“Way overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Papeete
Sydney, Australia
“Way overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I can't help but agree with almost everything that the reviewer just before me said about this hotel being OK but way over priced.

On our way to Moorea and Bora Bora from Australia, we had to stay a night (two in the end) in Papeete in transit. We found Le Meridien to be very expensive for what you get (and we are lucky enough be happy to fork out the $$ to stay at Four Seasons in Bora Bora etc).

We have a family of four and I also brought my parents along so we had two rooms. Both rooms were garden view apartments and smelled - I suspect that they don't have non smoking rooms or something (maybe its a French thing).

The rooms are fair but dated. To be honest I just can't believe how expensive they were for the quality of them...dead set, the walk from our hotel room door to reception felt like what I imagine Changi prison to look like.

Maybe the overwater bungalows are the way to go if you must stay in Papeete. We did that in Moorea and Bora Bora, but didn't bother for two nights in Papeete.

Breakfast was also ridiculously expensive for the quality of it...very average. I've done loads of buffet breakfasts in my time, and this was at the lower end of value for money. Lunch by the pool was perfectly fine and half th cost of breakfast (go figure..).

We did relax by the pool and had fun kayaking etc, but if anyone is in transit like us to Moorea or Bora Bora and contemplating whether to stay in Papeete, think again and just get to the islands ASAP if you can. They are sensational.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Loictro, Reservation manager at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Adam D,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your feedback about your recent stay at Le Meridien Tahiti.
At Le Meridien Tahiti we do take in consideration our guests experience feedback as this is really important to us.
I am sincerely sorry to learn that we failed meeting your expectation and I would like to express my deepest apologies.
All negative aspects you have pointed out have been discussed with concerned departments.
Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your comments.

With my best regards.

Loic Troupel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Haslemere, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The pool area, gardens and beach are lovely, and the rooms in the main hotel building are very large and comfortable. Overall some updating would help - and the lighting around the buildings and grounds could be better. The staff were all very friendly and generally efficient. Food in the beachside restaurant is excellent with good service, but the main La Plantation restaurant was rather uninspired and service a bit haphazard. Prices are very high - as in all of Polynesia. A number of hotels in the islands have closed down, presumably because not enough people are prepared to pay more than they would in London or Paris. This hotel is better than 'average', but not quite 'very good' - 3.5 out of five, perhaps.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the bungalows built out over the lagoon look good
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Loictro, Reservation manager at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear thamesboater,

First of all I would like to thank you for your nice comment about Le Meridien Tahiti.
I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay at the Resort.
Thank you for pointing our staff friendless and efficiency and the quality and tasted courses that offers our restaurant Le Carre.
I want to reassure you that all negative aspects you have pointed out have been discussed with concerned departments.
Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your comments which will help us to improve our guest service.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Everything about my stay and experience at the Le Meridien Tahiti has been exquisite! I am a SPG Gold member and checked in to my 6th floor Panoramic Ocean View room upon arrival. The view was simply STUNNING!!! Relaxing sunsets and gorgeous sunrises filled my days and nights; while at the Le Meridian. The room was lovely, very clean, air-conditioned, spacious, a large bathroom with separate shower and bathtub, flat screen TV, a comfy king size bed and a sleek modern look. LOVE!!!

What set the stage for my stay here was the teammates that went above and beyond to accommodate my needs. They were tremendously helpful and went out of their way to make sure I was more than satisfied with the hotel services. ALL of them, not just one but all! The bottle of champagne waiting in my room, the welcome note from the general manager, the teammate who always made sure I had a beverage/lounge chair at the pool, the teammate who requested special food preparation for an excursion, the teammate who made sure my room service was prompt and concise. They ALL knew my name and they ALL treated me like one of their own. The attention to detail is what made the difference!!!!

They rolled out the red carpet and made my time in Tahiti simply amazing. This is Starwood Preferred Guest at it's best. Wonderful vacation!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Loictro, Reservation manager at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear LADIVA2011,

We are glad you have enjoyed your stay in one of our Panoramic Rooms.
Thank you for pointing our staff professionalism and efficiency.
As you mentioned the view from Panoramic Rooms is Amazing with the lagoon and Moorea.
It is a pleasure to know you really appreciate your stay with us.
I hope we will have the occasion to welcome you again,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 6nights in the lagoon view which was actually partially a ocean view. Rooms were huge and very clean. Only thing i would mention is all tv channels were in french so a bit pointless for us. Wifi was additional but not terrible conaidering was unlimited.

