“Loved it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mango Bay Resort

You added Mango Bay Resort to your Saves list
Mango Bay Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Namatakula Tadrawai | Coral Coast Fiji Islands, Sigatoka, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Sydney, Australia
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

We arrived at the midst of a beautiful wedding taking place at sunset by the lovely beach just outside our bure (hut), we stayed in Bure 6.
i really enjoyed the atmosphere at the hotel, the mix of people staying here (due to all the different room types; from dorms to double beachfront bures), and the general feel of the whole place!

I participated in a kava-ceremony at the hotel, and also a half-day trip to a waterfall (its a 30 min walk to the waterfall, but its not to strenuous) and it was beautiful! My sister went for two ocean dives and loved it, very professional. And the food was excellent! well, maybe except for the continental breakfast...if you like some more fiber in food...this aint for you.... (white toasted bread, sugary cereal, and jam) but good coffee and juice:) Lunch and dinner was really good food, and generally good value, and the mudslides in the bar were to die for!

I enjoyed my 8 night stay here, and would def come back if i get the chance!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

I Just got home from my trip to Fiji and Mango bay was the Highlight of my trip!
although we arrived just in time for the main island to go into lockdown for Cylone Thomas there was always information handy for us gest, No water sports were on and no travel was aloud on the island during certin times,
because of this things ran a little differnt like there was no fish on the menu for days, this being problomatic when half of the dinner menu is fish or seafood related, they also finaly ran out of some other things too but over all there was plenty to eat, The meals are pretty big, could easly be shared between 2 (light eaters)
we thought meals were expecvie untill we stayd at smugglers cove, for 5 nights 2 adults it cost $330 FJ for all meals and most drinks (not heavy drinkers but a few coctails, soft drinks and beer in their). This to us was pretty good!
If you dont like jam on your toast I sujest you bring some vegimite or peanut butter from home! brecky was good always lots of hot toast, cerials, with milk and one juice (was kind of like cordial - like most places here ) and tea and coffee.

We stayed in a Beach front Bure 3 - was absoultly devine! had the best view of the ocean of them all (no trees between it and the beach) I would lay in bed watching the ocean roll in, The out side shower was a delight! omg I loved that shower- there was always hot water as its instant gas hot water, the little gas heater box is hidden out side behind the door, (no tanks or anything).
The room was made up every day with clean towls and sheets (even though we hung them up so we would reuse as per signs in room) they even removed the bark out of the bed canopy that was landing there from the roof due to the strong cyclone winds,
There was very little damage from this cyclone, as it was only wind and rain, lots of leaf matter being blown around but was raked up when the cyclone had passed,

the activitys during wet weather were cooking classes, basket weaving, story telling, swimming in the pool, pool and beach vollyball (great times) there was crab racing which I won! although they always seem pay frist prize to bula boy crab, which was crap coz it was $100fj differnce between first and second place, Still I won about $100fj :D thanks travellers for playing!!!!

once the activitys reopend fully we did a Village visit wich was $6fd and the money went to the village, we were aloud to walk around and chat to the locals, did a Kava ceremony it was over all a plesent experiance that shows the true fijian life,
from there most of us wanted to get the cheep local bus to Singatoka to do some sight seeing and shopping (first day out of lockdown) so instead of going back to the resort first and getting the bus we were going to get it from the village, when The staff who took us to the village called the van driver, and negotiated the price for us to match the local bus price per person and drive us there and back, so we had a guided tour of the town too plus time to spend on our own, It was great!

there was a water fall walk offerd for $25fj and it was very nice, and was told you can wear thongs but as it had been raining the track was very wet and muddie so thongs were bad!!!! I was so annoyed by the end of it as the stupid guide from the resort was walking really fast (well for me it was) and it was hot and muddy and shoes were going every where, when they would stop for water we would catch up but then as soon as we got there they would start walking again so no time for photos or drinks if your a slow walker... so on the way back i headed the lind and walked at my pace and kept it going slower... the water fall was nice and great to swim in, water was cold but really refreshing!

overall I really enjoyed my stay at mango bay! was fantastic in fact, most of the staff expecialy tina (morning watress) and oly (activitys co ordinator) were fantastic, friendly first name basist, great people who love there jobs!

