“Hotel is fine for business” 3 of 5 stars

Tanoa Plaza Suva
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Gordon & Malcolm Street, Suva, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Suva
Adelaide Australia
“Hotel is fine for business”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I was in Suva for business and a group of us stayed here for 5 nights.

The check in process went reasonably well given we arrived quite late and there were 5 of us.

The room was a reasonable size although in a couple of areas it was starting to look tired, although it had a new flat screen TV. The fridge had been turned off, so no cold drinks and the room was warm as the air conditioners are individual room units. The air conditioner was effective however it was noisy - the rest of the group also commented on this. The bed was comfortable enough and had slept well to the drone of the air conditioner.

There were a few insects in the room which didn't cause any issue.

The only meals we had at the hotel was breakfast and the food was fine.

The lizard mentioned in an earlier review is still in the hotel, it was seen running up the wall in the restaurant one morning.

Most nights we met in the bar before we went out to dinner and one of the highlights was the 3 musicians singing harmonies to their guitars & ukuleles, best of what we saw. Quite enjoyed sitting and listening after a long day

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Tanoaplaza, General Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Bula Vinaka Dreamtime_2007,

I personally wanted to say thankyou very much for your review. With our feedback, I was able to get my housekeeping team go through the concerned areas that you have highlighted, and we will work towards improvements and changes.
Also, wanted to mention, with the increased frequency of our fumigation, I have recalled our pest control company to revisit all this areas based on the reviews, this is definitely an on-going process that I will continue to focus on.
I enjoyed reading the last comment on your review, having inhouse serenaders makes a huge difference in our Zest Bar, they normally play from Monday to Friday at 6pm-9pm.They have amazing voices and when they harmonize, its beautiful. So, its definitely a place to be, after a hard day's work.
Once again Dream_2007, thankyou for your review, if you happen to return back to Suva, please do let me know, I will be happy to update your on the works carried out after I received your review.

Mere Rakoroi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Falls Church, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

I was booked into the hotel from 8 - 13 December 2011. The check in process went well and I was happy with the room standard. The food served in the restaurant was limited but when I ate there it was always good quality. Unfortunately two incidents spoiled the whole stay and one related to security.

On the morning of 10 Dec at around 7:30 the interconnecting door was opened from the adjacent room by one of their staff. They apologised but none-the-less this is not a good look and one wonders why this was done. The follow on from this was a loud party going on the whole day in the adjacent room with load banging on the door including at one stage my room. They all departed around 4:30 pm and I saw them out on the street trying to get taxis.

Not sure I would stay there again due to this issue as security is important to me.

P.S. The lift call buttons on Level 8 are reversed. Not sure why their staff didn't pick this up. If you push the down button the lift arrives, the doors close, reopen then close again before descending. If you press the up button the lift operates as expected before you descend.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Tanoaplaza, General Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this review, February 19, 2012
Bula Vinaka Srburges,

Thankyou for your review on Tripadvisor, I appreciate the time you have taken to tell us more about your experience at the hotel. It is very sad to hear this happen to you, I have addressed this matter by carry out internal training with our maids, receptions, porters and hotel security and assure you that we will work towards better improvement for my staff development.

For the lifts, it is operational now, we are undergoing servicing every month for the lift doors etc, and even liaising with our Overseas technicians for future upgrades.

Overrall Sryburges, we always welcome you back to Plaza, I believe in changes and so does my staff, if you are Planning a trip to Suva, please dont hesiate to contact me, will be great to catch up.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I conducted a business conference for 5 days at the hotel and I must say, I have seen better.
The hotel is short staffed and you find a lot of people running around to get the work done.
Conference facilities were adequate but hygine was a key concern. The Room had cockroaches which despite the efforts of the hotel staff just kept on coming.
Not the best in the range, prefer Holiday Inn for business.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Bula Vinaka Hermant_i,

Thankyou for your review on tripadvisor, and the time taken to tell us more about your experiences. Wanted to share with you, that I am very suprised to read that the hotel is short staffed, will be great to know more from you on via my email address as to when & where was this experienced and lastly, we do take Hygiene practice very seriously, we get the rooms, conferences, public areas, offices etc furmigrated every month and definitely a work in progress for us. But we will still focus on the areas mentioned above.
Thankyou again Hermant_i, if you return back to Suva, will be great to catch up with you on the outcomes of the Review and the Improvements we have made.

