“Underwhelming” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Papeete
San Francisco, California
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed here as a post-cruise room before our flight home, booked by the cruise's travel agency. We were supposed to be there from 10AM to 7PM, not long for $150/pers but what choice did we have? However, for the cruise group half of the rooms were not ready to use by 10AM and some had to wait in the lobby until noon. What is the point of a day room that is not ready by the afternoon? My family booked 2 rooms, and the hotel double-booked one of them. A stranger barged in on my mom's room and scared her. Then her key timed out at 5PM. Amateur hour. The beach is small and rocky, and the sand pool had a lot of sand fleas and other bugs that ate us alive (we visited 5 islands in Fr. Polynesia and only got bit here). The restaurant was unimpressive and overpriced, but that is to be expected. I would never stay here again and don't recommend it. However the rooms were roomy and clean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Loictro, Reservation manager at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Ttttttttttttt7,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your feedback about you recent stay at Le Meridien Tahiti.
All negative aspects you have pointed out have been discussed with concerned departments.
I do apologize that Food did not meet your expectation especially talking about rate; the shopping center nearby offers alternative food option.
Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your comments.

731 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We chose to stay here for a day finishing our cruise - not our best decision. People did rave about the Intercontinental. This hotel is so dated - its attempt at being a modern art hotel may have worked when new - but now the features and rooms are worn down. The hotel web site shows images that must have been when the hotel was brand new. The drive into the property has carvings vandalized, empty beer cans on the curb and what looked like tracks of a 4x4 having some fun on the lawn. Even the hotel sign is falling down - obviously no investment into this property. The hotel staff really do try their best - if you can find them. Restaurant staff arrived to work 30 minutes after opening and the food was diner style. Drinks average $15USD. We were happy to just get some sleep, some AC and check out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Havanna59,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your comment with us.
At Le Meridien Tahiti we do take in consideration our guests experience feedback as this is really important to us.
I am sincerely sorry to learn that we failed meeting your expectation and I would like to express my deepest apologies.
I want to reassure you that all negative aspects you have pointed out have been discussed with concerned departments.
Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your comments which will help us to improve our guest service.
Should you one day decide to stay again at Le Meridien Tahiti please do not hesitate to contact me.
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We used a day room at the end of our cruise and were very unhappy with the hotel. Management was totally unprepared for the large number of guests. Luncheon sandwiches were of poor quality and expensive. Transportation to the airport was mismanaged and a disaster. Would not recommend this hotel. Sorry we didn't go to the Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Loictro, Reservation Manager at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear zumpano,
I would like to thank you for your comment posted recently.
I am sorry that we failed in providing you with the appropriate level of service you were expected.
Your comment about Food has been addressed to head of department for review.
Although transportation was not under our control I do apologize that you had to face a bad experience there too.
Should you one day decide to come back to Tahiti please feel free to contact me.
Bladenboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed 3 nights, It was just what we expected and more. Ths staff was very helpful, in everything from helping with luggage to helping with phone calls or the bill. Sometimes we had language barrier, but they tried the best they could. The restaurant is pretty pricey, but their were stores right outside of the facilities. You could snorkel right outside of your rooms on the hotel property. Loved it would come back again.

Room Tip: If you can stay in Bungalows it will make your vacation extra special.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear msmikieb,
I would like to thank you for your nice comment.
We are glad you have enjoyed your stay in one of our Overwater Bungalow.
As you mentioned a majority of our staff speak English and the hotel is located by the lagoon of Tahiti offering many variety of activities.

Best regards,

Federal Way, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We had a one night stay here. We left our cruise ship and checked in as soon as we could in order to enjoy their amenities. The bellhop collected our bags from our cab and had them and my husband in our room before I had even finished checking in. Despite the rain, we loved the sandy bottom pool (and its weird water bikes!) and used one of their kayaks to explore the open water. The gentleman handing out towels and equipment was very polite and friendly. Even though the umbrellas are meant to provide shade, they also did a great job of keeping us and our towels dry. The grounds are lush and full of nature sounds you can enjoy from your balcony. The room itself was a good size, but our lights flickered a lot and it was full of noises. Our toilet stall door was extremely loud and I could hear weird noises as I tried to fall asleep. I think I discovered those to be from the elevator, which was odd because we were not that close to it! We also liked that there was a grocery store very close by.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear KaelCoffey,

Thank you very much for your comment, your feedback is very important to us.

