“great bed” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Whitesville, Kentucky
“great bed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

This best western had one of the best beds I ever slept in. It was great. The only things I found wrong with the stay was my door. It must of had a inch gap from the floor to the bottom of the door and 1/2 inch around the latch side. Let in lots of noise. I put a towell down to block it.Other than that was pretty good stay.

Room Tip: I was on second floor and had no big problems with it.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Butlerville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This place works fine for the area. You get the normal Best Western room and service so you save a few bucks by getting a room here. When in town for business you could probably get Hampton or Holiday in for the same rate but for a family visit you could get a better rate here. Sign up for Best Western rewards. They have a clean outdoor pool during summer months. Everything seemed cleaned and everyone seemed friendly. You have the best Ashland shopping and dining within blocks. You get free breakfast. Golden Coral within a block. Walmart, Lowes, Subway, JC Penny's, Mall, etc closeby.

Room Tip: SIgn up for Best Western rewards. Ask for what you want, you might get it.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I reported to management that the room did not meet my expectations. I inspected the bed sheets and was disgusted. I was not accommodated at all by management. my husband and I packed up and stayed at the Holiday Inn and Suites that is most definite a 4 star hotel. I payed for the room at Best Western and basically walked out with no refund, management is terrible.
I made an official complaint to district head quarters.

• Stayed October 2011
Muncie, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this Best Western while attending his 50th High School Reunion. The first event was a picnic and I had dressed in new capri pants. As I sat down at the desk in the room, I heard a rip and realized I had torn my pants. Closer examination revealed a strip missing from the bottom of the center drawer exposing nail tips. I reported it to the front desk. A maintenance man was there within ten minutes and removed the nails. My pants were inexpensive, but new and I liked them, so the next morning I asked about making a claim. Within a couple of minutes we had come to an agreeable solution - no fuss.

This is the second time I have stayed here. The rooms are clean and quiet despite the railroad and steel mill across the highway. I liked the extra set of pillows. The hot breakfast is very good and the coffee in the lobby was excellent. They did miss giving us another coffee packet in the room on the second day, but we brought our own mugs and it may have looked like we didn't use the coffeemaker. I still miss showercaps - but other places I've stayed don't offer them any more either. My iPad 2 worked fine on the free wireless. Overall, I had no real complaints and will stay again on our next trip.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Leesburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

Well maintained - clean - convenient - reasonable value - good free basic hot & cold breakfast - comfortable bed with in-room fridge & microwave - staff is responsive - outdoor pool only - stayed here once or twice a year over five or more years. But, breakfast can be crowded at times; coffee tends to be weak (in room consider using both coffee packets for a full pot); coffee not always automatically resupplied to room next day.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Gonzales, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

I don't know if it was the horrible experience we had with our first stop in Gatlinburg on our way to Kentucky, but we loved this Best Western! We don't normally select Best Westerns when travelling but this stay may change our selections in the future...

We chose it primarily because it was 'pet friendly' and it's location to our family that we were visiting for a few days. We stayed two nights. There was NO pet odor, no evidence that other pets had stayed in the room. The room was clean, the bed comfy, many pillows (I always like extra pillows in a hotel!), clean facilities, pleasant staff and great breakfasts!

The only negative was that the door to the outside (we were on the first floor at the end of the hall near the pool) did not work with re-entry using the room card (we alerted the front desk but nothing was done to repair it) but that was ok. You could get out but you couldn't get back in! I normally like to use the side entries like that to take my pets out for a walk so I don't have to parade them through the lobby each time...

Also, the location is convenient (Super WalMart is right down the street) but the hotel is right across the street from AK Steel Mill, which did not bother us at all. You cannot hear the surroundings while inside the room.

All in all, a very pleasant, comfortable experience. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
tabbott, General Manager at BEST WESTERN River Cities, responded to this review, November 19, 2010
The issue with the side door re-entry has been corrected by Onity! We apologize for the inconvenience.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

My wife and I returned to our hometown to visit for the holiday. Not much to say...the bed was comfortable, it was relatively quiet, and the freee breakfast was good. One mark off for this hotel was the wi-fi did not extend to the end of the hall where our room was. We had to go to the lobby to use the net, but there was plenty of comfy furniture, so no big deal really, for me. Other thoughts, this place is fine for travel of short stays or passing through. It isn't much of a destination in it's self. It sits in the middle of a shopping area and not much to do immediately around the hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
We have added access points at the ends of all hallways to correct this WIFI problem. Every area in the hotel has WIFI and this is checked daily by the staff so that our guest don't experience any down time.

Been to BEST WESTERN River Cities? Share your experiences!