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I was in Suva for a conference so stayed here for a week. I took the executive room on the top floor which gave me more room for me to engage in my cat swinging activity and when I saw the size of my colleague's standard room, I'm so pleased I did! I definitely wouldn't stay in a standard room if you suffered from clautrophobia at all!

My room was great with a spacious bathroom with a bath with a view. The water pressure was fine apart form in the morning when it dribbled out, I suspect because everyone else was having a shower at the same time!

I shared my room with a lizard which I didn't mind at all, if it was a cockroach, teha twould have been a different story! The fumigated my room during my stay and the smell certainly drove me out of my room! Unfortunately, I didn't see my tame lizard again after this so I hope he escaped that ordeal!

The internet was expensive here at $8 an hour or $40 for the day! I stay in hotels all over hte world and this would be one of hte most expensive rates!

Breakfast at $31 wasn't cheap so the first couple of days, I went to a local restaurant which was a third the price but unforturtunately, it also came with sandflies so gave up on that place and resigned myself to paying for brekky at the hotel.

Unfortunately, I went to the conference every day so didn't have the opportunity to avail myself of the pool there!

Would I stay here again? Possibly but never in one of their standard rooms.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the rooms on the top floor!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Bula Vinaka RayC888,

I take this time to thankyou for your review on tripadvisor, i read through and loved your choice of the Executive Suites, we only have 4 rooms of that kind and indeed it is very spacious and has its own balcony and great view of the harbour. Whereas, in our Superior & Deluxe Rooms, its smaller in size, but it certainly does cater for business travellers staying closer to the City.
For the Furmiation, we do carry this out monthly, not only in rooms, but in public areas, and in our offices, inorder to maintain a pest- free environment for everyone.
Unfortunately, our Internet charges are still the same, Just late december we have upgraded these particular service, it has working very well. And for the Breakfast, we got new menus coming up shortly, more varieties to choose from at reasonable price.
Once again RayC888, Vinaka Vakalevu for your review, I am looking forward to seeing you soon, please dont hesitate to contact myself for more information.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

We booked 5 rooms with Tanoa in April and are sad to say that Tanoa didn't not live up to it's reputation.
On our first night we checked in and went out for breakfast the next morning only to return to find items had been stolen from our room. We later found out that the hotel staff had given access to our room to the make up artist we were using for the day. Who does that without the consent of the occupants?
We did not get our stolen items back, however we felt very insecure in that room.
The second day while we were all out for lunch, we came back to find out that our rooms had been given away to others and that we had to check out! This was due to an error the checkin staff made. We had prepaid for 4 nights accommodation for 4 rooms and 2 nights for one room. and they had put down 2 nights for all 5. They weren't apologetic and simply told us to check out.
We eventually checked out and were promised a free nights stay by Mere (I think she was the manager at the time), but till this day we have not heard any further, despite my husband and his family in Fiji sending multiple emails in regards to this.

Overall the experience was quite bad. Room was tidy and clean, however a paint job is required. Lighting is very poor. The location of the toilet in the bathroom is shocking. right over the wash basin! how do you expect to wash your face without touching the toilet?

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Tanoaplaza, Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Bula Vinaka NuzSubs,

Thankyou for taking the time to tell us about your April 2011 Experience. I had the privilege of dealing with your booking 8 months ago, and with the matters you have raised, l am happy to give a responde to it.

