“Great service, deluxe rooms good, basic rooms unacceptable” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Sofia Hotel Balkan to your Saves list
Ranked #28 of 122 Hotels in Sofia
London, United Kingdom
“Great service, deluxe rooms good, basic rooms unacceptable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I spent all weeknights for 4 months in the Sheraton, and had an overly positive experience. Service was great, the hotel staff is amazing and you actually feel at home in the hotel. Great job! Also, the location is unbeatable.

In regards with rooms, the deluxe rooms were very nice, although their design and furniture is dated and needs updating - it's still totally fine though and the bed is very good. What, on the other hand, is NOT fine is the basic rooms quality: this is in one word unacceptable. I spent only a couple of nights in one and I would never go back to one of those. Especially the bed was a tragedy, would have been a tragedy even for a 3* hotel, I just could not believe how bad it was.

On the rest of the package, food quality was seriously inconsistent, ranging from very good to downright mediocre. Business lounge was subpar, but still a fine place to work. Their gym needs to be updated urgently: it's tiny, has very few things and a few were even out of order.

In any case, it's a good choice for business in Sofia, but make sure you don't stay in the basic rooms!

Room Tip: Don't take the basic room type.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

May I thank you, for sharing your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

I am very sorry that we have failed to fulfill your expectation about our basic rooms.In regards to your comments, I would like to kindly inform you that I have discussed your remarks in details with the concerned department.It is part of our plans in the near future to upgrade the facilities of our fitness center too.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more.

Athanasios Pantazis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Booked smart room located on 5thfloor. Size and grandeur hard to beat. However everything was tired. Most disappointing was service and consistency of house keeping - forgetting replenishment of shower gels, water, lightbulbs out etc.
The exec club was very small and poor selection of food, often cold and never replenished. The spa was dirty with little flies in the facilities. And whilst staying here they ran out of ordinary breakfast tea. For 2 days! It never dawned on anyone to maybe buy some. Finally there was a complete lack of concierge which resulted in us missing the chance to go up vitosha mountain due to the cable car only working at weekends, even though we asked about going and were there for a weekend. Impressive building, good location. That's about it.

Dear Valued Guest,

I was very sorry to learn about the problems you encountered during your stay with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies about our shortcomings and our failure to meet your expectations.

Your remarks are helping us to improve the quality of our services and our performance in general.

Although we just finished our summer staff trainings, we already considering to re-start them, after your comments.

I hope that the latest experience did not mar your opinion about our Hotel and we are looking forward to welcome you again at Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel and to experience the real level of our service.

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Everything is amazing, room dining, service of a night server, rooms, location, BUT the night agents at reception are just RUDE, they don't understand you, they don't listen to you, they argue....why??? It's just not nice when you have first impression. Sorry for that

• Stayed August 2013
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to share your thoughts concerning your recent stay with us.

I was very sorry to learn about the negative experience with our service that you had during your stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies about the shortcoming and unresponsiveness of our staff.Let me assure you that I take very serious note of your comments and that a detailed corrective action is already been implemented.

Finally together with my deepest apologies I would like you to meet you personally when you decide to return to Sofia. Rest assured that next time we will make it up for you.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

It has a good location.. right in the centre of sofia, the rooms seems nice and historical but they dont clean it.. just made the bed!!!

Terrible service when you asked them.. not even a smiley faces!

Even though, room service food was nice .. but there was a lake of choices in the lobby breakfast !

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments through Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us.

I take very serious note of your comments and let me assure you that a detailed corrective action is already been implemented. I am sad to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and really depressed about your comment for smiling faces, something that we will continue to put efforts on.

Indeed the loyalty program that the hotel offers through Starwood is one of the most flexible, user-friendly and customer oriented that one can find in any similar loyalty guest program.

Finally together with my deepest apologies I would like you to consider giving us another chance when you decide to return to Sofia. Rest assured that next time we will make it up for you.

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed for business and weekend. Was nice to stay in this historic building. the lobby looks great and so the conferences halls, satires and corridors are very wide (on accounts of the rooms?). The room I got was first floor facing front (Parking lot) and I was told it is renovated. It was nice a bit small and decorated nicely with warm colors, bed was good. bath room is small and so the cabins. I was surprised to see that there is no coffee point with kettle, there is no iron and there is no swimming pool. The gym was small and a bit outdated. The breakfast was OK and the staff in the restaurants was nice. The big advantage was the location. There is a gent club in the building (get ready to be approached if you are single) and a casino next to it.
All in all, was nice except for the iron and the gym/pool.

Room Tip: Check for renovated room with high floor (if there is one)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Your remarks help us to improve the quality of our services and it is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more.

I hope that the latest experience did not mar your opinion about our Hotel and we are looking forward to welcome you again at Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

san diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is hotel is beautiful; however, during my stay there I was very disappointed with the staff and service. Also - the room was warm due to AC system down. I asked staff at front about the AC and was told "they're working on it". The bed was hard as a rock; I was expecting a softer mattress. The bathtub had problems with drainage- this was due to the old plumbing system. The positive side: this hotel is in central Sofia- and theres a lot to see and do around the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to share your thoughts and your recent experience during your stay with us.

I am very sorry that we have failed to fulfill your expectation about service and facilities in our hotel. In regards to your comments, I would like to kindly inform you that I have discussed your remarks in details with the concerned departments and let me assure you that corrective action has been taken accordingly. It is part of our plans in the near future to upgrade the facilities of our fitness center.

Once again thank you very much for your valuable input and please accept my sincerest apologies for all inconveniences experienced during your stay with us.

Lewes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This really is a landmark building right in the centre of Sofia. However, it suffered from the drawbacks that many international chain hotels like Sheraton have. The minibar was extortionate, the room was small, and the place lacked character and charm. It is a really magnificent building and the staff are helpful and courteous, but my advice would be to visit for a cup of tea and stay somewhere else

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments about the services and facilities at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I was very pleased to read that the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

Through responses like yours we can continue to improve our standards and I would like to thank you once more. In regards with all the issues mentioned in your review,especially about our mini bar prices and decoration, I want to kindly inform you that recovery action has been consequently taken and all issues have been rectified.

Finally, I would like to thank you once more for your very valuable feed back and I hope that you will come back and give us the chance to make it up to you.

Athanasios Pantazis

Been to Sofia Hotel Balkan? Share your experiences!