“Comfort in Suva” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Suva

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Suva to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Suva
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Victoria Parade | G.P.O Box 1357, Suva, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #3 of 11 hotels in Suva
Auckland, New Zealand
“Comfort in Suva”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I believe this property has had a makeover recently and I found it to be very pleasant. I had not stayed here for approximately 5 years, The reception and restaurant areas are attractive and there is plenty of outside seating around the pool.
My room was clean and well presented although there was a definite musty smell in the wing I was accommodated in.
All the services I would expect are available and (as with most Fiji properties) the staff were super friendly and accommodating. I found the housekeeping staff to be excellent. I had other colleagues with me and they were all pleased with their rooms and service!
Breakfast was included and was superb - plenty to fill up with for the day ahead. We had dinner in the main restaurant one night which was a little mixed. My main (lobster) was well cooked and presented but all the accompanying food lacked seasoning.

The hotel is well located and many parts of Suva are walking distance from the hotel. Fiji Museum is only about 800metres away and worth a wander through.

If they could just deal with that musty smell this hotel would be a 5!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Holiday_Inn_Suva_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Suva, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear kiwisc0t,

Thank-you for your review and sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us and that your colleagues traveling with you also had a great stay. I have shared your comments with the team regarding the positive arrival experience from the lobby, the servicing of your room to the breakfast and pool deck / pizzeria experience and all comments were well received.

In regards to the musty odor you experienced we find that during this time of year the high humidity may cause this issue in the wing when you enter where you stayed, but we are trying different solutions to reduce this incident from occuring and am sure we will find a solution to this.

Once again thank you for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

236 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Polish first
Suva, Fiji
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Hello... i reached almost midnight in suva, i got room no.209,i wait 10 to 15 minutes no body on reception, only security guard was there. paid for room $369.00 FJD. when i enter in the room,it was not realy clean a diffrent kind of smell was there. its very well known company. i request to manegment please notice this small things.....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mittal88,

Thank you for taking the time to making me aware regarding your recent visit with us and my apologies if we caused you any inconvenience during your stay. I have taken your comments seriously and personally taken the responsibility to investigate the matter further with the team.

After reviewing the date & checkin time with our reception footage I was not able to confirm the 10 - 15 min delay and no-body on reception on your arrival at checkin as mentioned and that our checkin procedure was adhered to without delay from greeting on arrival from security to the receptionist etc...

In regards to room 209, I did also inspect the room as soon a I received your concern / comments but also was not able to determine a kind of smell in the room as you had experienced but never the less I have taken your comments on board and have discussed this with the Housekeeping team to ensure that our procedures of room cleaning is strictly followed to avoid this type of issue that you may of experienced.

Mital88 thank-you once again for your comments and allowing me the opportunity to investigate your concerns and feedback.

West Oz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Only stayed one night on a driving trip around the island but wished we had stayed a bit longer.
All the staff were very well trained and friendly especially Alesio the porter who was most helpful with our heavy luggage.
Our room was well presented & clean and the bed was very comfortable.
We had a meal at the bar which was very tasty, the service was quick & friendly and price was very resonable, we also had room service in the evening which was also good although the service was a bit slow [+ 60 minutes].
Would definately recommend this hotel along with all other Holiday Inn Hotels we have stayed in over the years.

Room Tip: Stayed on the second floor of the west wing east end but would say the rooms on the top floor at the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear WestOzBB,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay with us. I have shared your review with the team and they were very appreciative of the feedback regarding your room and the meals you had at the Tapa Bar as well as the interaction with Elisio. In regards to Room Service my sincere apologies regarding the delay in delivery, the F&B team have been briefed accordingly with the feedback to ensure and avoid that this issue does not re-occur in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.Thank-you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Suva.

Sunshine Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

A little hesitant at first but with the reassurance of a friend who had stayed before, I relented and booked this for our stay in Suva - there really are not that many options within walking distance to town.

We stayed for three nights and wished we'd stayed longer as there we're so many things to like:

Staff: of all the lovely people we met during our time in Fiji the staff at Holiday Inn were the standouts. Just one example: one of the housekeeping staff spotted me on the way to the guest laundry and offerred to do my laundry for me. Within a couple of hours my laundry was returned to my room clean and fresh for the cost of a couple of washing machine/dryer tokens. We also had an endless stream of local visitors who were treated with courtesy and respect. When we left it was like saying goodbye to old friends - hugs all round from the staff on duty at the time.

Location: you can walk into town or take a taxi for a few dollars but catching the local bus from out the front of the hotel is a Fiji experience not to be missed. Have 70 cents ready and jump onboard - travel to the bus station and visit the market for a real taste of Fiji.

Wood Fired Pizzas by the pool: a great outlook over the ocean (not suitable for swimming but pretty to look at) our favourite way to unwind after a busy day in town was with a pizza by the pool as the sun went down.

Great beds: ours was so comfy and, despite the location by the main road into town, we slept peacefully each night.

As other reviewers have said, the hotel is not brand new and, as with other tropical locations, does struggle with minor mould and damp issues but this did not affect the quality of our stay.

Good to know: there is a large construction site next door to the hotel. If you're booking here over the next year or so be aware of this. The noise was minimal but it would have been good to be able to request a room away from this if we knew in advance.

