“Wonderful place, wonderful people” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort

You added Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort to your Saves list
Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Nadiri Junction (right handside)before Cuvu | Cuvu Sigatoka, Sigatoka, Viti Levu P.O BOX 251, Fiji   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Wonderful place, wonderful people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

This was a wonderful place. If I could give it a higher rating than 'Excellent' I would. From the moment we arrived we began to relax. The resort has clearly been renovated recently, and the villas are comfortable, simple, and well built. I liked the outdoor shower--even in the rain. The beach is almost on the doorstep. I enjoyed being able to snorkel in the lagoon, without having to feel nervous about currents. The water temperature ranged from 'pleasantly tepid' to 'almost like being in a bath'. The fish and corals were many and varied, and we never got tired of looking at them. Everyone was kindness itself--there was a feeling of genuine warmth from all the staff that made our holiday really special. The owners (Ali and Sarah) live on site, and we felt that we were being welcomed to their home. This is a place for people who want to relax, enjoy the scenery, maybe make small excursions (we didn't, as we didn't have a car, but we did enjoy walking along the disused sugarcane railway). I can imagine kids having a ball here--it is also a farm, and they have horses for riding, as well as the wonderful safe swimming. Did I mention the food? Unpretentious, but really good. My husband liked the chicken so much he had it almost every night. Ali, Sarah, Ale, Annie, Sylvie, Simon, John, thank you all. I really would like to come back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Eagle Nest, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort is like a little piece of Heaven in Fiji. For travelers who are looking for something off the beaten path, this is the perfect destination. The resort is 6km off the main road directly on the beach. The villas are nicely appointed with mahogany floors and well made furnishings and are situated 30 feet from the sandy beach. The area is pristine - no manicured beaches. The jungle comes right up to the beach, and you can even see wlld horses galloping in the distance! Namuka Bay is a piece of paradise carved out of the jungle.

To me, the resort easily compares to the $500 US per night tourist resorts - but with much more privacy and incredible value for your money.

The resort is family owned for five generations. Mama San as I call her is the great great grandma and the real boss LOL, yet the grandson runs the day-to-day administration. The staff give personalized service - unequaled in any country or hotel I've been in. Ale and Annie take great care of the rooms, and Sylvia is the outstanding chef.

The restaurant is open 24 hours per day, and Sylvia cooks authentic Fijian dishes and other types of cuisine. If you want breakfast at 4:00 am, no problem! A midnight snack is okay too.

There might be complaints about the lack of electricity during daylight hours and no TV, but you do get the electric back on at sunset and through the night into the morning hours. I got used to it quickly, and it was fine. If this is an issue, why did you come to Fiji? To stay in your room?

I am a spiritual teacher, and let me say that this is the perfect place to get away to find the peace and solace that we all need today. I stayed nearly a month here and feel fresh and rejuvenated. I highly recommend Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort and will stay here again on any future trips to the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Wow..landed back in Sydney first thing I missed this place. Namuka bay is THE place to be, honestly I was astonished when I reached the resort after few days in the rain in suva. I ve been warmly welcomed by the family and received a discount on my first meal. The nights stars were everywhere and I felt like somewhere apart from the.world and the breeze just relaxed my nerves after long days backpacking around the island. Daytime just amazing, I took a walk along the beach to discover a lovely lagoon hidden by rocks and vegetation. I spent there about 2 hours just daydreaming. Sad to be leaving they dropped freefromcharge in sigatoka right to the bus stand for the airport. I ll defenetely go back and bring my.family.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights and the food was amazing the staff made me feel like family. I loved horseback riding and the tour of the caves were amazing. Great beds and loved the outdoor shower. Amazing views, just remember to bring snacks it's a little off the beaten track, but that's a great quality, it gets you out of the hustle and bustle of Nadi with a very secluded beautiful beach! Thank you!! Loved my time!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Villahermosa, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

It is a good hotel but definitely has its pros and cons!
Pros:
The Namuka Bay staff is wonderful, they are smiling all the time, they are really helpful! Also the view from the rooms is really nice, we loved to just stay on the deck together looking at the sea. Food is all grown at the resort, and so very fresh. All meals were tasty and well served. Try the Fish Miti, you wont forget it!!!

