“'Cheap' Papeete dorm: ideal location for late/ early flights & ferry departures.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Teamo Hostel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Papeete
Teamo Hostel
You added Teamo Hostel to your Saves list
8 Rue du Pont Neuf, Papeete, French Polynesia   |
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Stayed in the dorm room for 1 night only.

Location: aprox 10 minutes drive from the airport (taxis charge an outrageous 1,500-2000 for that - so share with others) and a 5 minute walk, from the ferry port. If you're travelling onwards to nearby islands, then try to make most of the morning market and Carrefour here for supplies, first. We found produce was fresh and more affordable than Mo'orea for instance.

Room is basic - bunk beds with bottom sheet cover. It was so hot, with no fan, ventilation or AC (remote taken away) but after asking, the owner kindly switched it on for us. No mosquito nets or top sheet - so particularly latter, bring your own.

We didn't use the kitchen, but it looked well equipped and traveller friendly.

Bathroom is basic, privacy not ideal through loose curtain - hot shower though.

All as you'd expect from a dorm, wouldn't go so far as to agree its 'legendary' or 'wonderful' (though puppies were!). Cheapest option we found and felt relatively safe so would recommend in terms of price and location, for short and flight connection stopovers.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Owner Kay and daughter were truly hospitable and we have high praise for this little hostel ten minutes walk from the waterfront. Our second floor room was quiet and comfortable. When we needed assistance and recommendations, they were readily provided, along with help in making tour arrangements. We stayed there before and after our Paul Gauguin cruise... and when we discovered our luggage was overweight, they provided a box and shipped it home for us (at our expense, of course). When transiting Papeete for the islands, you only need to think Teamo Hostel if friendly service and simple, comfortable arrangements are the order of the day.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Delta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

When I came to French Polynesia I largely followed the advice of others: get out of Papeete and onto the other more beautiful islands as quick as possible. It is also within walking distance of the ferry terminal. In this way, Teamo works great. It is more of a South American style hostel in terms of its cleanliness, but also in terms of its price. I searched long and hard and found nothing that approached the price of its dorm rooms. For this reason only, I would stay again, but only in transit to or from other places in French Polynesia.

• Stayed May 2013
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

For a normal traveller Teamo Hostel is just the only option to stay over in Papeete, the price is around 21.50 EUR per night, whereas other hostels are around 70 EUR.

In the general uncomfortable and expensive situation of Tahiti, Teamo Hostel was a relief for me. I loved the atmosphere of the hostel, I found really nice the guy who lives below the roof in the dorm (Robert), I loved the huge and soft cats who were all around me while cooking albacore in the kitchen.

The facilities are good, and the hostel is very well located in the center of Papeete. The only not very good thing, the hostel is a bit dirty, but I didn’t mind, I found much dirtier places in the world.

In my mind, this place is still associated with a feeling of adventure, maybe because I saw it as the only ‘safe place’ among expensive and exhausting French Polynesia; or, more probably, because of the highly interesting travelers I met there. Tahiti in the past has been a meeting point for travelers and wanderers, among them also some legendary or important people (Fletcher Christian, Robert Louis Stevenson, Somerset Maugham, Paul Gauguin, just to say a few names): I like to think that if still unknown legendary people of nowadays would meet somewhere in Tahiti, this would be in a place like Teamo Hostel rather than in a five stars expensive hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Berkeley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I have been living in French Polynesia for 2.5 months and I have found every place I have been to to be amazing however this place has really dampened the trip. The woman who owns the place is terrible and tries to cheat you out of everything. She is extremely rude, unaccommodating and dishonest. The place is dirty and smells bad most of the time, the beds are dirty. It is within walking distance to the main part of town however if you make one bad turn at night you will end up in some very sketchy areas. If you plan on going out for just a night in Papeete and just need a place to sleep it might be worth it because it is cheap but any more than that I would advise spending a little more for a better place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We spent our first night in Papeete in the mixed dorm room (facing the rising sun). First impressions were not good. There were 3 bunk beds and one attic type bed up a ladder and the room felt old and grimey. One the plus side we had it to ourselves and there was hot water. The ac was not working and no fan provided which left for a hot restless night. The room became unbearable as the sun rose, luckily we were leaving early. We did return 10 days later after travelling through the islands, this time we opted to spend more and take a double private room. The first room - no.20 - was huge and had ac/tv/fridge. We were moved the next night as this room was booked to a smaller but still homey room - no 13 - with ac/fridge/tv and a large closed bathroom. Both of the double rooms were clean and well maintained and cost $75 per night as opposed to $27 pp in the dorm. The kitchen facilities were adequate but the communal area at the front is a little dreary and a mossie haunt. I would stay again in a double room, but do not reccommend the dorm room unless there is a paint job/spruce up. The owners were helpful and friendly and did store our gear for a reasonable fee while we visited the other islands.

Room Tip: Room 13 or 20 - double ensuite private
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

If you do not want to spend a lot of money, this is definitely the best deal. My friend and I stayed in the women's dorm. The dorm apparently has 2 permanent residents, one of which has insomnia and Is up and down (it seems) all night long. She also turns the light on in your face.

The staff is helpful, although English is somewhat limited at times and will do whatever they can to help you. The owners' daughter is very fluent in English. I am from Fla. so roaches would not bother me and I did not see any. I will be back to Teamo with my next visit.

Room Tip: The individual rooms are not very expensive and would be best for a couple or family.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Teamo Hostel? Share your experiences!