“An average experience with a lousy service” 3 of 5 stars

Le Meridien Tahiti
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Tamanu | Punaauia, Papeete 97718, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Papeete
san francisco
“An average experience with a lousy service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2007

We stayed at this hotel in Tahiti after having stayed a couple of nights in Moorea(Club Bali Hai..eww). I liked their lobby, it was beautifully decorated with a high ceiling, and the pool was lagoon-style. The beach in front of the hotel looked much more appealing to us than other reviews maybe because we stayed at Club Bali Hai before that and found the beach there to be brown and dark.

The employees there however could use some brains..we paid for ocean view rooms, and this receptionist tried to put us into a garden room. Maybe she thought I couldnt speak good English (since she recognized from my name that I was Japanese), but I went back furious and asked her for an apology. She never even said a word of apology, said "The room is being cleaned and I change for you",,I was like " Of course you must change, I paid for it" With that big smile I am scared what she was thinking.

We never got a transformer even for a day in a 4 day stay. Their excuse was " I am sorry Mrs...everything is taken and we dont know when we will get them from these guests.." That went on for 4 days!! 5 star hotel could have more transformers ready right..

Food was ridiculously expensive for a so-so food. La Carre was supposed to be an expensive French, but food was a bit cold and taste just okay.

On top of that, we were told that we would be able to have a late-check out (normally it is 11 am)since our plane was 10pm and we would be picked up at 7pm, the night before, the receptionist said the room has to be cleaned after 11am check out for new guests. The promise was never made.
However, after 30 minutes, she called the room to say that she could finally made an arrangement for us to stay until 7 pm. She was the first and last decent receptionist I saw during that stay.

Overall, water in Tahiti is not blue. It is not the "last paradise"as we see in advertisements. Next time I would go to Bora Bora right away..If I ever come back I might check Intercontinental or other hotels just to see.

The best thing about this hotel? Cleanliness, and the bathroom. It was decorated very nice with a bathtub and a separate shower. With above things improved,,this hotel could be much better..

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — service of employees
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2007

On arrival, we upgraded to a suite becuase the rooms looked so uniformly awful. In fact what we got for twice the money was actually a large veranda attached to a standard room, as opposed to a suite. That was fine, but what really annoyed me was the management of the bar/restaurant that overlooks the sunset to the stunning island of Moorea. It is a view worth travelling to Tahiti for.
Heavily jet lagged we dragged our weary bodies down to the beach bar knowing that a glass of Champagne and a sunset would begin to make this journey worthwhile. We even dressed for dinner.
As we arrived at the empty bar/restauant a rather snotty French man came to tell us, with some apparent pride, that the bar and restaurant was closed, as it always was on Sundays and Mondays. It was the only place to watch the sunset. I then noticed the gaggle of other guests standing around awkwardly on the beach in order to watch the Sun go down. I couldn't believe it, and obviously asked if we could just sit at the table to watch the sunset. I was curtly told that no I couldn't, the restaurant was closed. This person suggested that we go to the other bar, which we had already experienced on the walk over. Imagine the bar of a busy Holiday Inn just outside Detroit, deep in the bowels of a Tahitian hotel. It wasn't just the disapointment and the rather ridiculous idea of closing the only sea view bar, it was the manner in which this man delivered the news. His arrogance and distain were galling.
The next day (Tuesday) we spent a very pleasant afternoon snorkelling and were again looking forward to the prospect of a drink as we came from the beach, to the bar, to watch the Sunset. As we arrived at the again empty bar, the same unpleasant man was there waiting to greet us. As it was empty again, and because of the keeness in his step, I knew there was a problem. 'You have to where shoes' he bluntly remonstrated. rather annoyed, I pointed to the fact that the place was empty and the Sun was already setting. I even offered to wear my flippers. No joy. No service. No grace or charm or even help. He seemed proud to be so unhelpful. Five minutes later he closed the bar for the night. His actions left us feeling like irrelevent, gormless fools for even trying to enjoy our stay. We left the next day, and will never return. The Intercontinental, down the road, is better in almost every way, particularly when it comes to friendly service, but they don't have a bar from which you can watch the Sunset. But then to be honest, for us, neither did the Meridian.

• Liked — the snorkelling was good, although there is a very strong (dangerous) current inside the reef.I'm a diver and it still scared me.
  • Disliked — The awful management of the Sunset bar & restaurant
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

3 nights stay. The staff is not friendly. The rooms very much look like hospital. The beach is small and dirty !

