“Nice hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 53 Hotels in Sarajevo
Sibenik, Croatia
“Nice hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

Hotel Saraj is small hotel overlooking the city of Sarajevo. It is nice, clean and staff is helpfull. I stayed there two times and I'll come back for sure!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Swanton, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

We spent 9 days at the Hotel Saraj in December 2007. For the price, compared to other hotels in and near the old town Sarajevo, it was well worth it. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room, while a little worn, was very comfortable. The complimentary breakfast in the restaurant was very nice and had a good selection of hot and cold items. Having wireless in the room was fantastic, especially since we were there over Christmas and wanted to stay in touch with family back home. The stand-by taxi driver was an excellent service, one that we used on several occasions. And it was close enough to walk into the Baščaršija, which we did on a daily basis. The only negatives were that the walk to the Baščaršija was downhill, and coming back at night along a very narrow sidewalk was a little scary. But I imagine that in the warmer weather when the sun sets later in the day, it wouldn't be so bad. And we did have one night when there was a wedding downstairs...immediately below our room. The music was so loud! But the staff was quite helpful, and allowed us to sleep in another room for the night without having to move all of our belongings from our room. Al in all, we were quite pleased with out stay in Hotel Saraj.

• Liked — The value, Internet access, free breakfast, and helpful staff.
  • Disliked — The walk back up the mountain at night in the winter.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

Great view of the city, fairly priced. Only 5 minutes from the centre of the city. Free internet. The rooms are well equiped, but it's a 3 star hotel, so don't expect luxuries. Breakfast was ok.

• Liked — Location and views.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Croydon, United Kingdom
1,040 helpful votes 1,040 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2007

I stayed 14 nights from 20 November 2007, while working in Sarajevo. The hotel sits on a hill at the easternmost part of the town. It is 5 minutes walk down to the old Ottoman part, so well situated if you are there as a tourist. My office was 15 mins walk away and the Holiday Inn might have been a more convenient location. However I had asked my office to suggest a hotel with pool. They did not include Holiday Inn as its rooms had a poor reputation locally. When my return flight was cancelled by fog, I stayed a night. I thought it better than Trip Advisor reports had prepared me for – though the pool there is currently closed for renovation.

The Saraj is 4 times the size of when I stayed in 1999. It has added rooms at the side and each floor is at two levels. But it retains its essentially communist era brown colour schemes and straight-cut designs. Because I was staying 2 weeks, they gave me a larger room (110) which had large comfortable bed and other functional furniture. The floor had under floor heating which made the wooden floor comfortable. Lighting was fine to work by. The bathroom had a shower unit, with toilet and washbasin. Overall the quality was ok, if a bit old-fashioned ─ a true East European experience

Staying 14 nights I negotiated an earlier opening, at 0700 each day, of the top floor pool. Though the surrounds are spacious the pool itself has a circumference of about only 25 metres. No one else used it when I did. The changing room had metal factory lockers, and the showers plastic penguin design curtains which took me back many years! The young woman who opened most days was very friendly and was so apologetic one morning when I got to the pool before she did so. I never really established who ran the pool and beauty area but there was a separate price list in the bedroom. I was charged KM 10 per hour and we added up my aggregate time when I came to pay the bill.

Breakfast was diy in the first floor restaurant : rolls, cheese, some cold meats, one flavour yogurt, one flavour juice (orange), and some apples, shrunken oranges + sometimes bananas. The quality was ok but it got pretty monotonous, so I bought yogurt and other juices at the Konsum supermarket in old town.

The hotel has a laptop PC with free internet access. Ask at reception for key to ground floor area portioned off the lounge

Laundry came back same day. A shirt cost KM 4 (EUR 2,00).

The big plus for this hotel was the friendly service. Most of the time I was the only native English speaking guest. The Manager personally greeted me every morning, and all the staff went out of their way to do whatever I asked. Service could not have been better!

I paid a bed and breakfast rate of KM 130 (EUR 65) per night.

Would I stay again, probably. It would depend where I was working. The city has 300,000+ people. The Radon Plaza is a luxury hotel very much closer to the Butmir Airport which is almost at the farthest point from the Saraj Hotel

• Liked — Extremely friendly service, authentic Eastern Europe experience
  • Disliked — Monotonous breakfast
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brussels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2006

We just returned from 3 nights in the Sarej, and I'm surprised by previous reviews I've read - unlucky people I assume. Our stay was excellent. We had a wonderful double room (Rm 110), VERY spacious, with a fridge and hair dryer. We found it to be quite clean (and my wife is fanatical in this department), lots of towels and a wonderful view of the city. The staff - FANTASTIC!! On day two I contracted a case of "Milsovic's Revenge" (stomach flu) after eating downtown (simply bad luck I think). Upon hearing of this, the Manager had the kitchen staff make up a special "brew", delivered tea to the room and personally went to her home and returned with 6 gravol tablets (no charge for ANY of this I might add). They couldn't do enough and were constantly asking my wife how I was progressing and was there anything else they could do.
No, the rooms do have all the amenities of "modern" western European cities. This is a relatively poor country and a city that only ten years ago sufferered through a four year siege and some of the greatest human atrocities of the latter 20th century. There are few places you can stand in this city without seeing a graveyard - not a negative aspect of the hotel but a reality of Bosnia.
Breakfast was wonderful, lots of variety for the adventurous and always scrambled eggs being prepared. Coffee is typical for that part of the world (albeit odd for us westerners).
Would I stay there again - in a heartbeat. It was a great deal for the price and as close as you can get to Old Town and the shopping.

• Liked — Staff were wonderful
  • Disliked — I prefer to have the safe in the room, although lockup was available at the desk
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
Sarajevo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2006

What the hotel lacks (3 star), the staff more than make up by bending over backwards to help. I recently organized a conference which required 32 rooms and a conference room. In every aspect of the organization the management was more than accomodating by agreeing to all my requests and even offering more in order to make the guests' stay a pleasurable one. Personal, professional and extremely flexible, the staff rate a 5 star in my book.

Stayed October 2006
EAST COAST
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2006

I booked this hotel on-line after seeing the photo and reading the hotels facilities. On arrival I was informed that I wasn't expected. Even though I had confirmation by e-mail that my booking had been succesful, they didn't know anything about me.
After reading the review about the hotel swimming pool, I double checked with reception that the pool was definately part of the hotel. I was informed it was and nothing about a charge for using it was mentioned. The room itself was spacious but bare and lacking in the comforts that you would expect from a 3 star hotel. there was no tea or coffee making facilities no hairdryer or even a clock.
Although I had originally booked into this hotel for three nights I booked out the following morning and went to look for somewhere else. I left my girlfriend to have a swim and sauna while I was looking and was horrified to find she had been charged over KM30 for the pool facilities.
I managed to find a small but comfortable hotel called the Emona just down the road at the bottom of the hill. This was much more comfortable and was cheaper as well. I can recommend this hotel for its food and friendly,helpful staff.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Hotel Saraj? Share your experiences!