“Loved the pool and lush grounds” 4 of 5 stars

Le Meridien Tahiti
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Tamanu | Punaauia, Papeete 97718, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Papeete
Federal Way, Washington
“Loved the pool and lush grounds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We had a one night stay here. We left our cruise ship and checked in as soon as we could in order to enjoy their amenities. The bellhop collected our bags from our cab and had them and my husband in our room before I had even finished checking in. Despite the rain, we loved the sandy bottom pool (and its weird water bikes!) and used one of their kayaks to explore the open water. The gentleman handing out towels and equipment was very polite and friendly. Even though the umbrellas are meant to provide shade, they also did a great job of keeping us and our towels dry. The grounds are lush and full of nature sounds you can enjoy from your balcony. The room itself was a good size, but our lights flickered a lot and it was full of noises. Our toilet stall door was extremely loud and I could hear weird noises as I tried to fall asleep. I think I discovered those to be from the elevator, which was odd because we were not that close to it! We also liked that there was a grocery store very close by.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Loictro, Reservation manager at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear KaelCoffey,

Thank you very much for your comment, your feedback is very important to us.

We are glad you have enjoyed your stay here in Le Méridien Tahiti.

Thank you for pointing our balcony, unique swimming pool and our staff.

Best regards,

Loic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Irvine, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

For the money we paid I expect much much more !!!!!!
Didn't really feel any service. Nobody really wanted to speak with us . Sometimes we were just ignored and were not sure we really existed. Could not to leave hotel for the 40 min. No one taxi wanted to take us.
Restaurant - Menu is the same every day and same for lunch and dinner and have only 5 main dishes - 2 of them pasta.
Chairs in the restaurant ( fabric ) VERY dirty .
Beach is good only for snorkeling.
On the pool just a few umbrellas and always taking from early morning .
No dress cod - people come to the restaurant wearing the white bathrobes, providing by hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Loictro, Responsable Réservation at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Tanya A
First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your comment with us.
At Le Meridien Tahiti we do take in consideration our guests experience feedback as this is really important to us.
By reading your post I realize we may have failed meeting some of your expectations and I want to apologize for this.
May I ask you to take a moment to contact me directly so I can investigate further your points of disappointment?
With my best regards
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I only spent one night there prior to a cruise. Upon arrival at 7am the staff was very welcoming. They let me check in, offered me a transfer room, and told me that I would be given an upgrade from a superior lagoon view to an over-water bungalow. I was pleasantly surprised, as I am a solo traveler and not a Starwood member. Then in a very sincere voice they told me that my room would be available as soon as possible.

The transfer room offered showers, toilets, and seating area. After a quick shower and change into a bathing suit I had an ala carte breakfast (rather than the $40 buffet) in the restaurant that opens onto the gardens. I explored the lush, flowering gardens. There were garden pools full of Koi which gobbled up the left over bread and croissants thrown in by the wait staff. There is a large sandy bottom swimming pool surrounded by chaise lounge chairs and umbrellas. There is also a pool bar which offered paninis and chips. Some sort of aqua fitness program is offered, as some women did participate in that.

Retrospectively, I was very foolish to believe that my room would be ready "as soon as possible"; it wasn't ready until 1pm. So, I had plenty of time to explore the multiple seating areas inside which were comfortable enough, but there were many other people waiting to check-in so it wasn't very restful. The entire place is open, i.e. no walls or windows, so that the breezes cool the place, no A/C. Did I mention it was raining, on and off, so didn't get to use the pool too much. I checked out the atelier which took up 10 minutes of my wait.

Finally I checked into my bungalow. Wow, what can I say, but this was extra special. I was worried that after reading previous reviews that my bungalow would be full of bugs and hot. The bungalow is not constructed like a Western house, It doesn't have glass windows but unscreened wooden slatted windows. The doors and walls have lots of air and light leaks. When another rain storm passed over, the wind blew through the bungalow, and the rain blew in under the front door. But, and this is a big but, it does have wonderful A/C and as long as you keep the slats shut, I didn't have any trouble with bugs. Trust me, as bugs love me, and I didn't get bitten once.

