“Nice Clean Hotel and Centrally Located” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Mandarin

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Papeete
Hotel Le Mandarin
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   51 Rue Colette, B.P 302, Papeete 98713, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Papeete
Sun City Center, FL
“Nice Clean Hotel and Centrally Located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

We arrived late at Midnight to a clean room in the front, with a very comfortable double bed, TV which had CNN, a small refrigerator/mini bar with enough room to keep food we bought at the market. It was quiet with a good air-conditioner which you need because of the heat and humidity.
We stayed for two nights before our cruise on the Aranui 3 freighter. The market where you can get about anything you need is just two blocks away. We bought food for all our meals there. The prices are the best and this is where the locals shop. We were also just two blocks from the water front and the main shopping area. There are many banks in the area all with an ATM so no problem getting Pacific Francs. They also let us store our luggage when our ship returned as our flight from Papeete was not until late that night.
I would recommend this for anyone that needs a basic hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Surfers Paradise, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

Tahiti is an expensive destination - and this hotel is expensive by Australian standards - but not by Tahiti standards. It is in a great position - close to the markets, the Moorea ferry and the Roulettes.
My husband and I stayed 4 nights - supposedly in a "Double Mini Suite". The room was large - but it was more like a family room - with 2 double beds and a single. It is old - but clean enough - and attempts have been made to renovate (in spots). I found the reception staff very helpful and friendly. There is a massive Ice Machine where guests can grab an ice bucket full and take back to their room. We did not eat in the Coffee Bar or restaurant - they are too expensive. We breakfasted in the markets - a few minutes walk- on lovely fresh ham rolls for XPF100, and freshly cut fruit. There are dispensing machines in the markets for water Coke etc - also very cheap. For the sweet tooth there is a lovely French Patissiere selling delightful cakes etc. For dinner - you cannot beat the Roulettes - near the ferry. Grab some wine or beer from the supermarket (Champion 1/2 hour walk toward airport - reasonably priced), bring some ice from the Mandarin ice machine - and select from a number of Food Vans, We had the best veal ever - it was carved directly from the beast being BBQ'd right there. The food is fresh and reasonably priced. I would stay there again - value for money in Tahiti it is fine.

• Liked — Location and, for Tahiti, a reasonable price
  • Disliked — a bit run down - but we knew that when we booked
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

Le Mandarin has a convenient location being right in Papeete. Its opposite the Town Hall, a couple of blocks walk from the waterfront and the markets are close by too. Reception area is small but nice. Reception staff were ok. Although they spoke little English and were not overly helpful or friendly. I got the feeling of being an annoyance to them if I enquired about anything.
The room was spacious and clean enough. The beds were clean and comfortable. Unbelievably kettles, tea and coffee are not provided in the rooms. A couple of days later we asked if they had any and they provided us with an old plastic jug that was partly melted. The card keys for the doors rarely worked and we were constantly having to go back down to reception to get a new one. Often the replacement one they gave us didnt work either. I wasnt concerned about the traffic noise, but again unbelievably at 4am every morning, and I could set my clock on it, the noisiest roosters out would start crowing just outside our window. I could not believe that this would be allowed to happen in a city. The view from our window was hideous, looking straight into a slummy backyard (where the roosters lived). The rooms on the other side of the hotel did have a better view. The power points are not what we would have in Australia and New Zealand, and as we had shavers, laptops and mobile phones to charge we needed an adapter. Unbelievably they had only one adapter for the whole hotel. We ended up having to share it around with other rooms. The breakfast restaurant was ok, but again the friendliness of the waitress left alot to be desired. It was extremely expensive but that is the same everywhere in Tahiti.
The hotel does have a brilliant chinese restaurant though which served some of the finest, flavoursome chinese I have tasted. Would I stay here again? Unlikely unless it was at budget prices.

