“Excellent stay- very central hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Sveta Nedelya Square, Sofia 1000, Bulgaria   |
Ranked #26 of 122 hotels in Sofia
Stuttgart, Germany
“Excellent stay- very central hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a week doing business in this hotel and it was great, my room and bathroom were beautiful, the food in the restaurant was very good although not local but no problem because at walking distance there are a lot of restaurants and shops. My bed was extremely comfortable, just what i need after a long day of work. The only things that could be better, in my opinion, is to have free wifi for all devices and coffee in the room.

• Stayed February 2013
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Let me thank you for your time taken to write such a positive comments regarding your stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed the services at our hotel and that our employees have made your stay an enjoyable one.

Your positive comments will stimulate our staff to maintain and even exceed the excellent quality of service.

I would like to assure you that corrective action has already been taken regarding your remarks about the Wi-Fi .Here at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan we strive daily to meet and exceed all guests’ expectations.

Finally, I would like to thank you once more for your very valuable feed back and I hope that you will come back and give us the chance to make it up to you.

396 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed here for a week on business, looked nice on website but reality isn't as good, rooms not very comfortable or spacious and seemed to smell of smoke constantly, breakfast was reasonable with nice coffee, reception could be spruced up and reception staff more friendly/helpful. Seemed like a hotel which was still stuck in the Cold War era and badly needed to be modernised/refurbished. Didn't do anything to embellish the Sheraton brand for me (usually their more modern hotels are fine/nice).

Room Tip: Not sure if there are any very nice rooms, if i was going back to Sofia I would stay in some of the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I am very sorry that we have failed to fulfill your expectation about service and facilities in our hotel. In regards to your comments, I would like to kindly inform you that I have discussed your remarks in details with the concerned departments and let me assure you that corrective action has been taken accordingly.

Rest assured, that here at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan we strive every day to meet and indeed exceed every guest’s expectation as this is a big part of our culture.

Finally together with my deepest apologies I would like you to consider giving us another chance when you decide to return to Sofia. Rest assured that next time we will make it up for you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hotel has a traditional feel but is not dated. People are friendly. Food is excellent and the surroundings are nice to be in. It's hard to beat listening live to a harp being played while eating breakfast. Rooms are a little noisy but very comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We were pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

I was very sorry to learn about the problems you encountered during your stay with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies about our shortcomings and our failure to meet your expectations.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more.

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My stay has been fantastic. The hotel is centrally located and surrounded by various shopping districts. The staff has been very welcoming, especially Miroslav from the front desk. Room service last night took less than 15 minutes and the linguine carbonara was well prepared. The hotel is immaculate from the lobby to my room. I recommend the Sheraton to anyone traveling to Sofia.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to sincerely thank you for the time taken to fill out your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

Your warm comments are more than impressive and I would like to assure you that we will continue to do our best in order to fulfill and indeed exceed your expectations.

One more time thanks for you high appreciation and rest assured that we look forward to welcome you again, hopefully in the very near future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed here for two nights during a family vacation. Hotel was ok and the rooms were small. Staff was nice. Because I am a Platinum Starwood member, I expected to get better service with a much better upgrade than I got. Location is great as it is in the heart of downtown Sofia. Overall, not bad!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our services and facilities during your recent stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan through the Trip Advisor’s website.

Indeed the loyalty program that the hotel offers through Starwood is one of the most flexible, user-friendly and customer oriented that one can find in any similar loyalty guest program.

I sincerely hope that during your next stay in Sofia you will choose to stay again with us.

Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed in Sheraton for two overnights due to business events we had in the hotel. The location is in the heart of the city which gives it a nice feel,having many of Sofia's sites nearby. My room was a single one, on the first floor. It was a nice one,cozy furniture,working desk,and very high ceiling which gave the room a feeling of a bigger space then actual... The window actually faced a building on the back,but perhaps you can get a better view on the higher floors if asked. The prices of mini bar and cafeteria, as other people have mentioned here, are indeed horrible. There are nice conference rooms of different sizes on ground floor and first floor, so the hotel is good for events of different types. Breakfast area is really very small.

• Stayed January 2013
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to share your thoughts concerning your recent stay with us.

Through responses like yours we can continue to improve our standards and I would like to thank you once more. In regards with all the issues mentioned in your review I want to kindly inform you that recovery action has been taken and all issues have been rectified.

I also need to mention that the prices of mini bar are already changed.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed in Bulgaria 2 weeks in August/September 2012 and this was easily the worst hotel experience I had all year, let alone Bulgaria.

I suppose if crystal chandeliers, marble floors, being fawned over by receptionists and shown into a lift is the sort of thing you need from a hotel then this may suit you and your ego perfectly.

But if Starwood are going to charge you more than twice what you'd spend pretty much anywhere else in Sofia it would be nice if the service they could offer would match the decor, let alone the price and as a customer you weren't treated like whatever you'd spent up to that point, it still wasn't quite enough.

The room I stayed in had a nice view out onto the square, it's true but that was just as well given turning your gaze to the interior would have seen you staring in at the sort of chintzy, stuffy interior design that looked out-of-date for this level of hotel more than a decade ago.

But if I thought the most disappointing thing about the stay was going to be the ersatz brass fittings and foreboding carpets I was mistaken because the thing that really grated was the relentless grinding push to get as much money out of each customer as possible, Starwood always feel compelled to pursue.

To begin with, the mini-bar prices were a joke. Admittedly, I don't normally indulge the mini-bar, but at about 4-5 times the price on the street I certainly wasn't going to start here; next - and this was the most outrageous bit of fleecing I think I've ever encountered in a hotel - internet access in your room was 5 Euros AN HOUR! (who still charges for wi-fi access, let alone at that egregious rate?). Finally, attempting to get from there to the airport, I was offered the 'opportunity' to take their branded station wagon for a price twice what I actually paid when I simply called a cab, i.e. not having gone far enough by ripping me off for the cab journey I was also paying them a premium to drive around Sofia advertising their hotel.

To compound the overall grim experience even my attempts to leave were seemingly thwarted when a request to print out my plane ticket at reception was denied. I was told to come back and use the 'business centre' the next morning though since it didn't open early enough this would have been impossible without missing my flight: thank goodness I didn't need it, it transpired.

Oh: and I guess you can also imagine how splendid I felt when, coming back to my room reasonably late on the only night I had the misfortune to stay there, I'm greeted by a dolled up hostess in the lobby encouraging me with come hither eyes, into the Casino. Classy. (I hithered to my room instead).

Starwood, I congratulate you: I actually spent nothing because it was all on my loyalty points but it still felt like the worst value for money I've ever suffered at a hotel; I actually came away feeling slightly soiled. Awful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
GMSheratonSofia, Manager at Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send us a very extensive review, sharing impressions about your stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

We have paid serious attention to your detailed comments depicting a most unpleasant experience and feel awfully uncomfortable with the fact that we have disappointed you in so many ways.

You are right and I really regret that I missed the chance to meet you and personally take care of your stay but I really would like to talk to you and would very much appreciate if you send me your telephone number so that I could discuss with you all these very disturbing issues.
My email address is: vesselka.shivarova@luxurycollection.com

I do hope to get in touch with you and would be privileged if you stay with us again and give us the chance to provide you the expected quality and service.

Vesselka Shivarova
Room Division Manager

Been to Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan? Share your experiences!