“A Hidden Treasure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort

You added Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort to your Saves list
Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Nadiri Junction (right handside)before Cuvu | Cuvu, Sigatoka, Viti Levu P.O BOX 251, Fiji   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Canberra, Australia
“A Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

My partner Peter and I stayed in Namuka for 5 nights and we did not want to leave at all on the last day. We loved almost everything about the resort. In Namuka, I fufilled my dreams of riding a horse on the beach. It is a very relaxing place with extremly friendly and helpful staff. Reeze cooked us delicious meals, drove us to hotsprings, lead us to see the cave which belongs to the resort. And, he took us many awsome photos as well.

Sulvia is polite and cheerful. She ensured that we had our needs catered for. I loved the beautiful flowers she gave me and her lovely smile always.

We enjoyed doing kayaking and snorkelling, and also enjoyed relaxing in the hammocks. We just wish we could have stayed longer. But never mind, we know that we will return.

Room Tip: Beach front villa has a great view overlooking the ocean
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I absolutely loved staying at the Namuka Bay Lagoon. I was in Fiji by myslef for just four nights on a visa run, and stayed 3 nights a namuka bay. It was perfect for what I wanted for my time in Fiji...a quiet beautiful beach, good food, friendly staff, and a balcony overlooking the ocean.
Would definitely recommend staying here! Easy to get to, either a transfer for 150FJD one way (too much to pay for one person) or the local bus to Suva, approx 45 mins and 5FJD. Then a short $10 taxi ride from the cuvo police post. The food served was lovely and fresh, and a good selection. As a reminder of what others have said, there really is nothing around, i.e shops/restaurants to walk to so important to know before booking!
Overall a great time in Fiji and would come back to Namuka Bay Lagoon.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

After reading the reviews on this site I didn't not hesitate to make a booking. This was much to my disappointment. Where to I start

CONS:
1. No one knows about this resort which makes it hard to get a taxi from the airport
2.The owner is a rip off
2.1 Charges you F$10 to get to the main road - one way (oh and this is per person not per ride like every other transport ie taxi.) He doesn't mention this when you get in the vehicle (making it seem that it is part of the service provided by the hotel. Only when you go to check out and clear the bill does he hit you with the costs for transfers to the main road or shops)
2.2 Tried to charge me the full rate for the room F$180 regardless of the fact that I got a very cheap rate online (cheaper than the backpacker rate on the resort website)
2.3 Regardless of the fact that my booking was for a Family villa with a double and single bed, the owner told insisted twice that I should have been in the cheaper backpacker accommodation and that he was doing me a favor letting me have the villa??? He also advised me that if it got busy, I would have to move to the backpacker accommodation.
2.4 After 2 frustrating days, I was not happy with the accommodation and I opted to check out after 3 days. The owner wanted to charge me for the full entire period I was supposed to be there, claiming we had a contract. (this was despite not having my booking upon arrival and my booking rate stating I had a minimum 2 night for this resort)
2.5 The owner tried to charge me for breakfast and dinner, despite my booking stating that the rate included these meals.
3 There are no activities at the resort
4 The resort does not organise any tours for its visitors. Every other hotel has a tour desk where you choose what you would like to get involved in and they call the companies for you and organise pick up. Despite multiple attempts to get assistance for activities I was booked for. The owner didn't seem concerned about any of my plans. This leads me to the next problem
5 There is minimal reception at the resort which makes contacting any tours you might have booked almost impossible.
6 The Owner is not very friendly and welcoming, I was very uncomfortable and walking on egg shells whenever he was there. ZERO customer service.
7 The walls are very thin in this place. I was awakened by the loud moaning noises of the couple having sex in the villa next to mine
8 No defined times for electricity. The generator is turned on when it gets dark and is switched off at 11pm. Therefore-
9 No air conditioning during the day, not even a fan.
10 This is not the resort to stay in if you plan on swimming or surfing. There is coral for meters and meters and you can walk out to the end of the reef as the water only gets to about waist deep all the way.

That said there was a few positive things about the place
PROS"
1 Awesome views of the beach from the balcony, if you are in the villas
2 Quiet and very peaceful
3 The train tracks run right through the resort and in as much as I didn't see it, i was told it comes through 3 times a week and goes from the Shangri-La's Fijian to some other hotel to the north. You can hop on and go to other resorts to do other activities.
4 With the exception of one, all the staff were very friendly and tried to help as much as they could with the limitations they had to work with. They kept me entertained and if it wasn't for them and the owners wife, I would have probably left after 1 day.
5 The owners wife was very nice and went looking for a coconut so that the chef could cook us a traditional Fiji meal
6 The fact that there are not a lot of people staying here they personalise the meals to suit the occupants. If you want to have fish and chips, you get that, If you want a curry, you get that. Pretty cool and flexible.

All in all this is a place you only go to to get away from people, technology and the activities. If you are looking for a very quiet place to entertain yourself and just relax.

Room Tip: if you want to stay here, my recommendation is to keep it to a minimum as you can get bored very eas...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
namukabay, Guest Relations Manager at Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Bula Vinaka,

Thanks for your time and your review. We were very dissapointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

however the issues which you have brought up are somewhat false regarding:

1. Getting a much cheaper rate online, "cheaper than the backpacker accommodation in our website"
2. The resort having no activities at all.
3. That we do not organise any day tours, day trips etc etc.

