“Mixed Feelings...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 97 Specialty Lodging in Sofia
Woking, United Kingdom
“Mixed Feelings...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Situated in central Sofia, a short walk to most of the major attractions it's a shame that the place is so hard to find - I took a cab from the airport and even the taxi driver didn't know where it was! When I booked I had informed the staff at the hostel that I would be arriving at 12 midday, however when I arrived there was nobody at the building - I had to call somebody on the phone and wait over an hour for them to arrive. I was then informed that I was unable to make payment by credit/debit card either so had to pay in cash for the duration of my 6 night stay. Apart from these negative first impressions the staff were friendly and helpful and the customer service was very good.

The 'hostel' is actually two apartments laid out on separate levels of what appears to be an old, pre-war tenement building. From outside it really doesn't look very attractive but inside the rooms are all well appointed (especially the bathrooms which appear modern and newly decorated). The decor in some of the bedrooms has clearly seen better days however and the kitchenette in the apartment where I stayed was relatively small with no dining area, unlike the larger apartment upstairs. One room in each of the apartments provided hostel accommodation (6-8 bed-spaces with lockers) and the private rooms each had wardrobes and TV sets. The facilities were all very clean and tidy and complimentary tea and coffee was provided to all guests. A washing machine was also available for items of personal laundry.

Unfortunately on the downside the water pipes creaked from first thing in the morning to last thing at night and the banging of doors kept lighter sleepers like myself awake (as well as getting them up)...Views from the windows are unremarkable to say the least and my bed had a really soft mattress, which took some getting used to. As this is my first time in Bulgaria I'm not sure if this option represented particularly good value but at 18 euro a night for self-catering I found it reasonably acceptable, though nothing special. The place was far from busy for the time of year as well...Perhaps the smartest money already found itself a better option? I myself may be inclined to stay again as I felt it was a better than average option but I would probably shop around first...

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper floor - It has a living room/dining area
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Poznan, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We slept here for just one night. The advantages of this hostel are: low price, clean rooms and bathrooms, a nice kitchen and a convenient location. Definitely could use a better range of Internet, the possibility of credit card and less keys;). Despite this, stay here remember very nice. Sofia is a city that is worth seeing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Danish Hostel? Share your experiences!