“Pathetic! Bad, rubbish, horrible!” 1 of 5 stars

Best Western Suva Motor Inn
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   Gorrie and Mitchell Streets, Suva, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Suva
Townsville, Australia
“Pathetic! Bad, rubbish, horrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed in 308. Went with my wife and mother -in law (73 yrs old), no lift, so mother - in law. Hada tough time walking up four flights of stairs. Step from bathroom to passage of about 1.5 cm, matching tiles meant difficult to see and she tripped and hurt her knee. Asked for a ground for room and the wonderfull ladies promised to speak to the manager and advise us the next day, nothing happened.
Toilet bowl 3/4 full and when I complained was told that's how it is.
Fridge, microwave and stove were filthy.
Room smelled of mould / musky so could not sleep. TV reception was bad and general finishing of facility was bad with unfinished tiliing. A place I would not stay here ever again and if anyone vet asks my opinion I would definitely discourage them.

Room Tip: Stay some where else, this place sucks.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kelera, Resident Manager at Best Western Suva Motor Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Donovan S

Warm greetings from the BEST WESTERN Suva Motor Inn. Thank you for your comments and appreciate you taking time to highlight matters that you were not happy with. I do apologize for not meeting your expectations. The hotel is going through a renovation program, and it is one of the reasons why you have noticed some unfinished tiling in the corridors. We have a limited number of 2bedroom apartments and they are on the 2nd floor and above. We were to accommodate your requests as the occupants of the apartments on the lower floors did not agree to move. Also our ground floor studio rooms were occupied as we were looking at moving your family into 2 studio rooms.Again the occupants did not want to move. Our toilet system is of the marine type and is used in many top hotels in the Pacific and Asian areas. We would like to have you back some day with your family so that we can show you that we deserve your patronage. Thank you. Kelera Ratumaiyale, Manager, BEST WESTERN Suva Motor Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Furniture is very old and rooms are quite big but without any charme. Matress of bed damaged. Staff is not very helpful (especially compared with the usual fijian hospitality). Restaurant and swimming pool ok. There is not much around the hotel. The city is not far but a taxi is necessary (at least at night).

!! Be sure to double check your reservation directy with the hotel before your arrival. We arrived and they did not have our reservation (they found it some hours later) but we were Lucky and got the last room. The couple after us did not have the same chance : they had to leave without any room...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kelera, Manager at Best Western Suva Motor Inn, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear MillieMillieR,

Thank you for your comments, it was appreciative and we do apologise for the experience that you went through.

Please be advised that we will have new furniture brought in as early as July.

We once again apologise for the inconvenience you had experienced. It will always be our pleasure to host you again on your next trip.

Kelera Ratumaiyale

- microwave
- toilet & bath shower.
- Some rooms have a (Narrow) balcony
- Quick to check-in.
- Wifi is poor on the 2nd levels and up. Could only get a decent signal on ground floor near the entrance.
There is no lift, so good luck walking up the stair cases & you are not scared of heights. I was always concerned that the kids might fall.
The pool is small but deep with a slide that kids will love. CAUTION its very slippery around the pool area, alot of people slipped and the pool closes around 6pm.
- No laundry facilities for guests.
- It takes forever for them to cook your food at the mini restaurant they have. So skip it and go to town for food.
- The Housekeeping people were friendly, always smiling.
- Excellent Location. Near Night clubs & restaurants.
- Mosquito's galore, best remedy are those Mosquito Coils, about FJD $2 for like 5. Its an incense burner to repel mosquitoes. DOES THE JOB.

Room Tip: 2 Bedroom Apartments are ideal for families. TV signal is some what poor, I suggest you bring a port...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Kelera, Manager at Best Western Suva Motor Inn, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear WaiYuKumNao,
Thank you for taking your time in highlighting your concerns and for your comments.
I sincerely apologize for the inopportune experience. Currently our Wi-Fi signal on all levels of the hotel has improved. This was after the technicians have upgraded their services. It was unfortunate that you found having no lift to be a problem but know that we always try our best in accommodating our guests who would not be able to climb the stairs by lodging them at our ground rooms. We are always taking precautionary measures making sure that our guests are safe, especially when using the pool, which is why we do close the pool at 6pm to avoid accidents that might be beyond our control. We apologize that we do not contain laundry facilities at the hotel, but there is a Laundry Service company that does our guest laundry from Monday to Sunday, whereby, guest laundry are taken in the morning and brought back in the afternoon.
We would like to thank you for appreciating the value of our staff.
It will always be our pleasure to host you again on your next trip.
Vinaka,
Kelera Ratumaiyale.
Resident Manager.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Our two bedroom suite, with a balcony overlooking Albert Park, also had a large lounge, a dining area, all comfortably furnished, and a kitchenette which was well equipped. The bathroom had a large supply of linens. All areas were very clean. Staff members were all very friendly and efficient and were anxious to make our stay a pleasant and memorable one.

The restaurant had a varied menu with daily specials and the food was tasty, large portions and reasonable prices.There is ample on site parking but since the hotel is conveniently located, we did not use our car but instead walked to see the local sights and attractions.