Facts:

if you got a "much" cheaper rate online, cheaper than the backpacker rate "including" your breakfast and dinner please do let other guest know of the website you booked from so they can saave heeapps aswell and provide your booking confirmation and voucher for verification.
all online booking sites inform the traveller to provide their vouchers upon arrival in your case you did not provide the voucher. it is impossible and untrue that you booked for a beachfront family villa including your breakfast and dinner much much cheaper than the backpacker rate on our site.

For your information Namuka Bay Resorts affiliate namely Tourist Information Centre is the longest travel agent in nadi and most probably in the whole of Fiji which sells all the tours, accommodation, rental cars anything which the guest require we can arrange and book at discounted price.

So for arranging tours and activities for you wouldnt be a issue for us.

the resort provides great snorkelling in the lagoon, kayaking, lime-stone cave visits (protected by fiji museum), hand-line fishing, horse riding on the beach, archeological site visit, bonfire on the beach etc etc. its a shame you could not experience the "Real Fiji Living" while you were in fiji and opted to go 5 star which is being offered EVERY WHERE IN THE WORLD.

Quick Facts About the resort:

Wifi internet Available
electricity 6pm-6am and upon request
between the Shangri-Las fijian resort and Intercontinental Golf and spa
25minutes drive to sigatoka town
approximately 1 hour away from the nadi international airport
arrange tours, day trips, accommodation, rental cars etc etc

Vinaka Vakalevu
Rezwan
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

We LOVED this place. The first thing you need to know is that there is just about NOTHING to do except relax at the beach. Having said this my girlfriend and I both went here very worried because we are two people who do not relax very well.However after a few hours at Namuka it was soon impossible to not be relaxed. The views are INCREDIBLE, especially from the bures. The food is good, and very cheap. Everything is organic and the fruit they give you is amazing. Ole the hotel manager is great, she gives you everything you need while also giving you a ton of privacy. We stayed for 5 nights, and did not get bored. The hotel is very secluded, and if you are looking to do a lot of activities do not stay here. Overall this was one of the best travel experiences we have ever had. Also the power is only on for four hours, however there is a constant wind which keeps it cool.

Room Tip: Stay at the Bures, they are more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Bribie Island, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Was here in June and re-visited as I loved it so much. Brisbane is not too far from Nadi so its an easy trip.
I wont repeat all the things about the beauty of the place but a few tips that I may give........
Be aware the generator is on for about 3 hrs at night, so: bring torches and batteries - there is NO power so its totally pitch black. Love for the stars but not for trips to the loo in the middle of the night. Also if you are an insomniacal reader, like me, you will need good light to read. Mosquito coils, too just in case, not really the plugs ins altho they are good for when the power is on, but the ones you light.
Snacks and plenty of reading and entertainment things. Once you are at the resort you are really there and thats it. Altho Mr Ali does travel into town and you can ask him if you can accompany him. He was most obliging when I was there.
The staff are beautiful but not well off. If you love to give out small pressies, this will warm your heart. I decided on little luxuries, like lipsticks for the ladies. Also second hand clothes. Most of the staff are size 10-14 and the men small - medium.
If you are heading to the airport the next day upon leaving Namuka Bay, bear in mind that you wont be able to blow dry hair or shave (using electric implements).
Also, altho the menu has set items, you can ask for what you would like and if its possible, it will be done. There was not salad on the menu but I had lovely salads, with corriander mixed in, plus eggs, cheese, grated raw carrot etc. You need to stipulate clearly what you would like. The chef assumed I meant blanched and boiled carrot, so you just need to get the understandings in sinc and all will be well. The chef Krish is very obliging.
I think there are about 5 ladies and about 8 men. Approx. And 96 goats at the last count!
Oh and if you are in Nadi around the time Mr Ali finishes work he may be able to give you a lift to Namuka Bay and if you are ready to leave in the morning when he does for work, then he may be able to give you a lift into Nadi then. Just check with the office email.
I shall return again, next year.

Room Tip: The villas are by far superb. Cheaper if you are sharing of course. There is one double bed and on...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Hangzhou, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I just came back from Fiji , we stayed 3 nights in the Namuka bay resort , it is a really fantastic places , quiet and peace . You can do anything there , reading a book , listening music , Snorkeling to see the coral and fishes , even horse riding besides the beach . A very stong recommendation for the first stop to Fiji .

Room Tip: Of course Villa , there are only 4 vila , one for owner , other three for rental .
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

This place is incredible. For those who like peace and quiet, this is the place to go. The fact that it's isolated (the access is pretty rough with a normal car), gives all the charm to this beautiful place. My boyfriend and I were the only guests in the resort for the first 2 days. We were greeted with warmth by the our local hosts who really made sure we were happy all the time. The villa where we stayed was located beautiful, and we had an amazing view on the lagoon from the balcony. Ole was cooking us breakfast every day, delicious lunch, and incredible dinner meals with most ingredients coming from their own garden.
The papaya and pineapple were extremely tasty!
In 2 days, I did so much: snorkelling, kayaking (available for free from the beach), horseriding (they have horses on the property!), playing with the goats (plenty on the property), kitesurfing, and just RELAXING on the hammock!
Just loved that place!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!