Upon receiving bookings, we encourage our Guests to take up the 10Stay Free Program offered throughout our Tanoa Hotels, where you can Stay 10 nights and get One Night Free. This Program requires no Promises, because the "Free Night" is the Reward you get.

For your Free Night request, an email was sent across to you from our Hotel on April 30, ref no:591906 confirming your Reservations for Tanoa International Hotel Nadi, but since this was not utilized, we are happy to wait and hear from you, as to when you wish to use your Complimentary Night.

I was so grateful you have raised the issue of Stolen Items with me, I have gone directly to our Tourist Police Unit based in Suva, as cases such as this, should be handled by Law Enforcement & for our Hotel Policy, we at Tanoa Hotels believe in Training and Development of Staff and our goal is work towards improvements for Our People.

For the email correspondance, can you resend this to me, as I have not received any emails for the past 8 months inregards to this, like you, I take reviews seriously and want to sort this out for you.

As I have mentioned in my earlier reviews, building is more than 30 years old and the Tanoa Hotels has done a great job bringing the Hotel back to Life, so my next project is improving the interior decor of the rooms, once it is complete, i will be happy to invite you over to show the Changes and Progress report on what we have done.

Thankyou again NuzSubs for your review, keep me posted on your Free Night and I will send an update from the Police Unit. Let me know when you are all back in Town and I will be happy to catch up with you.

luton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

we stayed here for one night (visiting family) before heading off to the coral coast early the next day. The room was comfortable. air conditioned and staff were extremely helpful and attentive. We initially had a problem with the telivision and remote. We called reception and a member of staff was dispatched within 5 minutes to sort it out succesfully. The small pool was empty when we had a peek (even though we didn't use it) and the menu looked promising (even though we went out for lunch and dinner). It was also handy that the Coral Sun bus actually calls at the hotel before stopping at the Holiday Inn (which saved having to organise a taxi). The brief stop was inexpensive and we will definitely stay here again on future trips to Suva.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Tanoaplaza, Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Bula Vinaka CliveUlut,

Thankyou for your review, its always great to hear about your experience at the Tanoa Plaza Hotel. I had the pleasure of telling my Team about your review and What every guests looks for in a Hotel, and thankyou for sharing this with us.
Next time you are in Suva, please do contact us and we look forward seeing you again in Tanoa.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

The Tanoa in Suva doesnt live up to the expectation I had after staying at the Tanoa in Lautoka. After looking through Suva accomodation this seemed best value and location for a short trip to see the family in Suva.

After viewing pictures online it seemed decent for a few nights, I knew it wasnt going to be up the standrad of hotels at Denarau but I also didnt think it was going to be below average.

We had a deluxe room and this was large with a small bathroom, I found the room very old and worn and seemed like it was used as a party room for the weekend.
The walls need a coat of pain and the floors could do with a good clean.

The bathroom was very small and was in dire need of a makeover and a good scrub.
It wasnt filthy dirty but it wasnt clean... I felt the need to wear thongs in the shower.

Staff are lovely as all staff in Fijian hotels are and the buffet breakfast is a little sad, overall Tanoa Suva did for the weekend as there is not much choice but next time I will be looking at staying at either Quest or Holiday in and not book for the sake of location.

There are definitley other options in Suva, there unfortunatley wont be a next time for me at Tanoa Suva.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bula Vinaka AA19,

Thankyou for your review, my humble apologies for delay in reply. I have read through your feedback and yes, Buillding itself is more than 30 years old, and the Tanoa Group has just taken over about 7 years ago, we did renovations and even though i cant change the size of the rooms or bathrooms, We will certainly make improvements on the interiors decor and the cleanliness of the bathroom facilities.
This will be my projects, it will take time but i assure you, changes will be made and and let us know when you are in town, so we can talk about your review.
Thankyou again for your review, and I do hope to see you soon.

Hotel Manager

Been to Tanoa Plaza Suva? Share your experiences!