Service was great and very speedy. While everyone who goes to tahiti should know the island in general is very pricey it was great having a shopping centre with supermarket next to hotel for daily cheap food ideas.

All in all would make sure we spend time on the outter islands but would def be back here for a stopover.

• Stayed June 2013
Loictro, Reservation manager at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear travel-bugalugs24,

I am glad that you have enjoyed you stay in one of our Deluxe Lagoon Room.
Thank you for pointing our staff friendless and efficiency.
As you mentioned our Resort is located nearby a shopping center where our guest can go walking.
I really hope we will the opportunity to welcome you again.
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This resort is way overpriced and for that matter, the whole island is overpriced. And for that, we got to say: merci la France. :-)

We pulled up to the resort one evening without a reservation and were hit with the full rack rate. No discount whatsoever. OK. Fine. 375 euros. Wow! We got to the room and didn't get wow'ed by anything. Our room is a garden-view kind, which means it had no view, except for some bushes in front of the patio. Sure our room is large and clean but the furniture and decor are tired and dated. I wouldn't say that it bothered me but the expectation was understandably high. The worst is the bathroom, which feels like it comes straight out of the 1980s. Old blue tiles, creaky glass door, toilet that you had to use your entire upper body to force it to flush etc. For a resort at this price, it's very disappointing.

What really ticked me off is that we didn't get free wi-fi. There's a hefty charge (something like 10 euros a day?) to have in-room wi-fi. I should mention that there are 2 desktop computers with Internet in the lobby. I understand that Tahiti is a remote island with a small population. The cost of laying the infrastructure for telecommunication is high and thus the high fee for usage. But this is a 500-USD a night room. For God's sake, can we get some free wi-fi? Just to prove that this place tries really hard to squeeze every last dollar/euro/dong/baht out of us, the next night we moved to the Radisson Resort. This time we had a ocean front room on a high floor with much nicer decor and amenities and guess what ... free in-room wi-fi. We paid half the price for a similar beach location if not better (the Radisson got a longer and wider black sand beach and a nice swimming pool) and same distance to Papeete city center. See? It can be done. Free wi-fi is not impossible.

Oh, and you think 500-usd a night would have got us some breakfast? Think again. That rate didn't include breakfast. Not a piece of toast or a glass of OJ. Nada. Pardon me. Rien. OK, I guess I should stop here before I remove every single star from the rating for this "resort."

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Loictro, Reservation manager at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear bonsaisai,

We do take in consideration our guest comments.
By reading your post I realize we may have failed meeting some of your expectations and I want to apologize for this.
As you didn’t book a room before going to the Hotel we proposed you the rack rate that’s why your room price was high.
About the wi-fi, since last Monday it’s entirely free at the lobby and the bar “L’astolabe”.

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Enjoyed a tremendous holiday at the Le Meridien Tahiti! We had two over water bungalows for a family celebration. The staff were more than accommodating and friendly at all times. The bungalows were well appointed with air conditioning, very comfortable beds and private balconies. The location of the bungalows is perfect and off a private pier over a coral lagoon. We prefer the Le Meridien bungalows compared to the other hotels in the area due to the highly private nature of the bungalows on the property. There are also only 12 bungalows so your experience is unique and exclusive. You cannot swim off the bungalow but the lagoon is easily accessible from the beach.

The sand bottom pool is fun and very nice. The beach is private and very nice. Snorkel equipment and kayak boats are all available to hotel guests and are free to use.

The hotel has a nice breakfast which is worth having included into your package. The other restaurants are typical hotel faire. The internet is free in the lobby with two computers available for use. However, the keyboards might be in French style so they can be a challenge to use for Americans. Wireless internet is available for a fee.

We will return to the Le Meridien Tahiti with great joy. Highly recommended for an overwater stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Loictro, Reservation manager at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear FamilyFunx3,

We are happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay in one of our Over water Bungalow.

As you mentioned our resort location offers many options around water activity such as snorkeling and diving.

Thank you for pointing out our fantastic swimming pool with sand bottom.

I hop we will welcome you again,

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We found the view excellent...the service great and the room large and well appointed. We had a great view of the water and the lilly pond/koy that swim "on the roof". We were very pleased by the choice and made us feel good about staying at the Meridian

Room Tip: Get a junior suite overlooking the pool
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Loictro, Reservation manager at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Richard L,

Thank you for your nice comment about your stay at Le Meridien Tahiti.
We are happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at the Hotel.
Thank you for pointing out our professional staff and our comfortable rooms.
I hope we will welcome you again,

Loïc Troupel

Been to Le Meridien Tahiti? Share your experiences!