The bungalow had a great bathroom with double vanity, huge tiled shower, and big bath tub. Lovely toiletries, plush towels, robes, and coffee pot. There was a private deck with two cushioned wooded lounge chairs. In the water I spotted multicolored fish and an octopus stalking those fish. REAL cool. And in the near distance, the waves breaking over the reef into the lagoon. Very quiet place.

That night there was a native dance party with feast. I did not participate as it was about $100 and I was quite tired from my journey. I ordered ala carte in the restaurant (the fancy place was closed for roof repairs). Dinner was not very good and unmemorable. For a fancy hotel, this was truly disappointing. In the morning I partook of the big buffet breakfast and it is not worth the money. Better off ordering coffee and the bread basket.

After check out and prior to my cruise I walked to the Museum of Tahitia and Its Islands. This was excellent and I highly recommend doing this.

Room Tip: I ended up with the bungalow by luck. But if you have the dough do it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear CarinaJean,
First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your comment with us.
I am glad you have enjoyed our nice Overwater Bungalows.
Thank you also for pointing out our staff friendliness and the Resort’s environment.
However, i am sorry to hear about how was the diner.

Best Regards,
LoIc
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed here before and after a cruise to the islands of French Polynesia. The gounds are beautiful. The newly renovated room was spacious, well appointed with a beautiful bathroom. We encountered a lot of rain, but it was so nice sitting on our large balcony and enjoying the scenery.
The staff was very accomdating to our very early arrival and late departure.

The lagoon swimming is so warm and fun to swim in. It is a sand bottom and clear turquoise water.
The ocean is a few steps away with good snorkeling water.
The hotel is quiet - it is not a Las Vegas atmosphere - so relaxing.

Outside the hotel to the left is a little shopping area. There is a supermarket and a great breakfast place for coffee and patisserie and sandwiches.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Loictro, Responsable réservation at Le Meridien Tahiti, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear kjzrsz,
Thank you for sharing with us your experience at Le Meridien Tahiti.
We are glad you have enjoyed your stay in one of our newly renovated room.
Thank you for pointing out our staff attitude as well as our large rooms and balcony.
As you mentioned our resort is located by the lagoon and offers many water activities options.
With my best regards
Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Do not hesitate to stay in an overwater bungalow. Despite the almost non stop rain during our 2 night stay (waiting to fly to Bora Bora) we had a great time.
The gardens are beautifully maintained and a pleasure to look at while having breakfast.
We enjoyed a Sunday brunch. Much to my liken it included local foods as many Polynesian families attended.
The only negative might be that it is a bit out of the center of Papeete (think shopping, restaurants).

Lillestrom, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was the second time I spent a night in Tahiti, on my way to Bora Bora. The first time I stayed at the Intercontinental, which was dreadful.

The Le Meridien is situated slightly further from the airport, but the cost of a taxi only differs slightly. The night rate is 3500 XPF and the day rate is 2500 XPF.

I had booked a standard room and got a splendig view of the ocean and the rest of the resort. The over all quality of this resort is quite simply in a different league compared to the Intercontinental. Rooms were modern and clean. Appart from the shower (for some odd reason) my room was spotless. Add a very good coffee machine and a fantastic bed and you have a winner for the price. Service was good too as far as I experienced and I am sure it is great for kids and families. Lvers should head out to the islands I suppose.

The negatives are that it is packed with people in the breakfast area and they had a band playing pop songs for breakfast. It sort of pops the bubble. Also, there is no fridge in the room and only very limited shopping for soft drinks etc at the resort.

But over all you need to compare it to the alternatives in the area, and I would gladly book this again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Beautiful setting, all rooms commanding lovely views...........but this hotel leaves so much to be desired. The bedrooms are very out of date. This is justy a four star hotel, but deserves to be five star with better management and some serious investment. Disappointing.
8 of us had dinner one night, so ordinary in presentation and quality. 4 of us got our mains, the other 4 had to wait 20 minutes for theirs. And when they came, not a word of apology. Remarkable. And still waiting to be asked about tea or coffee after the meal

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Meridien Tahiti? Share your experiences!