easily improved.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your observations about Hilton Sofia via TripAdvisor.
Your comments about the hotel facilities and services are highly appreciated.
I am sorry that the Executive Lounge experience was not up to your expectations. Many thanks for your input, which keeps us motivated to further enhance our performance and we will be happy to welcome you back under our roof, soon!

Yours sincerely,

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

To All at Hilton Sofia and whoever intends to vist,

Just confiming what has been written about this Hotel just came back from a 3 night weekend stay.

Have been about 5 times now and i can't wait to return, the Staff make this hotel a pleasure to stay in.

So a big thanks to all at this Hotel

Alan

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive observations about Hilton Sofia via TripAdvisor.
Your comments about our service level and performance are highly appreciated. It was great to hear that our team members managed to exceed your expectations with their hospitality.
Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back under our roof, on your next trip to Bulgaria!

Kind regards,

Hilton Sofia

Been to Hilton Sofia? Share your experiences!