“Senganalenga - No Worries!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mango Bay Resort

You added Mango Bay Resort to your Saves list
Mango Bay Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Namatakula Tadrawai | Coral Coast Fiji Islands, Sigatoka, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Sydney, Australia
“Senganalenga - No Worries!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Mango Bay Resort is an awesome chilled out 'flashpackers' and welcome relief from the cheesy resorts Fiji is renowned for. The staff are AMAZING and you really get to interact with them during your stay. Aunty Tina, Epa and Rosie all now have a special place in our hearts. The facilities are low key but that's what makes it so much fun. I couldn't recommend the beach side bures enough as they are super cute, private and absolute beachfront. Paradise!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was at Mango Bay Resort for about a week and it is a very nice chill little place! Although at the time I was there we had only one day of sun (on which I got sunburned so make sure you have sunscreen!!) the staff worked very hard to make sure we were having a good time. Everyone one on the staff are wonderful people and one of the best parts of resort! They always have many activities planned and offered for good prices (some are free, some are a bit extra)!! Activities such as snorkeling, surfing, paddle boating, massages, games, horseback riding, visiting a waterfall (that you could swim in!), villages, church and schools!! It was all a very cool experience! The food was true to Fiji but not so that you were hesitant to eat it, it was all very good! Mosquito repellant is a must, and lots of it! The only thing I was uncomfortable with was the bathrooms, they were out-house like, they did have plumbing no problem, but it was a bit open. as in it wasn't a building that closed, so anything could get in. perhaps the bathrooms by the nicer rooms are better quality, more reason to pay a bit more for a better room.

Room Tip: It's definately okay to pay a bit more for a nicer room, I suggest it.
Burnie, Tas, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

WOW...................
We were amazed at how lovely this place is. We had read mixed reviews and were a little worried that because it was so cheap that it would be crap. NO WAY.
We stayed for 1 week in a Beachside Bure, it was fantastic, comfy, cosy and suited the resort.
The staff were absolutley magnificent, they will do anything for you to make your stay even more comfortable. The daily activities were great fun too.
The food was amazing, not 1 thing we ordered was lacking taste or size.
We got married there on our stay and they orginized everything, we had to just turn up. The wedding was beautiful and relaxed and just the way we wanted it.
We are planning to return in the near future.
Kelly & Tim Downie - Tasmania, Australia

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Heslington, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed a week at Mango Bay Resort, and although the weather was terrible, the staff bent over backwards to entertain us. Free activities include snorkelling and sea kayaking, but for a small fee we could hike to a waterfall, do yoga on the beach (or inside due to the weather), have a massage; there really is something for everyone. The food was incredible and a true taste of Fiji too.
The only thing I would say let this place down was the bathrooms; I stayed in a dorm with a large group, and our toilets were a little unhygienic, but manageable. Also, I cannot emphasize how important mosquito repellant is either in Fiji as a whole...

Ben Lomond, NSW, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and I spent twelve days at Mango Bay and enjoyed every minute. This opportunity was offered by our children (all in their 20's) who visited previously and gave us a five day voucher as a Christmas present. We then extended our stay by an additional 7 days.....
Mango Bay is often referred to as a 'Flashpackers' and perhaps it is.... but it offers so much more. If you want a relaxing venue without screaming children and reflecting a truly Fijian flavour, Mango Bay is ideal. The staff offer a range of daily activities including walks, excursions and crafts and they TRULY enjoy what they are doing! There is no falsity in their involvement (like some other resorts). The resort also offers free access to kayaks, snorkelling and pool. Options such as scuba diving (first lesson free) and ocean fishing are also offered at a cost....

Meals:
During our stay we ate the range of meals offered at lunch and dinner. Presentation of meals was exemplary and service was excellent. The menus offer approximately 10 meal options ($10 - $23FJ) and this gave my wife and myself more than enough dining options. There is also a pool menu offered throughout the day ($5-$15FJ price range). The bar, for those keen to access it, provides a range of drink options - with a few new options to be offered shortly (these were being taste tested while we were there).
The FREE breakfast offering consists of toasts with spreads, cereal, juice and fruit (watermelon, pineapple, banana) and for most people this appeared to be quite adequate. For those desiring more options there was a breakfast menu offering such things as the 'big english fry-up' consisting of baked beans, sausages, bacon, eggs, hash browns and toast for $20FJ. ($10AU), omelettes or bacon / egg / sausage combinations.

