“Cheap! NOT IN A GOOD WAY!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
Kansas City, Missouri
“Cheap! NOT IN A GOOD WAY!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Could not find another room in the city, or I would have moved out an hour after I got here. The owner is probably the cheapest person I've ever met. I complained about the lack of cold water. None in the shower or the sink. Her solution was to turn on both at the same time and wait for a half an hour! Really? I ended up staying for three weeks. Every day I asked her if she were going to get a plumber...finally she yelled at me and said that she had NO intention of getting the water fixed. The swimming pool (another thing we pay for) has not had water in it the entire time. I asked her about that. She said she has no intention of filling it. They charge your card several days ahead of time and put unnecessary holds on your money. DO NOT authorize them to run your card unless they speak to you first! Apparently counting to 7 is pretty hard for them. MY four year old daughter can do it. I would NOT recommend this hotel to my worst enemy! Not to mention the TRAIN that runs through about every freakin 20 minutes! Try to sleep through that! They make you sign a card when you check in saying that you know about it and won't complain. If there were any other choice in Ashland during my stay I would have taken it. And I do mean ANY!

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a "Good" room here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Morgantown, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I thought about giving this motel a 2 out of 5 because the rooms themselves really weren't that bad. My room was clean and well-decorated. However, I just can't give any credit to a motel that makes you pay $75 for a night of no sleep due to the LOUD trains passing through all night long!

My company booked this motel for me because it was the last one available in Ashland, but I would be furious if I'd spent my own money on this place.

Room Tip: Try a hotel in Huntington, WV if everything else in Ashland is booked!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Ashland hotels

Richmond, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Everyone's review of this place will be the same, and you're warned about it before you sign anything: the train is loud.

I took at impromptu trip along the lovely Ohio River in southern Ohio. Around Portsmouth, Ohio, I was feeling the effects on a migraine headache starting, so I was trying to find a decent motel before I couldn't handle the headache.

Ironton, Ohio apparently doesn't have a motel, nor do surrounding towns, so I crossed into Kentucky. The Best Western at the western end of Ashland was full, but the desk clerk was kind enough to call this motel. The Quality Inn clerk said that they had a room and that the train noise was rather a problem, and that the pool was not working. At this point, I didn't care.

I'm writing this after about 4 hours sleep at almost 1:30 a.m., somewhat because of the train, somewhat because I need to be more tired to sleep again. The train woke me twice and I returned to sleep the first time successfully. I was awake the third time it passed, which wasn't more than 20 minutes from its previous passing. It's okay, though.

What's strange is how such a room, big bed or not, could be $74.99, at such a noisy location. It was unhelpful that the desk clerk and the female owner/operator both said "you were lucky to get a room". I suppose they have plenty of business but this sounded as though they did not appreciate mine. I wasn't going to argue, given my circumstances.

Room Tip: 122 was a good room with a good, large bed and a first floor location, and had non-smoking status.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Toledo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed there because my son likes trains and from that perspective you won't find a better motel in Ashland. But it's one thing to view trains at 7:00 PM, quite another to be jolted awake at 3:00 AM :(

The hotel makes you sign a disclaimer saying that you are aware of the train noise. The problem is that the motel is directly across from a crossing so you are less than 150 feet away from where the engineer blows the horn. We stayed toward the front where it was noisiest. Toward the rear, it may be quieter but it is doubtful that you would be able to stay anywhere in the building that would drown out the noise.

On the plus side, you do get a hot breakfast (of sausage and eggs) and the rooms appeared clean if somewhat dated. The neighborhood immediately behind the hotel is nice, with cool old houses. We had a nice stroll down several streets the evening we were there.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Saint Albans, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

My family decided to stay here because it was a cheap price considered to other hotels in that area. The rooms need to be updated, and could use a paint job. The pool was broken so we couldn't swim. The bed was comforable, however we didn't sleep good. When checking in we had to sign a paper stating that we were aware of the fact that there was a train track across the road. I have lived beside tracks all my life so that was nothing new. However they don't tell you instead of going through like 2 times it goes through EVERY 30 minutes and it's not just a couple of short horns it lets off like 4 or 5 long horns. It was horrible we didn't get anysleep at all. The only good thing about the stay was the whirlepool tub it was very big and spacious, but a couple of the jets were broken.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011 via mobile

Just awful. The owner has either never heard of customer service or just doesn't care. The location is terrible as it about 50 yards from a busy train track. Here are a few of the "highlights" of my stay.
*thread bare towels
*burn holes in the bed spread
*train whistle blowing at all hours
*very rude and nosey owner
On top of everything else I was awakened every day by the cleaning staff even though I had informed them I would be working nights during my stay. The owner saw that I had tools and had the nerve to ask me to remove a part to some piece of equipment for her. I would have felt differently about the request had my overall experience been more pleasant. I was made to feel like they were doing me a favor by letting me stay in their hotel. I will be calling the Quality Inn corporate office to lodge a formal complaint. Take my advice and stay anywhere but here.

• Stayed May 2011
Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

I checked in to this hotel late one night and while I was checking in someone upstairs started yelling and cursing. The language was so bad. It turned out that the Owner was cursing out his dad. The TRAIN was very bad. I could not sleep! I believe every train in America comes through Ashland! Every 5 minutes!!! Unless you are deaf you will not be able to get any sleep. Towels were worn, room was nasty. The breakfast was nasty and cold! The morning staff was rude as well! I got home and went over my credit card bill. They charged me an extra $15.00 as an extra transaction. I called and no one seemed to know why. They seemed to think it was because I had a pet or stole some towels. I did neither! They would not reverse the charges! My battle is not over!!!! Please what ever you do, DO NOT STAY WITH THESE CROOKS. It is loud!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to Quality Inn Ashland? Share your experiences!