as other people have said the water is not safe to drink and at times visably brownish, take bottled water, you can buy it on site but its cheeper to buy it befor you come, there is free drinking water there but you are not aloud to fill up your bottles with it, only a glass at at time, also Chocolate in Fiji is expencive! so bring from home if you love your chocolate, there is food avalible all day to buy right up to 9pm.
And yes there are some dogs, I only saw 2 some one else mentioned 3 befor, neither of them approhed us at all, they do just roam the grounds but not near there people areas mostly around where the owners are, they are pretty shy dogs one liked a good scrach the other you could not touch as he was soo shy...

getting to mango bay is so easy but there are lots of options, from Nadi airport by pre arranged car its $135fj for 1-3 pp or $180 for more, the local bus from Nadi varies depending on the type of bus you get the non express bus we paid $9.60fjpp, just ask to be dropped at mango bay, some people got the coral coast ones and they have aircon and are tourist based cost up to $45 pp, and there is a mini bus type one as well but its not as safe according to the locals,The ride is plesent with the windows open, lots of seats and locals to talk to, once you get to the mango bay you will either need to call the hotel and ask them to get you from the road (is a long dirt track to the resort) easy done in a car or walk!!!!! would really recomend calling, most of its down hill but its a long walk in the heat!

Mango bay - cheep, fabulouse! fantastic staff!!!! and cant wait to go back!!!! It turly is a hidden gem.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

A fun and relaxing resort/"flash packers" in a beautiful location with a private beach and all the amenities you need.... We stayed in a Beach Front Buree which was perfect! Hope to get back there again soon.... Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

Anybody who complains about this hotel has got to be out of their mind. I had read a lot of the reviews and had mixed feelings before my husband and I arrived, but we had a great time in the end. We stayed in a beachfront bure, which was large and comfortable, and the outdoor shower had plenty of hot water and was a really great experience. There are indeed three dogs on site, all are really tame, two are very friendly and one is afraid of his own shadow so he won’t come near you!

There’s only one restaurant, but the food is fairly good and very reasonably priced. There’s always fresh fish to be had! We went to a neighbouring resort (the Warwick) for a couple of nights, and they have 4 really nice restaurants but at substantially higher prices. It costs about $20 fijian dollars to rent a cab to get there.

The internet costs $10FJ per hour, which isn’t cheap (in Nadi it’s about $3) but it isn’t horrendously expensive either. The speed is a little variable: most times it’s reasonably fast, but it was really slow once.

As for the diving: my husband has had diving experience in Costa Rica, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand and Fiji. The dive resort at Mango Bay is as professional as any he’s found in any of those places. I did my open water course there with Alex Hill, the owner of the dive resort. It was much more rigorous than my husband’s experience in Ko Tao (Thailand), so by the end of my course I was very confident in the water. Because there was nobody else doing the course, the whole thing was one-on-one, which is just brilliant, compared to the 6-on-1 training you often get in places like Thailand (which is annoying since you have to wait for everyone to do each exercise, which takes forever).

We went on a lot of dives, and saw tons of stuff. I have to say though, I don’t think the snorkelling is that great compared to the diving, and you have to go a little ways out to find the good coral. Anyway, the diving is very reasonably priced (much cheaper than at the more expensive resorts) so it’s definitely worth a try. The starting pool lesson is free!
The taxi to and from the resort is pricy, above $100FJD to the airport. There were definitely people who caught a shuttlebus to Mango Bay for anything from $17 to $65, and I’m not sure why there’s a huge difference there.

Biggest draw for this place: the people are wicked. We met about 12 people from all over the planet whom we became really good friends with over the course of the 8 nights we were there. After travelling for over 6 months, we can say that this is one of the friendliest places we’ve stayed at.

The only minor gripe I had didn’t have to do with the hotel itself. There are a couple of older guys who own one of the nearby resorts, and they come hang out at Mango Bay and hit on every girl in sight. I understand why they wouldn’t do it at their own hotel, but they’re definitely kind of creepy!

