“reasonable for staying one night in Papetee” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Tahiti Nui
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue du Prince Hinoi, Papeete, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Papeete
Bratislava, Slovakia
“reasonable for staying one night in Papetee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The only bad surprise was the quality of breakfast in particular when compared to the quality of dinner served in the same restaurant as well as compared to other hotels in Tahiti and French Polynesia.

Room Tip: I received free upgrade to junior suite that is said not to face the street and more quite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Great place to stay pre or post cruise if you are looking for value. Close to piers. Area of town is not the best but seemed safe during the day. Restaurant also good value for dinner but not for breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra ACT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We spent 2 nights pre & post cruise in February. It is really well situated as is close to the crusie ships embarkation point as well as the city and restaurants.
For French Polynesia the charge is very reasonable and the price includes the internet ( with a French keyboard) in a Business centre next to Reception.
We did not eat at the restaurant as we purchased breakfast and lunch from the Mini Mart next to the Hotel.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful.
The hallways are very dark and humid.
The Hotel does not provide black tea or milk. The tea provided is every other variety but black!
The airconditioning is very, very effective and the rooms become quite chilly.
if you are walking down to the wharf to catch your cruise,it is an easy walk . However ,there are a number of places where you will need to lift your case up and down the steps to continue on the pavement.
The food vans at the water from 6pm are good value and very popular with locals as well.
Overall we were very happy with the Hotel Tahiti Nui and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms 317 & 417 have a balcony on one side and a large glass window to the mountains on the othe...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelowna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed here for one night pre-cruise. Very convenient to cruise check in as this was at the city hall only a short stroll (with luggage) away. 5 - 10 minute walk to the cruise terminal itself. Several decent local restaurants. Little bit of a sketchy area surrounding the hotel but we had no problems.

The hotel lobby is huge and largely empty. Check in was fast and efficient. The room was 2 level with a sitting room/ kitchen on the entry level and with the bed/ bath on the level above. Small balcony looking onto a busy street and a run down apartment opposite. Quiet enough with doors closed. AC worked well. Kitchen was strange as there were some dishes etc but no towels or soap. Comfortable bed. Clean with all appliances working. Lighting in the hall way was provided by small blue lights that provided little actual illumination.

Kindly let us use the pool and shower after checkout as well as the Wifi (which worked in the lobby only). Even provided towels! Nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I am sure this hotel was very nice at some point but it defiantly hasn't been maintained. We had a 2 bedroom suite and my parents had a regular room a few floors down. Our suite was okay but lots of things didn't work. The shower in one room was broken and the AC in one room didn't work and literally had no control pad. It was clean-ish as there were dead bugs around the window etc and they were big bugs. We were traveling with our 2 children so these things matter when you have a toddler with you. My parents had similar issues in their room as their phone didn't even work for a wake up call. The business center printer didn't work either so that was pretty useless for printing boarding passes. I am glad we only stayed the one night for an early flight the next day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We arrived by ship and checked into the Hotel Tahiti Nui which is not far from the port area. As we were only staying one extra day, we decided against staying at an ocean-side resort but rather wanted to be near the downtown area. The hotel was perfectly located. It is new, modern and had all the amenities. We had been advised to get a mountain-side room rather than be on the street side where there might be traffic noises. The hotel is new, modern and has all the amenities desired. Free internet access is in all of the rooms but can only be via ethernet cord however, free wi-fi is in the lobby. The resturant looked OK but we didn't eat there. The full downtown area with shopping, resturants and the "roulettes" (food trucks) is only a very short walk away. Additionally, we were able to get a taxi to the airport for a reasonble fee (about U$20) which is only about 10 minutes away.

Room Tip: get a mountain-side room rather than be on the street side where there might be traffic noises
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I flew into Papeete after a long travel period and arrived at the hotel at 11 pm. I was greeted at the desk and received my room key in a short time. I was not asked if I needed help with my bags, but was able to handle them on my own. Once I got to my room, it was clean and looked similar to the pictures I had seen on the hotel's website. I had been worried about the noise level due to other reviews, but had no trouble sleeping at all. My room was facing the pool. It was a standard room and was spacious and modern. The bathroom was clean and I did not experience any problems with the showers, which I had been concerned about due to someone else's previous review. I was happy in the room, especially after such a long flight.
I would have given the service a higher number, but in the short time I was there did not have much interaction. I felt that they were not very helpful in setting up a tour or giving advice about what to do. They told me about one company in which he takes you to see a waterfall, but then shortly afterwards said that the guy was temporarily out of business. The other suggestion was given by the front desk grabbing a random brochure and reading over it to me. This was not very helpful. I also would have liked them to show in the room or at front desk further advertisement about classes offered through the gym. On two occasions I saw from my room an aqua aerobics class going on and would have attended if I had known about it. There was nothing posted in the gym or spa. When I went into the pool it was very cold and wish it had been heated. There was no jacuzzi tub. The gym was good with the exception that the assistant did not turn on the a/c unit so when I was working out it took awhile for the a/c to cool the room. In addition the assistant said that someone lost the remote to the 3 flat screen tvs in the gym a couple of days ago. I was frustrated that they had not replaced it or figured out a way around this.
I liked the location as it was close to the ferry to Moorea and also to the cruise port. I would suggest not bothering to pay for transport to the cruise boati. I did ahead of time, but then simply walked the 2 blocks rather than waiting to get picked up. The night life was non-existent on a Tuesday night. It was dark in the streets and I was nervous walking alone even though the front desk person said it was safe. I was surprised the hotel restaurant closed early and the bar does not serve any food. I walked to where the cruise ships are and there were street vans with food. The food was very expensive for street food and not that great. There was a convenience store/gas station next to the hotel but that closes early as well.
Overall I think for a solo traveler staying in Papeete 2 nights that this is a great hotel. If you are looking for beautiful views and the traditional huts then you will have to go further from the airport I believe or to Moorea. The hotel is close to the local market which was fun to explore. The trip to Moorea was the highlight of Tahiti!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Tahiti Nui? Share your experiences!