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — Roosters crowing at 4am, no tea and coffee making facilities, no power point adapter
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne,Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2008

I stayed at Le Mandarin pre and post cruise and found it clean and relatively comfortable and very convenient to the Marche and in easy walking distance to the wharf with wheeled suitcase, thus eliminating an exorbitant taxi fare. I found all the staff extremely pleasant and enjoyed being able to take a Tiare gardenia each morning from the bowl at reception to place over my ear - the perfume from these is absolutely gorgeous but not too overpowering. The continental breakfast at the coffee shop is excellent and for anyone who likes grapefruit juice, the local pamplemousse juice is so different and much sweeter than you can get at home. When I was there the exchange rates made everything even more expensive than usual, but by eating at the roulettes this helps keep the budget within reason. The food and service at the roulettes is excellent - and really the serves are too much for one person on their own. The chicken burger is very good and one of the best I've had. The Marche is also a good place to buy lunch, particularly the made rolls - I bought a ham and lettuce roll and small bottle of coke for $A5.50 and the bread is so good you could eat it on its own. The Marche is also a great place for souvenir shopping and only about five minutes walk from the hotel.

My only complaint about the hotel is that while awaiting an early morning flight there is no garden or anywhere else to wait other than the lobby. Luckily I met someone else booked on the same flight and we shared a taxi to the airport early and just spent the time there chatting.

If I ever return to Papeete again I would consider staying at Le Mandarin again because of its convenience to everything.

• Liked — Convenience to the cruise wharf and the market
  • Disliked — No garden to relax in during the afternoons when its too hot to walk around town
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

We stayed at Le Mandarin for an overnight in Tahiti. Our sole purpose for the overnight was to visit the roulottes (food trucks) at the dock, which we hadn't been to since our honeymoon. Knowing this, our travel agent booked us at Le Mandarin.

We couldn't have been more pleased with the location of the hotel. The roulottes were a quick 5 minute walk away. We were even more surprised by the large size of our room - we had THREE beds in the room! The air conditioning was welcome as well, and with the mini fridge we could enjoy our roulotte leftovers for breakfast the next day.

The elevator was quite small but adequate enough to fit 2 people with luggage.

Next time we want to be in Tahiti we will certainly consider staying here again. The hotel isn't luxurious, but neither is Tahiti compared to her sister islands.

• Liked — Location location location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

I stayed at the Le Mandarin from 7/8/08 through the morning of July 12. I must say the location of this reasonably priced hotel (for Tahiti) is fabulous with quick access to the waterfront, the docks and various sites in Papeete. Great!

When I checked in, after a flight from Los Angeles, the man at the desk was polite and professional. My assessment of him changed quickly when he greeeted my concerns about the wacky non-working air conditioning device in the hot stuffy room with a surprising cold disdain, like, why are you bothering me with this, you stupid tourist and does dealing with air conditioners look like my job? He curtly informed me that the problem would be taken of the next day. Only after I insisted that he please help me immediately did he come up to assist with good results for which I thanked him. On a positive note he was helpful that first night in guiding me to a nice place for a late dinner. Overall, except for this one incident, the hotel staff was generally friendly and helpful.

As many reviewers have noted, this is a noisy hotel. when I checked in at about 7 PM I could hear barking dogs. Later, those great well known roosters. That I didn't mind. What greatly bothered me were the loud people next door to me in a connecting room. (Their voices were coming through the connecting door not the walls). While the hotel staff called them a few times to quiet them down, it didn't help for long. While the hotel agreed to relocate me to a non- connecting room later in my stay when one would become available, I decided against it because of the hassle factor and my belief that the people, after all those calls from the hotel front desk, would finally become quieter. Big mistake. I advise anyone who is noise sensitive staying at this hotel to insist on a non-connecting room. In addition, on my last night, (Friday) the music in the nightclub in the hotel could be heard at least up to the third floor where I was. It didn't stop unitl 1:30 in the morning. Good luck trying to sleep! Ddi I say this is a noisy hotel?

Overall, the room was nice, clean and well appointed and the housekeeping staff efficient. I didn' see one bug!

I would stay at this hotel again but only because it is so well located BUT would be very careful about the room. When I checked out, I thought it is most unfortunate that there is no truly first class hotel located in downtown central Papeete. Maybe those nice roosters will get together and build one!

• Liked — The central location of the hotel
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

We have stayed 2 nights at this small hotel in downtow Tahiti, the location is great, the hotel is very clean although old furniture but we were very well greated by the the receptionists. The only downside of this downtown hotel is the noise at night as it is surrounded by bars, restaurants and clubs. We recommend it for a short stay and price was reasonable (compared to all of the overpriced hotels of this destination.).

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Le Mandarin? Share your experiences!