“Short Stay - Transit” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Papeete
Luanda, Angola
“Short Stay - Transit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed for two nights only on our way to Bora Bora.
The check in is a bit slow and it seems lake ages for someone who travelled more than 20 hours to get there.
The room is spacious and everything is very clean and new.

The room service is very slow. It took nearly one hour to have our burgers delivered in our rooms.

Maybe if we stayed a little longer we could enjoy better things about this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Loictro, Reservation manager at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Jporiga,

I would like to sincerely thanking you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at Le Meridien Tahiti.
Thank you for mentioning our nice and cleanliness room.
I do apologize that check-in and room service did not meet your expectation.
I want to reassure you that all negative and positive aspects you have pointed out have been discussed with concerned departments and staff.
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

With my best regards
Loic Troupel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Southern Highlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Yes as a Starwood PG we received an upgrade, yes we received a late check-out, yes the reception staff were helpful and yes the wellness massage centre was great, but that's were it all came to a grinding halt. The food and service in the main dining area was woeful. In fact the best value food we found were the toasted sandwiches in the pool bar. This was an expensive stop over prior to joining an excellent Paul Gauguin cruise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Loictro, Reservation manager at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear johnathoppy,

First of all I would like thanking you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay in Le Meridien Tahiti.
Thank you for mentioning our helpful and professional staff and our great massage center.
I do apologize that the food and the service did not meet your expectation.
I want to reassure you that all negative and positive aspects you have pointed out have been discussed with concerned department and staff.

Lismore Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I must agree with other contributors, this is a noisy hotel, you do get dogs barking, roosters crowing, noisy lifts plus they have functions that are very noisy so maybe not the place if you are in transit or a light sleeper. I would suggest that if you stayed longer you’d adjust to the various inconveniences but on the other hand I couldn’t understand spending more than a night or two here when there so many better places on the other islands.

The rooms are actually pretty good and quite spacious though the water views from our water view room (which we’d paid extra for) were blocked out by trees. We were on the 4th Floor so I’m not sure how the website promotes Deluxe Ocean Views from Levels 2 to 4? If you like TV and aren’t French you’ll also have a problem as this hotel has about 10-15 channels and all of them were French.

As far as eating goes, the Le Carre Restaurant is excellent, really high quality food and great staff, as good as any we had on the seriously good resorts on Bora Bora and Moorea. On the other hand breakfast is poor. Food seems to be cooked or brought out at the start of Breakfast so if you arrive for breakfast later but still within the allotted time the breakfast has probably sat around for a number of hours and was generally old and cold. Breakfast may have been hot and tasty at 6am but it certainly wasn’t by 10am.

The hotel has really nice gardens and the pool was excellent, however the beach area and water are very average (though this is obviously not the hotels fault), the trouble is that this is not Bora Bora or Moorea.

While staff generally were friendly and helpful I must also agree with other comments that the front reception staff lacked a bit of a caring attitude and we didn’t really feel like “wow welcome to Paradise Tahiti”, more like “your rooms down there somewhere, go to the end of the corridor, up the stairs and down the hallway”. Um hello...there’s three of you at reception, it’s dark, it’s late, couldn’t someone show us the way and make us feel you actually care. This attitude was particularly evident on our second stay when we were in transit and asked for a 4am wakeup call when we arrived at 7.30pm yet we were still given a room above the disco that went past midnight. Couldn’t someone have had the initiative to put two and two together and work out that this was probably not an appropriate room selection. Alas it wasn't to be, they were just going through the motions.

It’s such a long way to get to French Polynesia, and with what the website pictures portray, it’s just a bit of a letdown that this is your first interaction with a supposed island paradise, I just think that this hotel could do better.

Room Tip: If you want a panoramic water view from the Hotel, levels 1 through to 4 will not give it to you des...
Dear HB00763,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience in Le Meridien Tahiti.

Thank you for pointing out our rooms cleanliness and resort facilities such as our sand bottom pool, our tropical gardens and our direct beach access.

I have well noted your comments about the reception staff and the breakfast composition.
I hope we will welcome you again,

New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I am afraid that there seem to be rather a lot of 'pedantic' comments regarding the bad rap that this hotel seems to inexplicably, consistently receive. In fact we almost succumbed to it ourselves and were thinking about changing our booking to another in Papeete. I am glad we did not!

Previous comments about the hotel looking tired and outdated are utterly misleading. Yes, when you compare it the Hilton on Moorea, it is not a showpiece hotel, but then you pay a premium for the Hilton don't you? Le Meridien in itself is a very, very nice hotel.

Our room was on the sixth floor and afforded beautiful views of the lagoon and the sunsets over Moorea. It was kept fastidiously clean everyday by the very friendly maids, it was a very nice room and complimented by an extremely comfortable bed.

The grounds and the pool are beautiful, although yes, the lining in parts of the pool is starting to lift, but no big deal.

The staff are incredibly friendly and efficient and as to the previous comments about not being understood if you do not speak French, fear not. All reception staff we spoke to, spoke very good English and understood us better than some at the Hilton Moorea! Furthermore, we even received a phone call 2 days into our 4 day stay asking if we were satisfied with everything and if there was anything they could do to further enhance our stay!

Dogs barking all night? Errm no! Very quiet peaceful place.

Snorkeling out on the reef was excellent, as was the quality of the snorkeling equipment. Again, pay attention Hilton Moorea!

We ate at the Plantation restaurant once and the food was better than average. We ate at the Astro Restaurant and again the food was better than average although neither of the restaurants had outstanding food.

