“mike and kay and staying at teamo hostel papeete.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Teamo Hostel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Papeete
Teamo Hostel
You added Teamo Hostel to your Saves list
8 Rue du Pont Neuf, Papeete, French Polynesia   |
Pahoa, Hawaii
“mike and kay and staying at teamo hostel papeete.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

this was my first trip to tahiti, the second trip for my travel partner and the peewee, 6yrs old. we called from home in hawaii, mike and kay remembered martha ... so it was a reunion of sorts.
i must say that we didn't reconnect the week before we got there so lost our room reservations(note they will reserve rooms but make the confirmation call!) mike is a wonderful guy of the old school tough worker type, he's actually very well educated. kay his wife and partner is a lawyer and both speak very good english. they will assist with many things you may want to do in papeete and/or getting ready to leave for other island destinations. location is very close to downtown making it very convenient to get things done. they do not serve food but many local syle restaurants are in the area. internet is via manaspot which the hostel is a very strong spot. the card is like 20 bux for 10 hrs and a 90 day window of use. not much free internet in papeete!
they do have dormitory style, which is what we did for 2 notes til a room opened up ... we lived! there is a strs up the street with the basics, french bread and pastries.
the prices were more than reasonable ... it was very clean and a bit like a 'habitrail' where different floor levels can be mischievous in the middle of the night trips to the boys room! a secure lock up cage is available for like 3 bux a day.
the airport to the hostel was 35bux approx. xpf i gave the guy 40 and was happy about it.
oooo yes, no tipping in tahiti/french polynesia ... i think its part of the reason meals take 2-3 hrs!
be ready to sit back and relax
all in all its a place where i felt comfortable and safe and we go back there in 2+ weeks when we head to sydney via papeete.

Room Tip: just relax and enjoy the experience, its not the ritz and its not the ritz prices, trust me you'...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Berlin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

The hostel is quit - that is the only nice thing I can say.

The owner is very suspicious: I did not get a key, only get a blanket on request. the place is dark and dull. the matraze are horribly old and worn out. There was only on nice one a little upstairs in the dorm, I was not allowed to take it ("only for couples" - but it was tiny (like 1,15m to small for couples).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Stayed in the dorm room for 1 night only.

Location: aprox 10 minutes drive from the airport (taxis charge an outrageous 1,500-2000 for that - so share with others) and a 5 minute walk, from the ferry port. If you're travelling onwards to nearby islands, then try to make most of the morning market and Carrefour here for supplies, first. We found produce was fresh and more affordable than Mo'orea for instance.

Room is basic - bunk beds with bottom sheet cover. It was so hot, with no fan, ventilation or AC (remote taken away) but after asking, the owner kindly switched it on for us. No mosquito nets or top sheet - so particularly latter, bring your own.

We didn't use the kitchen, but it looked well equipped and traveller friendly.

Bathroom is basic, privacy not ideal through loose curtain - hot shower though.

All as you'd expect from a dorm, wouldn't go so far as to agree its 'legendary' or 'wonderful' (though puppies were!). Cheapest option we found and felt relatively safe so would recommend in terms of price and location, for short and flight connection stopovers.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Owner Kay and daughter were truly hospitable and we have high praise for this little hostel ten minutes walk from the waterfront. Our second floor room was quiet and comfortable. When we needed assistance and recommendations, they were readily provided, along with help in making tour arrangements. We stayed there before and after our Paul Gauguin cruise... and when we discovered our luggage was overweight, they provided a box and shipped it home for us (at our expense, of course). When transiting Papeete for the islands, you only need to think Teamo Hostel if friendly service and simple, comfortable arrangements are the order of the day.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Delta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

When I came to French Polynesia I largely followed the advice of others: get out of Papeete and onto the other more beautiful islands as quick as possible. It is also within walking distance of the ferry terminal. In this way, Teamo works great. It is more of a South American style hostel in terms of its cleanliness, but also in terms of its price. I searched long and hard and found nothing that approached the price of its dorm rooms. For this reason only, I would stay again, but only in transit to or from other places in French Polynesia.

• Stayed May 2013
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

For a normal traveller Teamo Hostel is just the only option to stay over in Papeete, the price is around 21.50 EUR per night, whereas other hostels are around 70 EUR.

In the general uncomfortable and expensive situation of Tahiti, Teamo Hostel was a relief for me. I loved the atmosphere of the hostel, I found really nice the guy who lives below the roof in the dorm (Robert), I loved the huge and soft cats who were all around me while cooking albacore in the kitchen.

The facilities are good, and the hostel is very well located in the center of Papeete. The only not very good thing, the hostel is a bit dirty, but I didn’t mind, I found much dirtier places in the world.

In my mind, this place is still associated with a feeling of adventure, maybe because I saw it as the only ‘safe place’ among expensive and exhausting French Polynesia; or, more probably, because of the highly interesting travelers I met there. Tahiti in the past has been a meeting point for travelers and wanderers, among them also some legendary or important people (Fletcher Christian, Robert Louis Stevenson, Somerset Maugham, Paul Gauguin, just to say a few names): I like to think that if still unknown legendary people of nowadays would meet somewhere in Tahiti, this would be in a place like Teamo Hostel rather than in a five stars expensive hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Berkeley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I have been living in French Polynesia for 2.5 months and I have found every place I have been to to be amazing however this place has really dampened the trip. The woman who owns the place is terrible and tries to cheat you out of everything. She is extremely rude, unaccommodating and dishonest. The place is dirty and smells bad most of the time, the beds are dirty. It is within walking distance to the main part of town however if you make one bad turn at night you will end up in some very sketchy areas. If you plan on going out for just a night in Papeete and just need a place to sleep it might be worth it because it is cheap but any more than that I would advise spending a little more for a better place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Teamo Hostel? Share your experiences!