Koh Samui
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

Gorgeous place, loads of things to do, very attentive staff that make you feel at home, I didn't want to leave, I will be returning! Thanks for a brilliant time.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

i stayed in mango bay for 5 days at the end of may 2009. i stayed with a friend of mine. the staff was really nice and friendly.
because the resort is in the middle of nowhere- the staff where really active by activating us in several activities- be sure you will find somthing to do. and if not- mango bay its a really nice place to just chill out. the prices were acceptable, and the whole place were maintained good. (i stayed in a dorm room).
if you have some nights to spend in fiji- do it in mango bay!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Mooloolaba, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

Stayed here for four days at the end of February this year. English couple Danny & Claire have run MB for the last 6 years and operate this small ‘flashpacker’ (although there were many varied & interesting types, not just the backpacking set) resort in cooperation with the local community. The staff are absolutely lovely (to Nana – ‘OURRO!’) and can’t do enough to assist. The owners should imho be applauded for adopting this model for sure, because in terms of motivation it’s clear that everyone involved loves their job – and it shows.

I had a beachfront bure, booked last minute thru Expedia, looking-out into Mango Bay and the rolling surf fronted by a beautiful shallow lagoon. The rack rate for one of these as displayed in reception was FJ$275, although of course I didn’t pay anything near this much as part of the package.

Bear in mind that if you’re looking for something a lot more luxurious and not so rustic you can get an ocean view / front room at one of the high-end hotels / resorts for less than this figure, so do shop around. However if all you want is someplace simple & young-ish to hang then this could be just your ticket. They also have other accommodation options, including a more-than-reasonably (I’d venture to say ‘bargain-’) priced dorm sleeping 12 which has bamboo screens between each person’s single bed.

The bure itself was OK, nothing fancy but nicely-located ten yards from the beach, and I found myself being lulled to sleep by the gentle surf night after night. I hadn’t counted on the mosquitos much though, and although I was serially attacked by (sorry to say) these and bedbugs the size of small family cars, I found that a liberal application of DEET or other non-toxic anti-insect spray sent the little sods running for someone else’s tender flesh. Tip – if you’re going to eat garlic and drink bourbon then you’re going to be fair game for all these fellas whatever the weather, and if you choose to use protection or not – it’s your call, wherever you go on the south coast.

There is no AC here, for all you igloo-loving thermally-isolated types – cooling is provided by rather tired & ineffectual ceiling fans which are directly above the bed, which is draped in a muslin mozzie-net, practically defeating the object. For AUD$20 apiece I’d say that an investment in floor-standing fans for all accommodation would definitely be a good move as a welcome alternative.

I’d also suggest that the bedlinen, towels and pillows were a bit tired and could do with some proper upkeep – thankfully I’d become friends with the previous occupant, Dave from Melbourne before he left, so actually having the scent of a friend around was quite comforting once I’d settled-in. The sink & wc could do with a spruce-up but otherwise are fine.

The outside shower at the back of the bure was a delight – again, basic but entirely functional – and which also provides a private foliage-clad retreat for those wanting that all-over tan whilst reading a good book or simply kicking-back after a morning on the beach and rinsing the sand from all those hard-to-reach places.

The beach is lovely, bordering on the idyllic - sandy but slightly rocky here & there - stand-up shallow for about 50M. I also won 20 bucks having races against fellow travellers with the little hermit crabs that populate the shoreline – great fun! Watch out for falling coconuts though – it’s an hour’s trip to the nearest hospital!

On the pool – it’s a good size & handy for the bar – there are PADI dive course run here which you can take by the way – it is looking a bit tired. To qualify this MB was hit by a minor hurricane in December 2009 so bear in mind that the resort has cleaned-up a lot since that event, and they’ve done a great job in resuming normal business. On my last day three local guys appeared who were repairing the apex of the adjacent bure, which was a great demonstration not only of their traditional thatching skills but in their ongoing determination to maintain and improve the feel of the place – I wish I could find people to work on houses I’ve renovated with such similar attention to detail in UK, Ireland or Spain lol!

The bar & restaurant area is behind the pool – really handy for grabbing a snack with a local beer or if one’s pocket stretches, to a cocktail or fruity mocktail.

