“Good value” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Totleben Blvd, Sofia 1606, Bulgaria   |
Ranked #77 of 124 Hotels in Sofia
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

if you prebook this is very good value, a bit old fashioned now but i bet in its day it was closer to a 5* , there is a club right a the top and its in the perfect location for city centre , open 24/7 and the rooms are nice

Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

This place is the pits, really, from the outside it looks like a demolition site, its just horrible... As for the breakfast.... hmmm, even thinking about makes me nauseous... would be great if you are into recycled pork products and stale bread, with black coffee.......

Next time..... Hilton...

Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

The Rodina Hotel serviced our group of 40 Dutch business people very well. We stayed at the Rodina fo four nights.

Although the Rodina is one of the biggest in Sofia all staff were very friendly and always prepared to help out. Especially the marketing department came up with some good suggestions to eat and to drink.

Rooms and bathrooms were clean, beds were fine. Most rooms are tractated by a magnificent view over Sofia.

Sports facilities and swimming pool easily met our requirements.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

I'm not sure if all of these reviews are geniune, some of them seem absolutely ridiculous- we had no problems with my girlfriend during the weekend we spend in the Rodina hotel. The hotel is centrally located, and has the best view out of any other place in Eastern Europe.
Breakfast is OK, the hotel is clean, the staff is polite, there are rooms which are brand new (we stayed on the 10th floor), and we got a great price through booking.com (60 euros for the double room, including breakfast and internet!!)
Swimming pool is excellent, but we did not use the fitness center.

Obviously if you come in expecting the Kempinski/Sherraton/Hilton hotel you will be dissapointed- go there instead and pay triple!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Naoussa, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

Where to start from?? We stayed there for 5 days and never had our sheets and towels changed. Not even after we asked from the reception to arrange it.
The waiters were really rude; tips didn't make any difference. I myself have been working in hotels for the last 8 years and could not believe such a low quality of service was actually real.
Our arrangement included breakfast... Staying there, meant starting our day really hungry, as the only thing that seamed to be fresh, was the brewed coffee.

...Strip-bar at the top floor.....No comment...

Tip: try to get a map, since most shops you will probably need are around within walking distance. If you decide to catch a taxi, ask one or two first about the cost and then take the third one. We paid something less than 60 lev for a ride that -as we were informed later- costs around 12-13 lev...

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
Platres
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

How the hotel is 4 star, is unbelievable, as you walk in you faced with the dirtiest biggest stained carpet I've ever seen. We had no hot water, in our room or my mothers room, when I told them at the reception they said they would send somebody up, I don't think they meant that night, after going down to the reception to ask when the person was coming to see about the water, after waiting a long time, I was told quite rudley, that they had hot water and that there was no problem, so I was being called a liar in a round about way. They finally gave us another room, this is after waiting a couple of hours.. We slept as best we could, we ate what we could and left as soon as we could. It was my worst experience ever in staying in a hotel. Dirty, smelly and extermley rude receptionest. Never again.

• Stayed October 2009
Clearwater, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

Where do I start? See alternative suggestions below...

AIR QUALITY: The smoking hotel was booked by another smoker colleague, so i got stuck in it. If I had to compare the 4 stars in Sofia, Bulgaria with the 4 stars in Bucharest, Romania, I'd definitely choose the latter one.

PROs: your stuff will smell like cigarettes, no shortage in personal belongings after room service.

CONS: no safe, small single beds, no operating window, fan, A/C or heating for that matter. If you open the door to air out from the stinky smell of the smoking neighbours, the smell of the hotel's hallway hits you like a trainwreck.

TEMPERATURE (air & water): Cold in the room. When I mentioned to the receptionist that I don't have hot water or even warmish to wash myself, she wanted to send somebody in the room (it was already late at night). The second night I complaind again and finally, somebody twisted a fosset to make warm water come down the pipe.The bathtub was not leaking, but running water from the underneith pipe and there was no emergency in repairing. My colleague mentioned that his room had the same issues. Years ago, I heard, a ceiling collapsed, probably for the same reason.

OTHERS: Small TV, few channels. Receptionist also sent me to the nearby building to mail my postcards when another receptionist stepped in and gave them to an employee to take them there. It's all about the attitude.

INTERNET: The reception provides at request an ethernet cable. You'll grow old until you do something on the internet. it's a patience test. Alternative choices: main lobby for about 2 leva (1 Euro) for 30 min.

BREAKFAST: Breakfast was mooshy, too salty or too burned. Had to eat something so I stucked with tea and sandwiches. Good capuccino, though (you need to ask for it at the bar).

PARKING: Needs to be paid in advance or upon request at check-out.

SUGGESTIONS: Go to the nearby Grand Hotel or Sofitel or Hilton, the services and environment will finally worth their paid value. Take a cab from the closest intersection. It's cheaper than taking it from the hotel. Beware that there are taxis that charge almost quadruple than others. Check those with mileage listed on the side of the car (e.g. 0.59 leva/km instead of 4.59 leva/km). A trip to Grand Hotel from the closest intersection should not cost more than 4-5 leva (about 2 Euro) not counting the tip.

I WILL NEVER RETURN TO RODINA

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to Rodina Hotel? Share your experiences!