Accommodation:
We were accommodated in one of the 11 beachside bures on offer. These consist of a large room with queenside bed and inside toilet. The showers are located outside at the back of the bure. A tall wall surrounds the shower and a garden surrounds the access steps. My wife and I loved it. Blue sky and sunshine, overhanging coconut palms - the shower was relaxing , even when it rained!
Other cheaper accommodation was also offered at the resort providing for 4 people or larger groups.....

Overall:
Mango Bay may not be for everyone. If you are used to 5 star accommodation with air conditioning and golf courses then this is not for you. Access to shopping is restricted as the location is off the main road (bring some nibbles with you if you want this option). While most guests were in the 20 - 30 age group, we are in the over 50's and really enjoyed walks on the beach, swimming in the pool / lagoon or participating in the organised excursions / activities. Added to this was the outstanding service provided by the Fijian staff - even the cleaners! There was not a time (even when I picked up a stomach 'bug') where the staff did not show genuine concern and friendship to both of us. We are already planning a family reunion at Mango Bay for next year and really looking forward to it!

Room Tip: Bures 1 - 6 and 8 to 11 offer more privacy. Bure 7 has a footpath at the front and right side - you...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brampton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The location can be ideal, but due to the lack of effort to keep up with the facilities' needs, this place is a disaster. Some of the walking paths have deteriorated and you can guarantee to step, kick, or touch frogs unintentionally specially in the evenings. The bathrooms were absolutely horrible. It looks like it hasn't been cleaned or scrubbed for years! The idea of an outdoor shower seems nice, but not when you see gecko's everywhere and other creatures. Not everyone experienced what I experienced while I was there, but my legs were basically eaten alive by mosquitoes and possible bed bugs during my stay at this "flashpacker" resort. The food lacked variety and quality. Also, the snorkelling equipment was sketchy, I did not see any form of cleaning chemicals to rinse out the equipment. Very unsafe especially considering that the kayaks and snorkels were pretty much a "sign your name on the paper and take the equipment". Very very unsafe, so much bacteria with different travellers around the world. I have also seen the resort staff washing out old disposable plastic cups. At times, there were visible stains from other previous drinks. I could go on and on about this place, but if the staff weren't so friendly, and 0/5 was an option to rate it on here, I probably would have done it. Although, they say "Fiji Time" a lot and it was a little annoying because 1. my stomach does not run on fiji time and 2. not every traveller that visits Fiji just wants to relax, some travellers like to see everything that country has to offer and with this "Fiji time" mindset, I feel like I was wasting my time waiting around to do an activity or getting food instead of getting more done and seeing more with my time.

Adelaide
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This 'flashpacker' resort is in a very secluded , idyllic location and as such could take more care with its services, food in particular. On this tropical island of plenty, one should at least expect generous offerings of fruit and fresh juices, fresh fish etc. As the visitors are a captive audience, there is nowhere else to purchase food, so it makes it rather unpalatable to be offered juice from a carton and lots of frozen food and deep fried frozen calamari and fish.
Many of the outdoor furniture items eg sunlounges, hanging chairs, were broken and there were very few with cushions.
The bures were very cute but so poorly lit that reading was impossible at night, and the water was a bit unreliable. No fridge or tea/coffee making facilities in room or elsewhere - it must be ordered at the restaurant.
As my holiday was about the relaxation and the food, it did let me down on the food. It was still very relaxing.
It would also make good sense to have a guest library of novels to read and exchange. We tried to donate ours to that cause but I think they went home with one of the staff as no facility was available. Pity!
This is a very pretty little resort which could be something special without a great deal of effort or expense.

Room Tip: beachfront bure away from dining hut
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Mango Bay Resort? Share your experiences!