On the bar – I must confess to being a man who likes a good drink there, I’ve said it - so I was eager to sample the local brews as soon as I’d arrived. There is a nightly kava session for the uninitiated at 6pm, although having sampled grog before I steered clear and stayed with the Fiji Bitter or Premium bottled beer – a fine choice whatever the weather or time of day. However, a new friend named Wayne, ex-airman from Sydney, suggested I try the Long Island Iced Tea, which I did. Notwithstanding the five measures of spirits which go into this monster, topped-off with Cola, I reeled more than a bit when I was hit for FJ$20 for the beast.

If I want to pay Miami prices for cocktails like this I’d probably head for South Beach FLA, where I’d usually be at this time of year for the Winter Music Conference – at least the bouncing i-Podd-ed silicone rollerblading down the sidewalk would distract, or quite likely enhance, the overall experience. In my book a good cocktail list here might comprise of maybe 6 house hi-glasses & shorties ranging from FJ$8-15. Twenty bucks for a LIIT is pushing the boundaries of reason to my mind here.

That said, there were plenty of fruit juices available for FJ$4 – mango, orange etc., so if rehydration’s your agenda then you’re amply catered for. Imported spirits & beers are around twice the price of the local tipples so do bear this in mind before you become Mickey Rourke in ‘Blowfish’ and opt to buy ‘A Drink For All My Friends!!!’…

Note - The water from the taps at MB is NOT safe to drink, so don’t try it – there’s nothing big or clever (or noble) in having one’s gut trailing behind you for a week during and after your stay – stick to bottled water. If you’re really keen you’ll find that a 1.5L bottle or three of water from the shops in Sigatoka on your way to MB is definitely a good idea. Similarly I’d recommend taking your own spirits into your accommodation, topping up liberally on fruit juices from the bar whilst mixing your own on the sly as & when needs must, at least until management gets the message and prices come down to a more reasonable level.

As I mentioned there are lots of activities to partake if that’s your thing – beach volleyball, kayaking, scuba and fishing to name a few. Otherwise just pitch & hang-out – there are several lovely little shaded hammocks in which to nestle-up with a good book – salve for the soul.

One thing I have to mention (and I thought long & hard whether to include a comment on this here guys) was that there are several local dogs which appear from time to time – including in the restaurant/bar area. In my book this is a huge NO-NO. No, niet, non, nie, nein – never. Aside from the fact that hounds of most types generally unnerve me – and would certainly unnerve my own children speaking as a parent of three young’uns – there is no way that I could ever find this acceptable.

If I need I’ll lick my own private parts or rear-end (or at least get some other willing party whilst holidaying in the sun to serve that particular peccadillo) thanks. And before you ask – yes I can. Sorry guys but where food and hospitality areas are concerned this really should not be something to have to raise here.

The restaurant food is fine – sometime better than fine, all local ingredients, generally a continental breakfast, salad or featured ‘international’ dishes (pasta, chicken schnitzel, locally-caught fish, usually mahi-mahi etc., with vegetarian options) for both lunch and dinner with a sprinkling of local curry with roti, salad & rice here or there. Again, lovely staff, disarmingly pleasant and with a great sense of humour – they’d need it dealing with me.

Prices range from FJ$6 for soup thru to around FJ$18 for mains. Instead of the a la carte menu it would definitely be useful if there was a prix fixe option for starter, mains & dessert for maybe around FJ$15 – this is the range that backpackers operate within if they wanted to eat a proper meal in my experience.

So, all-in-all Mango Bay Resort was a bit of a find given the budget range, especially for solo travelers or small groups – all credit to the owners for doing a great job in providing a unique little hideaway off the beaten track in Sigatoka and in supporting the local economy.

Before he & Claire departed for a much-needed vacation in Hawaii (happy belated birthday Claire!) Danny explained that the only means of access used to be by boat – they built (or carved!) the unmetalled track down from the main road with a hired-in JCB themselves – there’s good old-fashioned English gumption for ya! A bit rough around the edges maybe, but there’s big heart here. Maybe in a year or two I’ll find time to return – in the meantime keep up the good work – a few tweaks here & there could reap huge rewards in terms of kudos and overall reputation with independent travelers and tour parties alike.

Best wishes for the future & thankyou!

Moce Mango Bay!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Mango Bay Resort? Share your experiences!