“A place you do not forget.” 4 of 5 stars

Sofia Hotel Balkan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Sveta Nedelya Square, Sofia 1000, Bulgaria   |
Ranked #25 of 124 Hotels in Sofia
Luxembourg
“A place you do not forget.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The first time I visited (Sheraton) Balkan was in...1966. It has been of course renewed since then, but the actual management is very clever to preserve the atmosphere of this hotel, which is unique in Sofia. Very central location, very friendly and helpful staff. Very large and confortable rooms (in the upper category, 111 for ex). We come every two years to Sofia and no doubt that, next time it will be Sheraton Balkan again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to share with you that I am really happy to see you have enjoyed your stay with us and the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

Your positive comments will stimulate our staff to maintain and even evaluate the excellent quality of service and I thank you once more.

Athanasios Pantazis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Croydon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have stayed here before but it’s still in my book for location, grandeur and a favourite for the metro and shopping. We stayed in the new wing which is quiet but rooms are a little on the small side.

Breakfast is still very good. My wife visited the spa and said the massage was the best she’s had in a long time.

The chambermaid service was a little disappointing as we asked if we could have our room made up as we were expecting guests to visit our room but chambermaid did not oblige in time and we had to make bed ourselves. Overall, it may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but as a frequent visitor to this vibrant city I think it’s worth it.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments about the services and facilities at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan, especially the chambermaid services.

We were pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay, beside the chambermaid incident with us at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Room was clean and location is great however service wasn't anything special and they asked €20 for breakfast which is ridiculous when you know the most expensive one would cost you half of that in Sofia. Also parking was expensive; should be free for SPG members...

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

In references with the comments about your breakfast and parking experience for which I need to inform you that is a company not related with our hotel,I would like to assure you that I have taken notes and addressed the mentioned issues to the all concerned departments for immediate reaction and would make sure the special attention is paid.

Thank you for the time taken to share your thoughts concerning your experience at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan through Trip Advisor.

St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

First of all - very friendly and helpful stuff - they are not only always ready to fulfill your requests, but care enough to provide useful advices about activities in Sofia and close regions, actually they are best stuff I meet in European hotels so far. Location is great too – exact center of the city, yet within 10-15 minutes drive from Sofia airport. Breakfasts are at least fine. Rooms quite big (we have stayed in the suite) and comfortable. Yes, building may look a bit outdated inside, not a top-notch high-tech/modern one, but it certainly possess warm and fuzzy luxury of the classic era. Highly recommended. I’ll be glad to visit this place once again sometimes.

Room Tip: Better get an inner yard room - front ones a little bit noisy because of intense tram traffic in fro...
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing your positive thoughts and feelings regarding your memorable stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

I was very pleased to read that the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more. Let me assure you that your sincere and kind comments have already been shared between all our team members.

Veroia, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Sheraton building in Sofia may be impressing, the chandeliers and the carpets in the main entrance may be huge and (look) luxurious, but the place is nothing more than a 4 stars hotel. Our room (the standard one) was just ok, cleaning was so & so, bathroom was nothing really special. This is an old and tired place and nobody does anything to hide this fact.
Breakfast was really poor both in variety and in quality. I saw that the people who came for breakfast after 9 found just empty trays and the waiters did nothing for it....I had to ask for green tea (as there where only black tea lipton tea-bags available), to find out that the water (offered for the tea) was not even warm... You can't make tea with warm water... I would also except Ronnefeldt teas from a Sheraton instead of Lipton...
One might think that one shouldn't expect a lot from a Sheraton situated in Sofia (this is not my way of thinking though), but -in any case- I have stayed in Kempinski Zografski in Sofia and it was a real 5 * hotel.
So, if you just want to say that you stayed in a Sheraton, go for it. But if you really want to stay in a Sheraton... try somewhere else...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments through Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us.

I take very serious note of your comments and let me assure you that a detailed corrective action is already been implemented. I am sad to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and that you have found us overpriced in comparison to what we offer.

In references with the comments about your breakfast experience, I would like to assure you that I have taken notes and addressed the mentioned issues to the concerned department for immediate reaction and would make sure the special attention is paid.

Finally together with my deepest apologies I would like you to consider giving us another chance. I do hope to get in touch with you and would be privileged if you stay with us again and give us the chance to provide you the expected quality and service. Rest assured that next time we will make it up for you.

Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The best about this hotel is its location. Right at the start of Vitosha street, and within walking distance of all attractions in the center and subway station.

The hotel itself looks a bit dated, reminding of the grand style of famous hotels in other world cities. It is not run down or anything, it's kept clean, but it's just the style that is a bit dated.

In general, staff is attentive and helpful, and the stay was pleasant. Food prices though are completely out of touch with Sofia reality, even in comparison with other similar hotels in the city. But you are so close to restaurants and bars that there is really no reason to eat in.

Room Tip: "Smart Rooms" provide a lot of additional space, like a mini suite. Bathroom is small.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you, for sharing with us your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan. Your valuable comments will contribute to our team’s ongoing efforts to monitor and improve our service standards and help us in our continuous search for excellence.

I sincerely hope that during your next stay in Sofia you will choose to stay again with us.

Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

we stayed at teo nights at sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan between 15-22 march 2013.You could feel the touch of luxury Collection chain.Everything was good enough.The hospitolity of executive lounge was great.I strongly recommend this hotel.

Dear Valued Guest,

We really look forward to welcome you again in our Hotel.

Athanasios Pantazis

Been to Sofia Hotel Balkan? Share your experiences!