For some people, lack of an elevator may present a problem -- it didn't for us plus they do have porters. We felt it was very good value for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Albert Park. Some rooms overlook the swimming pool and they may be noisy...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Kelera, Manager at Best Western Suva Motor Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Azulferro

Thank you very much for the good comments on the good value for the price paid about the rooms at the BEST WESTERN Suva Motor Inn.
We do appreciate and value all that you have described about our hotel, including our restaurant menu and friendly staff and we would love to have you again as our guests in the future.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I wish I had of read tripadvisor before we checked into this this hotel! Honestly, I left crying and tired due to having been checked into a room with bedbugs! I awoke up at 1am to see bed bugs crawling on my pillow!!! I woke my boyfriend up and we went to reception and asked to changed rooms, in which we were moved. We were so paranoid and disgusted that we did not get any sleep at all! I had bites on me. On trying to find out where they were coming form, i stripped the bed and seen that there were holes in the mattress (in which they had tried to fumigate them out), for the record.....THIS MATTRESS NEEDS TO BE THROWN OUT!!!!

On checking out in the morning, the receptionist didnt even say anything, and because of this I asked to speak with the manager! The manager, appologised, and DID NOT refund the room! I actually couldnt belive it! She did however refund our breakfast (my boyfriend had bacon which tasted like fish, which in effect could not be eaten and the same with the eggs) and they also refunded a bottle of water and a beer that we had the night before! That totalled $15 AUD! This to me was unacceptable! The room should have been the first thing refunded in my opinion! And then on our departure, she asked me not to write a review about my experiences!!!!!!! AND this is exactly what I am doing!!

I would never stay here again and I willnot be recommeding this to anyone, and will be writing to Lonely Planet!! I expect a response from the hotel and I certaintly expect my credit card to be refunded to the full amount of the room!!!

Sadly Im rating this as a terrible experience! I just hope I did not bring back bed bugs to my own home!!!!!!! Very unprofessional!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has had NO BED BUGS!!!! Strip the bed, scan the walls and look at the mattress...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelera, Manager at Best Western Suva Motor Inn, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Ms.Munyagoesflying

Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to highlight your concerns.

I sincerely apologise for your recent experience. During your stay you would have noticed that we were upgrading our walkways, restaurant and pool area. This is part of the upgrading project that we are carrying out for our hotel. Also as part of this program we were carrying out block by block replacement of furniture and fittings, renovation of facilities and fumigation of all our hotel rooms by a new pest control company. Unfortunately your room was in one of the blocks that we were yet to renovate and fumigate. Since your stay we have had the pest control company fumigate this room and had the beddings and linen destroyed. Our current renovation project includes new furniture in the rooms and this will include new mattresses.

I apologise that you found the refund made on your meals and beverages unacceptable and as such, we will be refunding your one night accommodation. We sincerely apologise for the receptionist's inappropriate response to your plight during your stay.

We hope that you will be visiting us soon to sample our newly renovated rooms.

Kelera Ratumaiyale
RESIDENT MANAGER
Nadi, Fiji
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay there because it was affordable and we have been going there for a long time. We actually know the staff and they know our kids. Sometime within the last year this hotel came under the management of Best Western and since then it has gone down hill. I have noticed bites on me but the last time that we stayed with our 3 kids we actually could see the bed bugs crawling the mattresses and the walls. It has been our worst experience in Fiji so far. My husband had to stay up all night checking me and the kids for bugs and had to kill them as he found them. It was disgusting. We recommend anyone that is planning on staying there to find a different hotel. We even told them about what happened and they still did not refund the payment made. We wrote a letter to the management and we are still waiting for their response. The staff there are good people so nothing against them we noticed the changes after it came under Best Western.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kelera, Manager at Best Western Suva Motor Inn, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Giovanna H,

We sincerly apologize for your recent experience to you and your family on your one night stay with us.
Thank you for taking the time to let us know. We have done everything possible to eradicate this bed bug issue from the room that you stayed in and also from our hotel.
We have changed to a pest control company who services our rooms to the highest standard.
Thank you for taking the time to write to management and we apologize for the delay in responding as I was not given this letter. We have since fixed this problem and disciplined the staff concerned, I would have made an effort to meet you if I had known soon. As guests your comments are taken seriously as this allows us to improve our services. As such we will refund one nights stay with us to the credit card that was used to pay for your accommodation. Thank you and we hope to welcome you back to our Best Western Suva Motor Inn Hotel.
Kelera Ratumaiyale, Manager, BEST WESTERN Suva Motor Inn.
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Hotel had large room with good air conditioning.
Water slide to the pool would be great for kids.
Hotel restaurant served some really excellent food, especially the pancakes!
It was in a good location in Suva which was easy to get around.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Kelera, Manager at Best Western Suva Motor Inn, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear AHyland 7614

Thank you very much for the good comments, it was very much appreciated.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our BEST WESTERN Suva Motor Inn hotel on your next trip to Fiji.

Kelera Ratumaiyale, Manager, BEST WESTERN Suva Motor Inn Hotel.

Been to Best Western Suva Motor Inn? Share your experiences!