Cons:
What made me not like the place is to not have power during day! From 6 AM to 7PM there is no power and so no fan. Really, it was impossible to sleep after 7 AM because it was unbearable hot inside the room!!!! We work hard to have our vacations and relax but being unable to sleep made it really difficult. They say there is "natural AC" with the sea ​​breeze what is true some days and during day. During night we cant leave the door open and so there is no air circulation at all.
I understand it is an "eco-resort" but I would say there is several ways to be "eco" without without taking away the basic things as a fan.
Also, at the first nights (new year), the resort was full and we wouldn't get our meal on time. It happened at least 3 times that we asked to have breakfast at 9 AM and it would arrive 10 AM and only because we went there to ask for it. After a week, with less guests, we had everything on time.
Ah, and if you want to have your room cleaned, you have to ask for it. We are not used to that (usually take out the trash and change sheets are basic things).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I just got back from a 5 day/night stay and it was exactly what I was looking for. The scenery is beautiful and the back door of the villa is just steps from the beach! The staff are all wonderful and eager to help wherever they can.

The resort isn't anything fancy, but was all I was looking for. Simple furnishings with a great view. It is pretty secluded, which means the only noise comes from the crash of the waves. I was in search of a place where I could properly relax and unplug - this was the place for that! The closest village isn't very near and the activities are limited.

The food is good - all fresh grown from their farm. The fruit is AMAZING! Sweetest pineapple, banana, papaya, and mango I have ever had!

There were quite a few bugs. I left with several mosquito bites - I think due to the untimely humid weather. It's to be expected when you are staying in a remote area, right on the water. But definitely worth noting.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone needing a proper getaway from the hustle of a city. All you'll find here is tranquility.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

On arrival at Nadi airport we picked up an AWD rental car and cruised south to our first booking for the trip. The sign on the Queens Road is a little worn, so don't miss it.....there is a fruit and vegetable store on the corner. A 6km dirt road, often single lane, took us to our destination, where we were welcomed by Ole (Resort Co-ordinator) and the Namuka Bay staff. It was a full house when we checked in, but you would not have known, as it was very quiet.
The view from the Villa deck was stunning as they are up high just 30m from the water’s edge. The villas are comfortable and simple....no TV (at all, yeah) or power till 5pm. The power remains on through the night. Water pressure is a little inconsistent, but not a problem.
Food is all grown at the resort, and so very fresh. Everything from vegetables /fruit to chicken and butter are in house. Sylvia does a great job to deliver breakfast, lunch and dinner as required and Simon and the boys will do a "Lovo" (Fiji hangi) on request, pending numbers. Lovo is much tastier than the Kiwi hangi. Pick up some kava at the Sigatoka market and Simon will do a ceremony for you. A good lead up to the “Village River tour”.
The staff are awesome, and nothing is an issue, just ask Ole to organise it. Special food, massage, birthdays, anniversary cakes etc.
The entire beach is yours to explore, however the snorkelling is not great, as there has been much damage from a cyclone earlier in the year. Never the less we managed some good underwater photos of different coral structures and fish. Just a matter of spending the high tide looking for the good pockets of reef.
A vehicle was definitely a benefit, for this resort, as it opens options for day trips to other resorts and Sigotoka township (25 minutes). At Sigotoka there is the markets, many shops to top up on luxuries and essentials, and organise a River Safari trip.....must do. An AWD vehicle is preferable around rain season (Nov to Jan), but they tell me negotiations are in progress to have the road sealed.
If you want to relax and do stuff at your own pace......."Namuka Bay"

Room Tip: Villas 5 to 8 are in better general condition