• Liked — The swimming pool.
  • Disliked — The beach and quality of service.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

We spent the first two night’s accommodation at this hotel. I was lucky enough to have a room to myself also, so it was very spacious and enjoyable. The property is located 15 kilometres from downtown Papeete and Faa International Airport.

Rooms were spacious and overlooked a fantastic pool area. They also had a small balcony with table and chairs. Junior Suites had a larger deck, which also had couches and a TV on it to make the most of the indoor/outdoor flow.

I really liked the pool at this resort; it had a sand base and made you feel as though you were swimming in a lagoon. The pool was huge and catered well to all ages.

Being a travel agent I can be quite fussy but this property was very enjoyable and overall a good 4 star property.

• Liked — The Pool!!!
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2007

Having been rerouted due to the political situation in Fiji, we booked Le Meridien in Tahiti as a second choice at the last minute. The hotel is very good and first impressions when arriving at night are excellent. However, in the cold light of day, the hotel is a little tired. This could be due to the fact that all communal areas are open to the elements. Being used to staying in 5 star plus hotels we were a little disappointed in the standards here. It does not compare well with other hotels in the group elsewhere in the world. The over water bungalows are over rated and more worn than the rest of the hotel and we never felt totally secure as they a quite away from the main complex. Ok for 1 night as a treat but not worth the extra money really - up grade to a suite in the main hotel for less money. Be warned if you arrive after 10pm you will not be able to get anything other than a cold meat platter to eat. No room service either - not what one would expect of a hotel of this calibre. However, the more you learn about the island, the more you realise that Le Meridien is 5 star by their standards! Tahiti is a wonderful and facinating place but can be a bit of a culture shock after being in the States or Australia, but take time to explore and use local buses and take a cultural tour to support the local economy. Having very few natural resources makes Tahiti a very expensive, bear this in mind when being charged $30 (US) for a 20 min taxi ride from the airport! Euros are accepted but the Polynesian Franc (XFR)is the norm. Exchange rates vary, use ATMs to get the best rate - up to XFR30 better than hotels. Although expensive at £40, the Polynesian Evening is well worth it. The buffet is the best we have ever experienced - included fresh lobster and comis chef preparing crepes. The entertainment is not at all contrived or twee, the young dancers and singers clearly enjoy perfoming traditional songs and dances. There is no real need to hire a car (quite expensive too) as there is only 1 road that circles the island. Buses are plentiful and cheap but make sure you get a timetable!
If we had ad ANY sunshire during our stay this would have truly been paradise!

Stayed January 2007
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2007

I took my wife for her 50th birthday to the Le Meridien. The people went out of their way to ensure that our trip was wonderful. We were welcomed upon arrival with special leis. We were given a nice overwater bungalo with flowers. Everyone we met wished her a happy birthday and tried to make sure she was very happy. The room had a great view.

The restaurant personnel were very helpful. My wife wanted something off the menu and the hotel staff was more than happy to help out.

The concierge arranged a massage for my wife. She was very impressed with the service which was provided in the room.

An excellent choice for a hotel on Tahiti.

• Tips/Secrets — Make sure to get an overwater bungalo
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2007

Me and my husband (both 24 years old) spent three nights in Le Meridien Tahiti during our honeymoon in mid May 2006. We both agree that it’s the second best hotel out of five we experienced in French Polynesia.
We arrived in French Polynesia from Paris at about 5am and went straight to the hotel. Their check-in only starts at 1pm but they had our room available at 10am. Since the hotel was fully booked they gave us keys to their “transfer room” which was shared with several other guests till our room was available.
We stayed in a Lagoon View Room (the cheapest one) which was very spacious. The bathroom was big with a bathtub and a separate shower “room”. Although at the time the water flow was slow, and it was lukewarm at evenings, never hot enough for me, but my husband didn’t complain.
Best of all about this hotel was the swimming pool; if you could call it that. It was more like a small lake, with fine sand as the flooring and clear aquamarine water. Even though the hotel was full, the pool was more than comfortable for everyone.
Also, the garden around the hotel is fabulous with all kinds of tropical trees and fruits. There’s a small grocery store near by, but make sure you have everything you might need with you (sunscreen, slippers, sunglasses…etc) because everything was really expensive.
My personal favorite spot was a couch in front of the gift-shop. It faces a balcony-like large space which is filled with water and different kinds of fish. I liked to sit there and enjoy the view when it was too hot to be under direct sunlight.

• Liked — Location, scenery, and pool.
  • Disliked — Shower water not warm enough for me.
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring everything you need with you, very expensive.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Le Meridien Tahiti? Share your experiences!