“A touch of paradise!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Papeete
Broadbeach, Australia
“A touch of paradise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the bungalow over the water what more can I say simply beautiful! A touch of paradise, if you are in search of a relaxing holiday by the ocean this is perfect with bungalow style or rooms available at the resort! Staff were really friendly too.

• Stayed December 2011

716 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Le Meridien Tahiti as part of our honeymoon. The resort is gorgeous and in my opinion, the best resort on the island of Tahiti. We went over to the intercontinental for dinner one night, and I didn't really think too highly of that hotel.

We stayed a couple nights in the junior suite and then a couple nights in the overwater bungalow. Both were great and I would recommend both. We used our starwood points and those could not be used for the overwater bungalows, but if you book the suite like we did, and you arrive at the resort and the bungalows are free they will upgrade you for no additional charge (if you ask). I no longer have status with starwood, so it was a nice free upgrade! The overwater bungalows do not have direct access to the water, but I think because of that very reason, there are sooo many fish swimming right below the bungalows. You almost don't even need to go snorkeling to see amazing fish.

While in Tahiti we did a snorkeling trip that we went snorkeling with Humpback Whales. It was amazing. We booked it through the hotel, but there was some confusion on the booking, so we did get some of our money back (we thought we booked dolphin watching and reef snorkeling, but we only got one activity). We hiked to the inner parts of Tahiti (the hike starts at the Belvedere Restaurant). We hiked for about 5 hours and the views were amazing. We initially wanted to hire a guide, but we couldn't find one available. However, we did meet a local Tahitian on the trial. He gave us his contact information, so if anyone ever wants a local guide for hiking, let me know! And then we just hung out at the hotel on the beach and pool!

The food on Tahiti is average at best. The food trucks are fun, we tried almost all of them. The restaurants the front desk recommends is also just average. One thing we did find phenomenal was this little breakfast place that is walking distance from the hotel. When you go out of the hotel, turn left and you go into a shopping plaza, if you go past the grocery store you will see a small sandwich shop. I can't exactly remember the guys name, but he speaks perfect English. They have cheap breakfast options, or you can get a "casse cruette" which is the french bread sandwiches. My favorite was the smoked salmon sandwich -- and all the sandwiches are three dollars! Much better priced than breakfast buffet at the hotel!

I give the resort four stars instead of five just because the front desk staff was not as helpful as other resorts we have stayed at. There was a lot of confusion when you asked them anything. And they only had one check in member that spoke english well enough to talk about anything besides the standard check in.

If you go, enjoy it and I'll be sitting at work, thinking about how jealous I am that I am not there too!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Irvine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

After a long late night flight arrival this place was perfect to wake up to! We had the ovewater bungalow and the layout and amenities are beautiful. There is no access to jump off to swim from your deck on your overwater bungalows here but it's still beautiful and the pool is impressive. The breakfast buffet was great and the service as well. There is also surf to paddle to in this resort which is awesome! I highly recommend this resort in Papeete if you plan a longer stay in this island! Thank you to Geri Miller from Tahiti Discount Travel, Newport Beach, who put the perfect itinerary for us to visit 3 islands, Papeete, Huahine and Bora Bora.

Room Tip: Definitely get the overwater bungalow!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Russia, Moscow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

In this hotel I stayed four nights in March 2012 with my husband. It is really best choice in Tahiti island. My husband and I are very, very happy with our staying in hotel. Amazing and exciting dance show performing professionals every week on Fridays. Very tasty and interesting food in the restaurant decorated with views of the ocean sunsets. Good selection of drinks, fast and quality service. Prices in the hotel restaurants do not differ from the prices of cafes and restaurants on the outside. But the food at the hotel is much better and more varied. The hotel is directly on the white and sandy beach. This is the best place for a beach vacation, swimming in the sea with fins and mask. The water is very calm and quiet, no waves and no dangerous for kids swimming. The hotel consists of a main building and cottages on the water, has a large and nice pool with white sand and convenient passage into the pool. Beach umbrellas and deck chairs enough for all leisure travelers, there are free boat and kayak, other beach activities. On arrival at the reception desk lady gives two coupons for free coffee from Costa Coffee. The hotel staff are very polite, friendly and helpful. Very clean, neat hotel after a complete renovation and upgrade. It is about 10 min. by car from hotel to the island's capital Papaete with good traffic. We were pleased it is all the time. I highly recommend this hotel and I advise all travelers to stay here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This was my first of four islands I visited. As a Starwoods gold, I booked a regualr room and got a free upgrade to an overwater bungalow. That was a great start to my dream vacation. The view was amazing, the hotel was really clean, the room was spacious and luxurious, etc. The only negative I can say is that if you missed the bus to/from Papeete, it was a 3500XPF cab ride. But as far as the hotel itself, I am really hoping to return as soon as I can :D

Room Tip: If you go to town, don't miss the 200XPF bus or you will be stuck with a 3500XPF cab ride
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Keystone, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I booked a 3-night stay in an overwater bungalow at Le Meridien, Tahiti before departing on a 13-day cruise. Even though we are Platinum SPG, we could not use StarPoints for the bungalows. My wife requested a bungalow facing Moorea and not next to the beach. After a long day of flying from CO, we arrived at Le Meridien. We arranged ahead of time with Le Meridien to be met at the airport and shuttled to the hotel. We would highly recommend you do this also. The SPG podium was not staffed at 11:00 p.m., but check-in was polite and professional. We were assigned #809 and unpacked. At 3:00 a.m. I was awakened by what I thought was a rain squall, except it seemed to last a long time. I got up and turned on a light only to find a water line had ruptured and our unit was awash in water. I later thought how dumb to turn on a light when the voltage is 220. The front desk was called and we were assigned another bungalow. Help was offered to move, but since we were unpacked we moved ourselves. What I found most disappointing was we were never contacted by management about this incident and no adjustment was offered until we asked at checkout, and then one dinner was comp'd.

We had recommended Le Meridien to 2 other couples, who also reserved. The 6 of us arranged a day prior, on the recommendations of the concierge, to take a van tour of the island the following day. That day, while we were waiting for the van, we were told that the van had broken down and no viable alternative was offered.

The included continental breakfast (Platinum amenity) was quite good with nice variety, especially the fresh fruit. The grounds were well maintained and the pool with sand beach was beautifully designed. One of our couples stayed in #331 and the attached patio was huge with comfortable furniture. Our bungalow was in good repair, with the exception noted. One thing was a bit incongruous as during the heat of the day the a/c couldn't keep up. The reason was the louvered windows, with one exception, didn't have glass. I think once adjusted to the humidity, one wouldn't need the a/c.

The proximity to a small shopping center w/i walking distance was a plus. (See Chez Remy restaurant.) You did need to take a taxi into Papeete. We didn't try the bus.

Would we stay here again? Probably, but we'd look more carefully at our alternatives.

Room Tip: Sunsets can be spectacular-request a bungalow looking toward Moorea. Friends were in #331 with a hug...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

There's much to like at Le Meridien Tahiti including it's pretty, quiet setting, outstanding food, spacious rooms, friendly staff. I'd never been in a pool with a sandy bottom; it felt more like a place to play than to swim and the spin class (in the pool!) with loud music didn't invite lingering.
The location won't work for those who want to walk to Papeete, but I'm no fan of the city, so that was fine with me. It's a good base for exploring the island and don't miss the Musee de Tahiti et ses Iles which is an easy walk.

Is this a 4 star resort? By American standards, probably not. There's a "tired" feel and some things I expected like comfortable chairs on the balcony, a screen door to let the lovely air inside etc. were missing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Le Meridien Tahiti? Share your experiences!