We are glad you have enjoyed your stay here in Le Méridien Tahiti.

Thank you for pointing our balcony, unique swimming pool and our staff.

Best regards,

Irvine, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

For the money we paid I expect much much more !!!!!!
Didn't really feel any service. Nobody really wanted to speak with us . Sometimes we were just ignored and were not sure we really existed. Could not to leave hotel for the 40 min. No one taxi wanted to take us.
Restaurant - Menu is the same every day and same for lunch and dinner and have only 5 main dishes - 2 of them pasta.
Chairs in the restaurant ( fabric ) VERY dirty .
Beach is good only for snorkeling.
On the pool just a few umbrellas and always taking from early morning .
No dress cod - people come to the restaurant wearing the white bathrobes, providing by hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Loictro, Responsable Réservation at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Tanya A
First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your comment with us.
By reading your post I realize we may have failed meeting some of your expectations and I want to apologize for this.
May I ask you to take a moment to contact me directly so I can investigate further your points of disappointment?
With my best regards
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I only spent one night there prior to a cruise. Upon arrival at 7am the staff was very welcoming. They let me check in, offered me a transfer room, and told me that I would be given an upgrade from a superior lagoon view to an over-water bungalow. I was pleasantly surprised, as I am a solo traveler and not a Starwood member. Then in a very sincere voice they told me that my room would be available as soon as possible.

The transfer room offered showers, toilets, and seating area. After a quick shower and change into a bathing suit I had an ala carte breakfast (rather than the $40 buffet) in the restaurant that opens onto the gardens. I explored the lush, flowering gardens. There were garden pools full of Koi which gobbled up the left over bread and croissants thrown in by the wait staff. There is a large sandy bottom swimming pool surrounded by chaise lounge chairs and umbrellas. There is also a pool bar which offered paninis and chips. Some sort of aqua fitness program is offered, as some women did participate in that.

Retrospectively, I was very foolish to believe that my room would be ready "as soon as possible"; it wasn't ready until 1pm. So, I had plenty of time to explore the multiple seating areas inside which were comfortable enough, but there were many other people waiting to check-in so it wasn't very restful. The entire place is open, i.e. no walls or windows, so that the breezes cool the place, no A/C. Did I mention it was raining, on and off, so didn't get to use the pool too much. I checked out the atelier which took up 10 minutes of my wait.

Finally I checked into my bungalow. Wow, what can I say, but this was extra special. I was worried that after reading previous reviews that my bungalow would be full of bugs and hot. The bungalow is not constructed like a Western house, It doesn't have glass windows but unscreened wooden slatted windows. The doors and walls have lots of air and light leaks. When another rain storm passed over, the wind blew through the bungalow, and the rain blew in under the front door. But, and this is a big but, it does have wonderful A/C and as long as you keep the slats shut, I didn't have any trouble with bugs. Trust me, as bugs love me, and I didn't get bitten once.

The bungalow had a great bathroom with double vanity, huge tiled shower, and big bath tub. Lovely toiletries, plush towels, robes, and coffee pot. There was a private deck with two cushioned wooded lounge chairs. In the water I spotted multicolored fish and an octopus stalking those fish. REAL cool. And in the near distance, the waves breaking over the reef into the lagoon. Very quiet place.

That night there was a native dance party with feast. I did not participate as it was about $100 and I was quite tired from my journey. I ordered ala carte in the restaurant (the fancy place was closed for roof repairs). Dinner was not very good and unmemorable. For a fancy hotel, this was truly disappointing. In the morning I partook of the big buffet breakfast and it is not worth the money. Better off ordering coffee and the bread basket.

After check out and prior to my cruise I walked to the Museum of Tahitia and Its Islands. This was excellent and I highly recommend doing this.

Room Tip: I ended up with the bungalow by luck. But if you have the dough do it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear CarinaJean,
First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your comment with us.
I am glad you have enjoyed our nice Overwater Bungalows.
Thank you also for pointing out our staff friendliness and the Resort’s environment.
However, i am sorry to hear about how was the diner.

Best Regards,
LoIc

Been to Le Meridien Tahiti? Share your experiences!