“Great hotel in Sofia” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 124 Hotels in Sofia
Columbia, SC
“Great hotel in Sofia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

We stayed here on our second trip to Sofia, Bulgaria. This is a very nice, comfortable hotel. We had great service, the staff was extremely courteous and very helpful with local information. If you are looking for an upscale deluxe hotel in Bulgaria, this is it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

May I thank you, for sharing your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more.

Gerasimos Perdikaris,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

This is an unexpectedly grand hotel in perfect location which has literally nothing to envy from the similar palatial style famous hotels of Europe. Imposing socialistic 50s architecture, opulent interiors, an amazing bed (one of the best i have tried!!), impeccable service. I advise you to do the guided tour to Philipoupolis, arranged efficiently by the super polite and helpful concierge. Room service was fast and food was consistently of high quality. Not to miss the 4th century chapel in the back yard!!! My only advise for improvement would be the quality of breads and viennoiseries in the breakfast...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

May I thank you for your time taken to write such a positive comments regarding your stay with us and to extend the greetings from all here at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and our team members was helpful and exceeded your expectations.

We are looking forward to welcome you again, hopefully in the very near future.

Gerasimos Perdicaris
Velburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I have stayed in the Sheraton in Sofia many times over the past few years and have never been disappointed. Being a Platinum member with SPG has many rewards which the staff at this hotel takes very seriously. Having stayed at all of the major hotels in Sofia, this is by far the best and I will continue to stay here every time I am in town. Prior to this trip I stayed at this hotel in July 2010 and right at check-in they remembered me and chatted for a few minutes.

The Pro:
The staff is very friendly and always willing to help with any issue or task.
Room service is very good.
Convenient location

The 50/50....is the location. Great to be right downtown but a little difficult when driving around the hotel or locating parking. The hotel has it's own parking but depending on who is staying at the hotel...there may not be parking available. I've stayed in the hotel when two foreign presidents were staying at the same time which resulted in no parking at the hotel and metal detectors when checking in.

Cons:
None. I love the hotel!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments about the services and facilities at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

I was very pleased to read that the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel.

Your positive comments will stimulate our staff to maintain and even elevate the excellent quality of service and I thank you once more.

Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

The Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan is definitely the best hotel in Sofia! Please see below why I think so:
- It has a very attentive staff.
- I enjoyed a warm welcome upon arrival.
- Room was very spacious, with luxury appointments and modern facilities, such as a printer/scanner right in the room itself, as well as in-room coffee and tea maker, flat screen TVs, separate shower and bath tub, highest quality linens, etc…
- Wi-Fi and LAN-based internet connection was excellent quality
- Room service was excellent…fast, with professional, attractive and well-trained staff
- Location of hotel could not be more central; building exterior façade is gorgeous, and the shops adjoining the hotel are all top-class…
- The hotel staff remembered my preferences from my prior visit, such as the fact that I like a copy of the Herald Tribune each day!
- Hotel has had a massive and very positive physical refurbishment over the last few years, especially the lobby bar and main restaurant – both of which are very luxurious and attractive…befitting of a Starwood “Luxury Collection” hotel.
- Concierge staff is also very professional and efficient; they organize car service quickly and professionally, as well as run errands as needed…
- Food and service in the main restaurant, as well as the lobby bar, is “top quality”.
- Daily breakfast in the lobby bar is bountiful, delicious and beautifully laid out…
- The Hotel is like a “Grande Dame” of the City!

Davor Gjivoje, Jr.
CEO, Networld, Inc.

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, responded to this review, February 26, 2011
Dear Mr. Gjivoje,

I would like to sincerely thank you for the time taken to fill out your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

Your warm comments are more than impressive and I would like to assure you that we will continue to do our best in order to fulfill and indeed exceed your expectations.

One more time thanks for you high appreciation and rest assured that
we look forward to welcome you again, hopefully in the very near future.

Gerasimos Perdikaris
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

Dear Sir/Madam

During the last 90 days I enjoyed of staying in the Sofia Sheraton hotel, due to the warm , professional, courteous treatment and overall excellence service I have had from the staff workers of the reception, dining room and .also to the bellboy.
Thus this is the time to thank to all the staff workers for the excellence service, I want to thank especially to Neely, Petya, Elena Genadieva and Mirela. I would also want to thanks to Reny, Auvena, Biser, Georgi, Miro, Kauyan, Ivan, Delyn....(Sorry if I forgot someone)
Thank you all and keep doing excellence job.

Avi

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
Dear Mr. Avi,

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations. . Thank you for finding the time to also compliment our associates and be sure that we will pass your comments to them.

We are looking forward to welcome you again, hopefully in the very near future.

Gerasimos Perdicaris
N. Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

Excellent service, nice (albeit small) room and well equipped bathroom, good breakfast, and yet, notwithstanding all the glitz and grandour as you pull up, it had a sense of being geared solely to the business traveler and not to the tourist. Lots of people milling in and around reception. Good location, though.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

I was very pleased to read that the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

Kiev, Ukraine
1,212 helpful votes 1,212 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Well, this property for sure goes down the hill...

Yes, the location is perfect, the hotel (from the outside) is a real Grand Hotel.

Being a Platinum SPG member I've been upgraded to a small suite (not the big one I got the last two years). The suite is okay, even the sofa is a bit uncomfortable since it can be converted to a bed. The bad part is the bathroom, with an unhygienic shower-curtain and a terrible shower head (not enough water).

But the worst part is the "Lounge". The breakfast comprised of some cold and hard sweet- and cold breads, a bit of fruit and some jam (butter only after I complained). The day-snacks have been some slices of cake and the evening snacks chips and some canapees. Maybe the poorest Lounge selection I've ever seen at Sheraton.

Sorry, but this hotel isn't "Luxury Collection" anymore, maybe a standard Sheraton...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you, for sharing with us your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

I was very sorry to learn about the problems you encountered during your stay with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies about our shortcomings and our failure to meet your expectations.

Rest assured, that here at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan we strive every day to meet and indeed exceed every guest’s expectation as this is a big part of our culture.

Once more I would like to apologize profusely and I would really appreciate it if during your next visit to Sofia you gave us the opportunity to be at your service.

Sincerely yours,

Gerasimos Perdikaris

Been to Sofia Hotel Balkan? Share your experiences!