“Convenient for bus and train travellers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Budapest Hotel

You added Budapest Hotel to your Saves list
Budapest Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 A Budapest Street | ul. Kozlodui 4, Sofia 1202, Bulgaria   |
Ranked #11 of 124 Hotels in Sofia
Wellington, New Zealand
“Convenient for bus and train travellers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This hotel is close (walking distance, about 10 minutes) to central bus station and central train station. However, its on a very ordinary street, not particularly close to restaurants or city sights, though there are simple cafes nearby.
My twin room was very pleasant, with a nice big shower (and good bathroom generally).
Reasonable desk provided, and the free wifi in the room worked very well.
My only problem with my room was that the fridge didn’t keep minibar beverages cold at all (although I assume it was turned on as it was certainly making noise!).

Room Tip: I was on the sixth floor which had a good city view at twilight.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

10 lv from the airport (about 15 mins). Nice modern hotel with decent facilities. 1lv per night city tax. 15 min walk from centre of city. train line close by which can be slightly loud at night, but possibly depends on which room you are in, certainly nothing major.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I was there for a night in July 2012. I could check in early - the room was ready. Staff speak English. They smile and are genuinely friendly. They greet you as you walk by! Not used to this after in other European cities. Breakfast was varied and good. Beds are comfortable. The pillows were great. I just can't say enough about the pleasure that it was to stay there. My room overlooked the main road but soundproofing was perfect. I would not want to stay anywhere else if I return to Sophia.

Room Tip: Get your own drinking water. Better not to risk drinking the tap water.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I have accomodated a business client in thish hotel and my impressions are all positive. On the first place the marketing staff member Elvira attended carefully each request prior the arrival, furthermore the reception, guest relations and restaurant staff have been extremely polite, helpful and friendly. Wifi is fast and minibar - reasonable. The location is the only thing to consider if you are without car, otherwise I highly recommend Budapest for business travellers.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Kavala, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I would recommend this hotel. It was clean, fairly central, approx a 10 - 15 minute walk to the main centre. The hotel staff were very helpful and there was free parking and wifi.

The rooms were very comfortable and clean and the breakfast was excellent with a good variety.

I would definately stay here again and for the price and service, you can't beat it.

Room Tip: It is worth paying slightly more to have a deluxe room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My wife and I chose this hotel on the fly while on the eve of our honeymoon to stay in for the final two nights I was with her. I journey to Bulgaria at least once a year to see my wife (she lives there), and on at least three other occasions, we have had to stay in Sofia, usually either directly after or directly before a flight at the Sofia Airport. The first two times will be written in in other reviews. This one is especially for the Budapest Hotel. Thus far, THE best hotel in Sofia in my opinion. As soon as the taxi dropped us off from the airport, the attendant crossed the parking lot to take our luggage for us with a smile. As soon as we entered the lobby, the woman behind the desk was all smiles and more than willing to help us out; no reservations needed. We ended up booking a deluxe room on the sixth floor. The bed was among the nicest I've slept on (it should be noted we were coming back from the Canary Islands where we had spent a week at a five star resort). The balcony while small offered a great view of Sofia and was quite peaceful.
Room service? No WAY you could tell this is only a three star hotel. We ordered a full dinner our first night there, and got creative; we ordered soups, hot pots, salad, cheese, bread, you name it. It was delivered to our room on a covered cart and the food looked like it had jumped straight off Wolfgang Puck's kitchen table onto the plates. It was cooked expertly and the flavors blew our minds. We did this twice while there and, both times, spectacular. Once again, delivered to our rooms with a smile. That never gets old, at least for me. If they're not smiling, they're not happy, and if they're not happy, why would you wanna stay there is my philosophy.
The room was very clean; one caveat, in our room, we had a chair that appeared to be stained on the edge of the cushion. With what, I don't know, but hey, can't beg for perfection every time, right? The bathroom was also pretty nice; full bathtub and shower and spacious counter top and sink.
I won't lie; the hotel IS situated right next to the tram tracks, and it makes its rounds every couple minutes. Most of the time it's maybe a rumble (which we sometimes mistook for being high-up airplanes), but sometimes you can hear the shrieking of metal on metal as it rolls by. But if you keep the windows and door closed at night, it shouldn't disrupt your sleep any; at least not mine, and I'm not a particularly deep sleeper.
The restaurant is small, but it's very cozy. It has a bar and a small buffet that seems to serve exactly what's needed. It's maybe only the size of my kitchen (the buffet), but I could load up on bacon, eggs, toast, bread, drinks, and fruit all day long if I had wanted.
If you want affordable, clean, and friendly, give this one a shot. I'd stay here any day of the week.

Room Tip: Air conditioning shuts off automatically when you open a window or balcony door. Rooms on the west...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

its like most things in life if you are happy with a clean hotel offering a friendly service at a good place then this will work for you. it id s a little way out of the city centre but cabs are so cheap, it really is not a problem. Good sized rooms, very clean bathroom, towels and linen. good lobby bar and a good breakfast

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Budapest Hotel? Share your experiences!