All up, please do not worry about staying here based on the other very negative reviews. I am very critical myself and this place really is a very nice option for the cost. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We were on the sixth floor which afforded lovely views of the lagoon and pool. 4 upwards would be go...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Loictro, Reservation manager at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear ScottyNZ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay in Le Meridien Tahiti.

We are glad you have enjoyed your stay here in Le Meridien Tahiti.
Thank you for mentioning our friendly staff, our various high quality restaurants and our beautiful view rooms.
Once again thank you for giving us your feedback as this is really important to us to improve our guest service.

Melbourne, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was reading one of the reviews about the staff unable to speak english which is not true.
We had no trouble comunicating with anybody. The hotel is a little old but they keep it in good
condition. We stayed in one of the over the water bungalows and it was just fantastic! The view from our balcony of the coral garden was just breathtaking. We used to get bread at breakfast to feed the fish from our balcony and we even named one of the bigger ones after one of the bartenders in the pool bar just because he ate one of the smaller fish while we were feeding them bread. (This guy at the pool bar wasn't very nice); aside from this guy everyone else was just nice and very helpfull including the general manager of the hotel which paid for a drink for me and my husband at the lobby bar when he found out that is was my husband's birthday. It is true that the beach is not that great and the current sometimes is very strong but my husband is an excellent swimmer and an snorkeling nut. He had the time of his life snorkeling just from the beach at no extra charge. We love french food and we ate must of the time we were there at the beachfront restaurant Le Carre which was excellent. Breakfast was included in our rooom rate and it was fine and with plenty of options to choose from. We ate one night at the hotel restaurant just out of convenience and it wasn't that great.

Room Tip: If you can afford it stay in the over water bungalows.
Dear Vivian d,

First of all I would like thanking you for sharing with us your feedback about your recent stay at Le Meridien Tahiti.
I am glad you have enjoyed your stay in one of our idyllic Overwater Bungalow.
Thank you for pointing out our delicious restaurant Le Carre and our staff friendliness and efficiency.
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have just returned from a 7 night stay at Le Meridien. I stayed as a Starwood Preferred Guest (very worthwhile joining and it is free to join) and had a Panoramic View Room on the 6th Floor. I had a 6 night, pay for 4 package. Views=outstanding. I liked the laid back vibe of the Resort and it seemed family friendly. My room was spacious and very clean. They give you the option of being 'green' and not having it serviced everyday. This was great for me as I was staying alone and it simply didn't need doing daily. It meant I didn't have to leave the air conditioned room to swelter in the intense heat just to have my room cleaned. I had handy access to the lifts and facilities and prefered this to over water bungalows which were away from the rest of the resort. I found all the staff to be very friendly and professional and they have way better English than I have French (non-existent) which was a relief to me when arranging activities. Breakfast was included in my rate and I thought they did a great job of catering for all nationalities. I saw the show on the Friday night (held in the Plantation restaurant) - very colourful. The Buffet that is included in the ticket price I thought was outstanding. Other nights the restaurant food was only ok but I didn't eat there alot. The snack bar food was more than enough for me - the Club sandwiches were yum. (Big enough to feed two - as were most meals) - Save your dollars and order one between 2 if you are not travelling alone. I did not try Le Carre (ran out of time). The Hotel arranged trips and transfers for me and all went smoothly. Very efficient. Rooms were quiet at night and the only barking dogs I heard were away off and only during the day. Grounds are well maintained.
The sandy bottom pool was great and plenty of room with the kiddies playing around the rocks and the adults in the middle deeper part. Lots of towels on offer and usually plenty of space/chairs for all. I got to see a couple of the other resorts (5*) about as I was visiting friends and I have to say that I prefered Le Meridien because of the grounds and gardens and general feeling of friendliness though professional too. It is an older resort but it is well cared for and some of the other resorts were so business oriented in their lobbies, I would have not enjoyed staying there at all. I liked the Plantation style of the place with the dark wood. The pool was lit up at night and you could wander down to the public beach to watch the sunsets. Lovely. It is also located near to a shopping centre (to your left as you walk out of the resort) which was great. Especially the Supermarket which even has gift tins of stuff at great prices to take home for the rellies. If I have any niggles they were tiny - like the too short cord for the electric jug. You could not use it as it was not long enough to reach the plug and have the base sit flat. I laughed when I tried it and kept tugging on the cord thinking it was just wound up around the base. Probably a good thing to drink less coffee anyway. I enjoyed my stay even though my Travel Agent booked me under another name - like a sort of extra "Joe Bloggs" in case I ended up taking someone with me at the last minute. Caused some confusion but I didn't mind and that was down to the Travel agent and not the Hotel or myself. Was quite amusing to answer to another name anyway. I did a day trip to Moorea on my journey and will probably visit there next time, but I would definitely stay at Le Meridien before and after on my journey. I had a great time. Thank you to all.

Room Tip: Starwood prefered Guest rooms are nicest - higher floors and great views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Abby058,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience at Le Meridien Tahiti.

I am glad that you liked your stay at the hotel.
And I would like thanking you to mention our tasted food, professional staff and our spacious and comfortable rooms, sandy bottom pool.

As you commented our Hotel is nearby a shopping center where our guests can go to the restaurant and buy Polynesian products.

I hope we will welcome you again,

Bellevue, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

we booked our room here on the way to a Tahiti cruise-- but what a surprise--we both said we could've stayed here much longer, its just simply an excellent hotel-- well located, great service, clean well appointed rooms, excellent food--we were well pleased and it started our holiday with an A+

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Loictro, Reservation manager at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear whatatripwehad,

I would like to sincerely thanking you for your nice comment, your feedback is very important for us.
Thank you very much for mentioning our professional staff and our tasted food.

Loic Troupel

Been to Le Meridien Tahiti? Share your experiences!