Room Tip: Good to know: there is a large construction site next door to the hotel. If you're booking here...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Holiday_Inn_Suva_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Suva, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Coasties99,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience here at the Holiday Inn.

It was a pleasure for me as GM to share your comments with my team and proves there commitment on improving guest satisfaction and the services offered here at the Hotel.

We always welcome both positive & constructive comments as this really provides traction and keeps the hotel on track to ensure guest satisfaction.

Once again thank-you for the comments.

England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

But that might be just me.. I hate to be that girl!
So we arrived for our one night stay in this hotel and were greeted by having some papers pushed our way and not a word from the front desk person which I found a bit strange. In fact, I had to call him back to ask where our room was as he turned to disappear behind the frosted glass without a word.

Once we found our room - it was well equipped - all the usual amenities plus ironing board and good selection of toiletries. The bathroom was a little tired and old but clean. The sink was in a bizarre place outside the door of the bathroom and in the main room itself - but that was OK. The pillows were nice - firm or soft. In general not bad.

The problem we had was we stayed on a Friday night. Now, if we were travelling as a crowd or on business then this would probably not have been a problem - although there are levels! There was a live band playing in the courtyard which the rooms all face. The band played between 6pm and 10:50pm. As I said, I hate to be that person - but the volume was so loud that we couldn't even hear the TV in our room at full volume. The glasses were vibrating on the glass shelf and I really don't appreciate bad rock versions of 'when the saints go marching in' or other loud, really bad versions of really bad songs for that many hours.. Sorry, not my thing. So - if you are up for a bit of a toe tapping time to ear bleeding music then find out when they are playing - if not, find out when they are playing and stay another night and I am sure your stay will be fantastic.

All amenities were fine and there was plenty of choice. The location is good.
Would I stay again? Nope.. there are other places to stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kristi1234

Thank-you for re-submitting your review written on Oct 5 as KristiD. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused and have taken your feedback seriously, but stress that the occurrence that you experienced in August is not repetitive or something happens on a regular basis.

Having said that, as General Manager I do take full responsibility and the incident experienced is something I do not condone and is unacceptable. Prior to receiving your original Oct 5th feedback I personally have taken measures to ensure this behavior does not re-occour. Below is the original response that was made by me regarding your feedback - which I do appreciate and thank-you for, as it allows me to ensure we improve our guest experiences at the Holiday Inn Suva.

Regards,

Joseph

*****TripAdvisor Response Oct 5th*****

Dear KristiD

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Holiday Inn Suva. The information you have provided has been taken on-board seriously and enabled me and the team the opportunity to improve the hotel service and to ensure consistent positive service delivery to our guests.

Regarding your check in experience you are absolutely correct and the manner in which this was handled was not and is no where near to the standard that I would expect. Having said this I have shared the information you have provided and nature of your experience to the team to re-enforce that they maintain the correct procedure at all times.

In regards to the music issue. I am able to recall that this actually occurred in August.

Since occuring, the team & I have placed measures to avoid this type of re-occurrence; including where the musicians play, type of music and volume levels. To ensure we have a balanced approach that meets all guests needs and avoiding disappointments & inconvenience.

The intention of music entertainment at the hotel is to provide guests and locals alike an alternative family venue to relax by the Suva Harbour in a comfortable and unique setting. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience that it has caused you and your partner.

Once again thank you for your feedback and for giving me and the team the opportunity to improve our services at the Holiday Inn Suva to our local and overseas clientele.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Fairly decent, central, moderately clean, service with a smile. Altogether, these are essential qualities for any hotel.

My only gripe would be that it costs twice as much as the nearby Novotel, which seems to be very similar in terms of room sizing/furnishing/etc. I will try the Novotel next time, for a comparison. Btw, the rate with breakfast made no sense - the breakfast on its own was cheaper.

The staff are friendly and helpful, food at the restaurant in the lobby is pretty decent. Also the airport pickup service was convenient and inexpensive.

Will repeat at a better price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear DrSavant,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay.

Appreciate the comments regarding the friendly staff & food at the hotel as well as the inexpensive airport transfer.

The hotels proximity / access is very central to the CBD and over looks the Suva Harbor which makes it a great location for many business & leisure travelers staying in Suva.

Once agin thank-you for your constructive feedback.

Thatcham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel has a great location by the waterfront in Central Suva. It has a lovely garden, a good place to relax in the evening, watch the sunset, have a pizza baked in the outdoor oven and drink a local beer. My room was ok, on the ground floor with a patio door to a small garden, but I would have preferred the room facing the main garden in the centre of the hotel compound. I hope they will replace the carpets in the corridor since these were worn and smelt of damp.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Holiday_Inn_Suva_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Suva, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear GlobetrottingViking for Suva,

Thank-you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Suva. Appreciated the comments regarding your food & beverage experience at Bati ni Wai Pizzeria on the pool deck overlooking the harbor - as mentioned its a great way to relax and watch the sunset.

Also appreciate the the constructive feedback regarding the passageway carpets and will definitely look to rectify the damp smell that you mentioned.

Many thanks once again for your feedback.

Joseph Della Gatta

Been to Holiday Inn Suva? Share your experiences!