“Good stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 124 Hotels in Sofia
Brisbane, Australia
“Good stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the Hilton Sofia as part of an Insight tour.

The hotel is well presented and clean. With regards to location it is a bit out of the main part of town and tourist attractions (short car ride or 20-30 minute walk).

The rooms are very nice, newly renovated and wonderfully spacious. My husband was very unwell while we were in Sofia so this comfortable hotel was a haven while he recovered.

The buffet breakfast offerings were good and the hotel staff were friendly and attentive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
sreiter, General Manager at Hilton Sofia, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your observations about Hilton Sofia via TripAdvisor.

It was great to learn that our team made you feel comfortable and well taken care of! I was very pleased to know that you remained highly satisfied with the hotel services and facilities, evident from your kind comment about the guestroom ambiance, breakfast experience and the friendliness of our team members.

We all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back under our roof again, soon.

Hilton Sofia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Very good hotel in Sofia. Hotel staff is very friendly and supportive. Rooms are clean and seems to have been renovated recentely. Also the restaurant has a good food, although the menu options are relatively limited.

Definetly it is an excellent choice in Sofia.

Dear guest,

I was gratified to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and remained highly satisfied with the hotel services and facilities, evident from your kind comment.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Dear Valued Traveler

We have been staying at Hilton Sofia in July and August and everything has generally been fine with two major exceptions. The first one took place in the evening after I had finished exercising and was back in my room. I decided to get into the shower right away, but then I was thinking about my husband who would be back from work so I decided not to lock the door as he might not be able to get into the room. While I was showering a guy entered the room saying “Housekeeping”. I was shocked and shouted quite loud “Not now, please come back later”. The staff from housekeeping said “OK” and then left the room. However, after only a few minutes the same guy from housekeeping entered the room once more. I shouted out even louder this time “I am sorry, but please come back later” and the guy quickly disappeared. Immediately after I had finished showering I called the front-desk to talk to the manager, but rather than allowing me to talk directly to the manager, I was asked to leave a message. After I had done so, I said to the front desk staff that I hoped to hear back from the manager shortly, which the front desk staff confirmed. When I got back to my room, another member of the hotel staff knocked my door and he said that he had been checking, but he hadn’t not seen anybody around. “Do you think I was lying”, I asked him. The guy said that he didn’t mean so and apologized. My husband and I later on went out for dinner and when we got back to the hotel, there was a note under our door notifying us that Housekeeping had attempted to return the laundry bit had not been able to do so as the door was closed. My husband called the front-desk for the laundry and only a few minutes later, the clean clothes were delivered by two staff members. One of them apologized about the colleague that had tried to enter our room, but also reminded us to use the “Do not disturb sign” on the door, indicating that we were to blame. The next day the General Manager called me in the morning and asked if we could meet to talk about the incident. On my was out, I met with the GM and we talked for a while and he apologized about the incident and said he would make sure it would never ever happen again. Around 9pm the same day I received a short apologizing letter from the GM. When I met the GM the next day he asked me if I had received the letter, which I confirmed. In addition I also mentioned to him that I had talked to a friend of mine that also is working in the hospitality industry and she had recommended my to share the experience on TripAdvisor. In the afternoon when I got back to my room, the hotel had provided half a bottle of red wine and a small cake as some sort of compensation. After having stayed at Hilton for almost a month, this minor compensation, which was only was provided after mentioning to share the experience at TripAdvisor, felt almost like an insult and I asked the staff to come to my room to remove the complementary items. Later the same day, I received another letter, this time from the Director of Operations, in which he once more apologized once more and also asked what he could do to make up for the less than stellar experience. I would have expected that the hotel staff of a five star hotel would have the imagination and insight to come up with something that could delight the customer but apparently not so at Hilton Sofia. On our last evening at Hilton we asked for a bucket with ice and two champagne glasses around 6pm to enjoy some champagne before we went for dinner. However, we left at 7.30pm, not bothering to ask once more to check how long it would take before the ice bucket the glasses arrived, we had not seen anything and the situation remained unchanged also when we got back from dinner around 10.30pm. When we called the front desk to ask for the ice and glasses, the front desk simply responded that they had informed their colleagues a long time ago, clearly indicating that this was no longer her problem. After staying for a month at Hilton Sofia, I have to admit that I have never ever felt as unappreciated as a customer as in this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for bringing to our attention your Hilton Sofia experience.

I would like to apologize once again for the shortcomings, which you have encountered under our roof.

Please rest assured that we do evaluate the comments of all our guests and use their feedback as an engine to improve our performance.

I will be happy to welcome you again at Hilton Sofia, if you decide to stay with us once gain!

Best wishes,

calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Very good business class hotel with professional and friendly staff. Rooms are average size and clean and everything works as you would expect/need. The hotel is well located with lots of space and parkland nearby to stretch your legs. The fitness center is small but clean and in good condition

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear guest,

We were extremely delighted to receive your kind comments about Hilton Sofia. Thank you for taking time to share them via TripAdvisor. I just want to let you know that we have a brand new sauna in our Health Club. Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back under our roof, on your next trip to Bulgaria!

Ynys Môn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed here for one night on the way home from Skopje and was offered an upgrade to the business rooms on the 8th/9th floor for a reasonable €20 - this included breakfast and, of course, the use of the business lounge (and it's free snacks and beverages!)

It's a bit more of a hike into town than the Grand Sofia, but it's really not far!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you very much for sharing your observations about Hilton Sofia via TripAdvisor.

I was gratified to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and remained highly satisfied with the hotel services and facilities.

Ramat HaSharon, Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Great hotel with great location.
Not in the middle of the historic center of Sofia, but it is a 10-15 min walk (to Vitosha Blvd.)
Comparing to western properties, in is somewhere between 4 and 5 stars.
Renovated rooms are really nice and cosy, and you get separate bath and shower.
Service is superb, staff is very friendly and helpful.
Overall value is great.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. Choose a high floor corner room, you will get a nice view.
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you very much for sharing your positive observations about Hilton Sofia via TripAdvisor.

I was gratified to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and remained highly satisfied with the hotel services, especially highlighting the friendliness of our team members. It was great to find out that you appreciated the view over Sofia and the 2000 m high Vitosha Mountain.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We have just stayed here for 3 nights and were really impressed by the staff and hotel room. The room was everything you would expect: clean, comfortable, decent toiletries, quiet, good size. The staff were excellent - really helpful and ready to assist.

When we arrived I was a bit concerned about the location as it seemed to be a little way from the centre. But we soon enjoyed walking across Bulgaria Square as it is a combination of park, square, cafes and bars with lots of people enjoying time there. As an aside I would recommend stopping off at Cafe Momento on the outside of the National Palace of Culture for a pre or post dinner drink.

We didn't go for the breakfast option when we booked and can only say that it is very expensive if you decide to take it when you arrive (we didn't).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

I was gratified to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and remained very satisfied with the hotel services and facilities, highlighting the guestroom ambiance and the helpfulness of our team members. Last, but not least - thank you very much for sharing tips about the interesting surroundings of our hotel.

Hilton Sofia

Been to Hilton Sofia? Share your experiences!